As a guitarist who plays a lot of rock, metal, leads, and neo-classical type stuff. I've always loved a great Floyd Rose trem setup. Now, I really hate it when every time I ever actually decide it's time for me to trade up to a better beauty, and share my last with the next budding guitarist to come along. I always get shafted on the trade-in values of my guitars, because they are locking system guitars. I used to be a big Jackson guy, but as of the last bunch of years I've played mostly Ibanez.

What I want to know is. Why in the hell does a FR setup affect the value of a guitar in trade. If anything, I would think a really nice FR would make it more valuable. The whole, "It makes it harder to sell...", bit. I don't buy it. Being in a band for many years, and playing with tons of different types of bands. I'd have to say probably almost 80% used some sort of trem guitars. Especially metal bands, and they're a freaking dime a dozen around here. A Les Paul is actually a diamond in the rough around here these days.

This topic is sparked by my recent attempt to trade my Ibanez RGT3120TP towards a J. Custom that by some unknown act of God appeared in a guitar shop near my house recently. I actually burst out laughing when they offered me, I think he said 400, or 450 in trade, or 300 cash. Especially since my guitar was in absolute mint condition, setup professionally to play like freaking butter, and is worth atleast $1500 brand new. Technically more since a lot people pay more for the extra setup I put into all my guitars. Also the nicest hardshell case money can buy, with the plush velvety lining, and I even brought the certificate Ibanez gave me signed by the guy who hand crafted, and tested my guitar. By the way, I looked up their prices on used 3120's later, and they were selling from 900-1250 used depending on condition. So technically they only wanted to give me a third of what they would sell it for. WTF MAN?! I know they need to turn a profit, but almost 70%?! That's worse than a freaking pawn shop. Also, obviously I was given the difficulty to sell speach as well. Hence this whole topic.

QUESTION PARAGRAPH:
Which leads my to my actual question. I'd like to know how many guitarists on here would actually prefer a really nice Floyd Rose setup guitar to a standard style with no trem? If you wouldn't mind, also the style you play most often, and the length of time you've been playing guitar. I actually almost want to have a little survey about this, because this really bugs me. Next time a salesman tries to sell me that garbage I can show him factual proof that he's full of shit. Even if it's only 40% of us guitarists that want trem. That's still a whole hell of a lot.

I play almost all styles of guitar, and find that I can do just about anything with my Ibanezes. I mean sure, if I'm going play some finger picking classical, I'll go pick up my acoustic or classical guitar. Maybe sing by the campfire and play "Hotel California" and "Sweet Home Alabama", and shit. But shit, if they made a locking bridge acoustic, I'd probably buy that too! lol Who really cares that it takes 5 more minutes to restring, and tune. It's worth the being able to pull a bar that allows my strings to flop off the fretboard, and then let it go and never miss a note, or beat. Honestly, I'm so accustomed to it by now that it actually takes me longer to string my acoustics. :/

Anyways, any input would be appreciated. I'd like to have an average to show the next salesman that pitches me that crap. What would be awesome is if the average is higher... haha. By the way, I'm sorry if anyone's interest was peaked by the sale of the RGT3120TP. It has since been departed to anothers arms. A buddy of mine always loved that guitar, and wanted to help me get my JC, so he payed a very fair price for it. I'm the proud owner of a RG8270! Figured I'd nip that question in the bud before its even asked.... sorry for the long post guys. Just something thats bugged me for a long time.

This is actually my first post here. I've been using UG.com forever, but just became a member recently. I didn't even really know there was members. I always just grabbed a quick tab or 2 in passing before. heh also thanks to all you submitters. You guys do an awesome job, and I've learned so much just from having the ability to utilize this stuff. And I've been playing for 17 years, and took lessons for 7 of em. So me still being able to learn stuff is awesome. I'm starting an instructional site myself. I will share the link with you guys when it's completed. I hopefully I'll be taking people from learning to read tab. All the way to Paganini's 5th caprice. haha

Also, I'm on riffworks.com too. My name is the same there, takeaimnfire. Dunno if anyone else here knows about that site, but its really cool and fun. Pretty much anyone that owns anything line 6 probably does though. Anyways, here's the link http://www.riffworks.com/members/takeaimnfire Check it out, I got a bunch of stuff up there, and much more on the way soon. All right, later all, and I look forward to everyone's feedback on my question.
Tl;dr :\
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Amazing how there is such a concise response that answers your wall of stupidity.

