And obviously from when I first did I have more knowledge of them now. So I like my strings, I think they were like Ernie Ball Slinkys and 10 gauge or something.

I've decided since I am beginning to drop tune, I MAY want to change to 11's, but I'm not sure yet.

Now with that out of the way, I play a lot of Metal, Thrashy tones, Prog Metal, Traditional Metal, Doom Metal, whatever. I like strings that are easy to play, but I want a balance, like a crunchy Metal kind of tone. So I can take a little bit of harshness, but I don't want them too harsh on the hands.

If I missed any details let me know.

So what would you recommend?
Get some elixirs. Best strings ever!*

If you're going to drop tune look into getting light-top heavy-bottom string sets (like 10 - 52 instead of 10 - 48 for example) so that the lower strings will be a bit tighter for riffing while the top ones are looser for bending and soloing and stuff. Of course it's all a matter of preference but that's what I would recommend.

*DISCLAIMER: Obviously just my opinion, please no one get too upset over this.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I use 12's in D. 13's may require some more changes to the setup of my guitar, but I can definitely recommend anyone to try thicker strings.
I don't like Elixir strings at all. Feels like playing with a condom over your strings, and the effect is the same as a condom imo. You trade protection for the feeling you get from playing.
If I'm high, does that make me a Flying Dutchman?

Legal weed, windmills, clogs, and speed cameras. Welcome to the Netherlands!
Quote by McGryphon
I use 12's in D. 13's may require some more changes to the setup of my guitar, but I can definitely recommend anyone to try thicker strings.
I don't like Elixir strings at all. Feels like playing with a condom over your strings, and the effect is the same as a condom imo. You trade protection for the feeling you get from playing.

The thing I (again I stress, me personally) find about elixirs as opposed to other strings I've played is that other strings feel great for the first few days (or even day if you play a LOT) and then after that they start to feel lifeless - which is fine if you're a famous guitarist who has a tech that re-strings your guitars for you everyday, but I gather most of us are not. xD Where as elixirs tend to be fairly bad for the first few days and then once you've worn them in they sound/play fantastic for months.

To be fair, I was about to argue that the guitar I'm holding at the moment plays great with elixirs, and then I remembered that it doesn't have them on it at all.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Try dean markley misfits thay are nice
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Thanks guys. I'm not sure how I feel about Elixers, it feels like paying too much for a type of string. I'll look into them though.

I forgot to mention I actually think I was using D'Adarrio Heavy top medium bottom strings I think on another guitar. I like those too, but they get a little bit more of a brighter tone, which is kinda why I have them in a Squier Stratocaster that I don't use often.

so you guys got me set on looking into some thicker strings, I don't drop tune THAT much, but I'll do some Nevermore riffage (when I get a 7 string ) and I also do some Doom/Sludge Metal ala Black Sabbath, The Melvins, Sleep, High on Fire, etc. So I'm thinking either 11's or 12's
Quote by McGryphon
That's what I was worried about (in a less metaphorical sense). I'm afraid they will sound more sterile.
Elixirs are more expensive, but they last more than twice as long as regular strings.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
That's what I was worried about (in a less metaphorical sense). I'm afraid they will sound more sterile.

That's kind of what I was getting at when I was saying you have to wear them in. Once you play for a while they start to feel more natural and they sound fantastic. And as the guy above me said they last WAY longer. Some of my elixir-strung guitars I haven't changed in about a year and they still play the same. As opposed to other strings I've tried which felt dull after a couple of weeks.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I use DR Tite-fit 10-52s. They work quite well until you start going into the B standard range. They're great for drop D, D standard, etc. while still feeling great in E standard.
I vote for light top heavy bottom strings, 10-52. D'Addario and Ernie Ball both make good sets.
CHECK OUT MY METAL BLOG: Metal Mouth

ESP LTD MH-400NT
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Jackson RX10D Rhoads
Ebony Epiphone LP Standard
Taylor Big Baby acoustic
Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall 1960a
Boss MT-2
Boss TU-2
Ibanez TS9
Quote by Arkinazz
I vote for light top heavy bottom strings, 10-52. D'Addario and Ernie Ball both make good sets.
Does anyone know if Dimebag's signature strings have Heavy bottom light/medium top?
Elixers on acoustics are good, but I hate them on electrics. No tone, bad sustain, weak harmonics and expensive as hell.

edit to belows post... Anyone who would leave strings on their guitar for a year is not worth listening to their advice about strings really.
Last edited by Tempoe at Mar 30, 2011,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
And obviously from when I first did I have more knowledge of them now. So I like my strings, I think they were like Ernie Ball Slinkys and 10 gauge or something.

I've decided since I am beginning to drop tune, I MAY want to change to 11's, but I'm not sure yet.

Now with that out of the way, I play a lot of Metal, Thrashy tones, Prog Metal, Traditional Metal, Doom Metal, whatever. I like strings that are easy to play, but I want a balance, like a crunchy Metal kind of tone. So I can take a little bit of harshness, but I don't want them too harsh on the hands.

If I missed any details let me know.

So what would you recommend?

Currently my newest guitar is tuned in B standard and does pretty well with Ernie Ball 10-52 though I'd say it could possibly benefit from higher gauge strings I can't be bothered with the setup and these feel comfortable.

Quote by Tempoe
Elixers on acoustics are good, but I hate them on electrics. No tone, bad sustain, weak harmonics and expensive as hell.

Speaking of I just picked up a new set of Elixir 12-53s yesterday for my Maton, which is what it was originally strung with. They are amazing! the first set lasted a very long time (nearly a year) and were still fairly comfortable to play but I could hear the tone dying. I couldn't recommend anything over them!
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Last edited by nitestick at Mar 25, 2011,
Right now my Ibanez is rocking some Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys. And they're great. I love them, they feel great, and they've been on my guitar for a few months now, feeling the same as they did the day I put them on.

That said, I also love Dean Marley Blue Steel LTHB's. I put them on my Viper and loved their feel, but they interfered with the EMGs. But if you don't have actives, I'd HIGHLY recommend them.
Quote by trueamerican
Right now my Ibanez is rocking some Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys. And they're great. I love them, they feel great, and they've been on my guitar for a few months now, feeling the same as they did the day I put them on.

That said, I also love Dean Marley Blue Steel LTHB's. I put them on my Viper and loved their feel, but they interfered with the EMGs. But if you don't have actives, I'd HIGHLY recommend them.

I used to be a devout user of Dean Markley Blue Steels on my LP Junior and warlock, I'm giving some 9-46 Slinkys a shot on the LP Jr though to see if I want to change over, I have a lot of trouble finding 9-46 Blue Steels .
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
I know I could get them online but I like the convenience of "I need new strings, I'll drop in at X store". I guess the solution is buy a few packs online at a time...which is amazing I couldn't think of that lol.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by nitestick
I know I could get them online but I like the convenience of "I need new strings, I'll drop in at X store". I guess the solution is buy a few packs online at a time...which is amazing I couldn't think of that lol.

And they're cheaper online usually

I buy 4-5 packs at a time if I know I like them, and 2 if I don't know yet.
So I think I've narrowed it down to either

Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys*, Ernie Ball Skinny top heavy Bottoms, or DR's Dimebag signature strings.

*I can also get the titanium reinforce/coated ones too, so which would you guys recommend?
I havent tried the coated ones, the normal slinkys seem to last a while though.
My Gear:
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Bugera 6262-212
Don't even start with the drop tunings, not worth it. At first you'll be like "oh my god d sounds sick but i want to try c"...and you will need new heavier strings and then you will want to be more brootal and go to b and then a and then yeah...you go gay like me with drop z haha