I've been researching and researching and I just cant make up my mind about this amp. It seems like the PERFECT solution to messy pedalboards with thousands of pedal boards and midi controllers, I'm practically 100% sold on the clean tone by watching the demos by that european guy on youtube and listening to the presets by Simeon on soundcloud, but i'm still unsure about the distortion side of the amp.

The only band Im certain that uses them is Dead Letter Circus here in AUS.
DLC use them exclusively and their live & recording tone sounds perfect for what they want, so they're definately a positive argument for the axe fx's goodness, but their guitar tone isn't exactly what i;m looking for, i want to be able to go frompassable dist rock tones to the heaviest (and tightest) modern metal tones (a.k.a Periphery, Lamb Of God)

I've heard Bulb (Periphery) uses the amp exclusively for recording, but I'm not sure if this is just hype or not, does anyone know for certain?

Furthermore, does anyone have personal experience in their reliability\tone\ ease of use?

Sorry if this thread starter is all over the shop, but its late and i am well tired hahaha
Everything owes its existence solely and completely to sound.

Sound is the factor which holds it together.
All of the Periphery album was done using Axe-Fx, and I know for certain that at least Bulb and Jake use them live too. Meshuggah use Axe-Fx, even with their various endorsements I know from insiders that their live tone is all Axe-Fx. For more bands, just check out the artist section on Fractal Audio's homepage.

Also go to the Fractal Audio forums and check out the recording section.

As for reliability, tone and ease of use, the tone is anything you want it to be, it's simple to use but it takes a while to understand all the necessary parameters. The reliability is, well, if you keep it in a rack and don't throw it around it should be fine...
-->youtube-->fearedse's channel-->amp testing-->axe fx clips
enough said
Quote by deepsal
-->youtube-->fearedse's channel-->amp testing-->axe fx clips
enough said

[/thread]

edit, get something productive in here,

apparently (from people ive spoken to) theyre not to hard to programme in, they say its hard at first, but after a while it comes second nature.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Mar 23, 2011,
don't periphery use ENGL powerballs? at least I'm sure they use to
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by bikerboyjosh
don't periphery use ENGL powerballs? at least I'm sure they use to

i think they might use Powerballs for the Poweramp section with the Axe-FX as the Pre-amp
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Chris Broderick and Steve Vai: Axe FX Ultra. 2300 USD or something like that.

If you have the money, buy it!
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Periphery use Axe fx, i hung out with Bulb after a show in London UK and he said its just easier to take on tour. less things to go wrong and less space taken up

that being said im not a fan, too fiddly for my liking

Quote by bartnijman
Chris Broderick and Steve Vai: Axe FX Ultra. 2300 USD or something like that.

If you have the money, buy it!

vai uses the effects, not the amp sims. he still uses Carvin Legacy amps
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
A guy I work with has one, & it can do just about anything & sounds great. As someone stated above, my friend also said it was a minor learning curve at first to get things sorted out, but after playing with it for a while it became a piece of cake. Also extremely reliable-he's used it heavily for about 2 yrs now with no issues whatsoever. Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
An Axe Fx is Budhdha in a box.

You can make ANY sound with it.

Cons?
Fiddly.
Expensive
You need to know what each block does perfectly. Random twirling of dials will NOT get you good tone.

You can afford it, and can use the features, GO FOR IT.
Youll never need another upgrade
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Animals As Leaders I hear use them as well. The thing is damn pricey - but it sounds legit.

Speaking of which, I've seen them a couple of times and their sound is very very clear and articulate but it does lack a bit of presence. That might just be their eq though.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?