Dont be a mug.

Never ever ever trade gear in at a store.

Sell it privately and just be patient.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Mar 23, 2011,
what you need is a new amp.
edit: i use a dean vendetta 1.0, ibanez GRG170Dx, custom tele and a fender classic payer 50's strat. my strat and ibby both have trems, but do i use them? never...

i play mostly blues, rock, jazz and a bit of country.

why don't i use trems: because there's really no real need for them.

and i know you're gonna say "you don't play metal, you won't know what a FR/locking trem is for" and actually yes i do. i've USED them, but not got a guitar equipped with one.

people don't want them because it takes an hour to change strings, especially if you're changing to a different gauge.

people don't want them because they're an absolute ballache.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Mar 23, 2011,
^What Tom said. Almost all guitar stores will rip you off, mostly because they won't make much if they don't.
Lol I was originally going to just say 'cool story bro' but u figured that would be too asshole-ish
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I'm just asking what string system people prefer to please my own curiosity guys. And if you read the whole post, you'd see I did end up selling it privately. It was the first time I tried trading in a really long time, because I saw a JC and heart stopped. I had to have it.
A JC? could you clarify?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I dunno what my amps have to do with anything either. Trust me I'm fine on amps. I have a TSL100, EVH5150, and a Line 6 Flextone II that I use for some effects, and a few tones. If you're refering to my recordings. Those are just quick little things I put together in Riffworks with my Pod XT, and a fake drummer. I enjoy working with the digital Line 6 stuff lately though. You can really do a lot with it. Riffworks is just a site meant for guitarists to jam together, and share riff ideas and such.
And like I said, sorry for length. I was bored, and couldn't sleep, so I started rambling. That's why I put the question in bold, so if you didn't feel like reading the whole thing you would atleast read the question.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
I don't usually tl; dr.
In fact, this may be the first time I have ever. But yeahhh.... tl; dr...

Yeah... I don't usually either, but that is a stupidly long post.. when you post something that long it should be a really interesting story, not some long rant... at least add a tl;dr to summarize it.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by austhrax
never sell your guitars

You're right. Normally I wouldn't, but this is a guitar I've trying to find for literally years, and it was my only option. I didn't have 2,500 dollars lying around to blow, but in my mind it was totally worth it. All I did was uprade the one I sold anyways.
Quote by Lovecannon
Yeah... I don't usually either, but that is a stupidly long post.. when you post something that long it should be a really interesting story, not some long rant... at least add a tl;dr to summarize it.

So sorry. I'll remember to get straight to the point, and have 0 personality next time.
Quote by takeaimnfire
I dunno what my amps have to do with anything either. Trust me I'm fine on amps. I have a TSL100, EVH5150, and a Line 6 Flextone II that I use for some effects, and a few tones. If you're refering to my recordings. Those are just quick little things I put together in Riffworks with my Pod XT, and a fake drummer. I enjoy working with the digital Line 6 stuff lately though. You can really do a lot with it. Riffworks is just a site meant for guitarists to jam together, and share riff ideas and such.

'what you need is a new amp' is a joke. Whenever you come across ******ry on UG, you say it.
EDIT-
damn you UG for censoring. I said F@ggotry
Last edited by dhruvrajvanshi at Mar 23, 2011,
One of my guitars has a floyd rose, the other has a tune-o-matic. The only reason I bought a guitar with a floyd is because I couldn't get all the other features I wanted without one. Like other people have said it's a real pain to restring, especially when going to a different tuning or string gauge. It also bugs me that it's very hard to do two string bends.

On the plus side I do like how it's flat and easy to rest my hand on when palm muting.
Quote by markisouvlaki
One of my guitars has a floyd rose, the other has a tune-o-matic. The only reason I bought a guitar with a floyd is because I couldn't get all the other features I wanted without one. Like other people have said it's a real pain to restring, especially when going to a different tuning or string gauge. It also bugs me that it's very hard to do two string bends.

On the plus side I do like how it's flat and easy to rest my hand on when palm muting.

Sounds like maybe it could use a little better setup if you're having problems with bends. They should actually be easier because the bridge should slightly give when you bend.

But ya, I think that's why a lot of people who play metal use them. They are much easier for muting. While I don't use it very often I do actually enjoy they occaisonal harmonic screamer, and I could never pull that off without one. I'd have to stop in the middle of songs and retune.

Most newer FR's have 2 open holes on the back now for the bridge so you can adjust for tunings easier. It's pretty nice. I've gotten so used to it that I really don't even think about it anymore. I just do it. I have all the settings down to a science after so many years. Thanks for your input.
I love having a floyd on my carvin. I don't care that it takes longer to change strings, etc. I love the fact that I can play for weeks without having to tune. I love being able to actually use my trem without the tuning going to hell. Even if you don't whammy the hell out of it, it's worth having for me for the tuning stability.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
The finally caught on to all the guitarists leaving the backing off of the spring cover. haha
Quote by jpatan
I love having a floyd on my carvin. I don't care that it takes longer to change strings, etc. I love the fact that I can play for weeks without having to tune. I love being able to actually use my trem without the tuning going to hell. Even if you don't whammy the hell out of it, it's worth having for me for the tuning stability.

I agree jp, thanks.
Quote by dhruvrajvanshi
'what you need is a new amp' is a joke. Whenever you come across ******ry on UG, you say it.
EDIT-
damn you UG for censoring. I said F@ggotry

Lol, so me complaining about guitar shop practices is gay? It's pretty sad when you can get more for your guitar at a local pawn shop then you can at a guitar store... especially when you're just trying to give them a sale to make money off you twice. Once for the purchase, and then again on their 60 plus percent they make off your guitar/trade.
EDIT
I forgot to mention also, just because of the style bridge on the body.
Like I said, it was my first freaking post. I didn't realize how bad I rambled on. The reactions is exactly why I usually avoid boards anyways. Just trying to find out what bridge style is more popular to people on this site, and people flame me just because I explain why I'm asking the question.
Last edited by takeaimnfire at Mar 23, 2011,
you'll never get the answer you want.

Some people will swear by their chosen style, others, like myself will happily compromise, I have had guitars with floyds and then blocked them all.

A store is not going to care if a guitar has a floyd or not when they part ex it with you. They will be taking the piss with the price because that is what they do.

You saying,

"X amount of guitarists want a floyd" will not affect the price they give you mate.

Simple as that.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd also say never sell a guitar to a shop. They won't bother with it unless they can make a couple hundred bucks, and to do that they have to bend you over. I took a mint epi that was less than a year old into GC a while back and they gave me less than half the new price($600). Then they turned around and priced it at $500. If I had been patient and sold it on craigslist I could have easily gotten twice what they gave me, but I had to have that shiny new axe RIGHT NAO!!! Lesson learned. Don't even get me started on amp trade in. I shudder to think what they gave the poor bastard who traded in the 6505+ combo that's sitting in my local GC for $400. Probably gave him a 10% off coupon and a pack of GHS boomers or something.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Tom 1.0
you'll never get the answer you want.

Some people will swear by their chosen style, others, like myself will happily compromise, I have had guitars with floyds and then blocked them all.

A store is not going to care if a guitar has a floyd or not when they part ex it with you. They will be taking the piss with the price because that is what they do.

You saying,

"X amount of guitarists want a floyd" will not affect the price they give you mate.

Simple as that.

Ya, I've just heard it so many times that it made me curious to find out the truth. I've been playing floyd's for 17 years now. Even my first guitar was a floyd. So over the years I've been through so many guitars. Anytime I ever brought one anywhere. I hear the same thing.

Even I own a couple non-fr styles as well, but prefer them by far.
Quote by jpatan
I'd also say never sell a guitar to a shop. They won't bother with it unless they can make a couple hundred bucks, and to do that they have to bend you over. I took a mint epi that was less than a year old into GC a while back and they gave me less than half the new price($600). Then they turned around and priced it at $500. If I had been patient and sold it on craigslist I could have easily gotten twice what they gave me, but I had to have that shiny new axe RIGHT NAO!!! Lesson learned. Don't even get me started on amp trade in. I shudder to think what they gave the poor bastard who traded in the 6505+ combo that's sitting in my local GC for $400. Probably gave him a 10% off coupon and a pack of GHS boomers or something.

lol. anytime I ever have in the past they were junkers I didn't care about. i didn't realize they were dicks about everything no matter how valuable, so that's why this experience just blew my mind. i had the same, "have it now" mentallty though, but thank god i knew my buddy had always wanted to buy it off me.
Thanks for all the genuine answers. Like I always knew. It appears there really is no difference in the market after all. I just wanted to make sure after salesman trying to beat that stupid shit into me for all the years I've been playing guitar.
ive used a few guitars with a FR style trem. I love them, but im yet to own one i already know my next guitar will be a les paul, after i get my new rig, then maybe a nice ltd with a fr? I want one haha
I have a love hate thing with fr's It's almost fun changing things on them if it works. I solved the being a bitch to change tuning thing by buying several guitars for different tunings LOL
To actually answer your question, I *HATE* floating trems.

I've been playing for about 6 years now and i play (depending on my mood) either a lot of blues or a lot of metal (shred nonsense). I absolutely hate locking nuts because it takes me an extra 10 minutes to change strings or dramatically change tunings (god forbid you need to play in an open tuning or drop more than a half step). Beyond that i have the bad habit of anchoring my picking hand on the bridge (at least when i palm mute) and you can't do that on a floater without shifting the pitch.

That said: i could see the Floyd Rose being a turn off to many customers, To me it's just like trying to sell an artist series Strat :Yeah it's a better option, yeah it can be a sign of quality, but unless you specifically want one, you're not gonna buy one, nor is it necessarily going to drive the price up. I might want to buy a new car... I don't give a shit about the radio in said car so trying to throw in a new radio isn't going to make me willing to spend more cash.

(this said, I'd still kill someone for an ibanez paul gilbert signature, or satch signature...)
well is it the trem or just store policy?

my local store policy is 25% of retail nomatter the item. they will sell it for 50% of retail, and they need to mark up so they give you 25%. so a 1000 fender = you ge $250 in cash.

BAD. however for a big name you could probably bargain since they will sell it fast.

anyways, it might not be the trem.

to answer you question?

i wouldnt mind having a guitar with a floyd to mess around with, however, i dont have enough money for many guitars, and i would never use one seriously. its just too radical an object and i dontneed to play like that live.

its big, heavy, expensive, and complicated. a guitar is very simple. a floyd makes the mechanical aspects of a guitar about 10X as hard with restringing, tuning, keeping the bridge itslef tuned, you can change tunings easily, and you can change string guages easily.

the other day i played in standard, half step down, drop C, and then raised the pitch from normal all in about a 5 hour playing period.

yeah, probably not the best for my guitar, but screw it i want to play a lot of stuff in 5 hours. i did it with my epi les paul with 10 heavy bottoms. i didnt need to adjust anything.

THAT is why i dont want a floyd...and never will.
oh and 2nd part:

most guitarist arent there yet and ready for a floating trem. ever seen a typical small guitar shop? about 90% bs cheap asian copies right? a few nice guitars?

well that says something about the market. out of the tens of thousands of people who pick up guitars every year, few people actually put enough time in to get good or want nice stuff. out of those people few play the type of music to need a floyd.

so, even if you are very good, perhaps you just want a regular trem, not a floyd.

personally, i find not having one is more stable and simple. plus, it forces me to improve my technique to use vibrato with my fingers and other techniques (the other day i began doing a trem effect by pressing down on the strings above the nut. stuff like that. experimenting).
to answer the TS's question, I personally hate locking trems/FRs. And I would never buy a guitar with one. Actually, I dislike tremolos in general, except Strat Trems

Now, that being said, I do have strat and it has a trem that I use from time to time, and I don't really see why people don't like those trems.

Also, TS, if you were preparing a statistical statement based on numbers you get from UG, using a thread is flawed way of gathering data. You'll only get the people who care very heavily in one way or the other and no middle ground. If you were actually trying to produce a valid statistic, you'd have to PM every person on UG and get them to personally reply. But remember, UG does not represent guitarists as a whole, only guitarists who are technologically inclined enough to know how to use a forum.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 6, 2011,
I'm a big fan of floating trems. I've got one on my Jackson DK2M. It's a JT580LP LFR, and I'm a big fan of the tuning stability and the feel of it under my palm. The fact that it's also a vibrato unit is like an added bonus!

I like to set up my guitars to a particular tuning and leave them there, so the fact that a Floyd holds your tuning rock solid is great.

Oh, by the way, whenever you refer to your JC, I read it as "Jackson/Charvel"
Perhaps a sign that I'm a little obsessed with that company? :P