So I am undecided about which Noise gate to buy, I am looking at either the MXR smartgate or ISP decimator.

I've done some reading and I hear positive things about both, though I feel the ISP is more often recommended.

I went to my local guitar shop and both pedals were out of stock, so I couldn't test either, though the clerk suggested the ISP.

I've never really turned my amp up high, as I play in my room. Therefore, I am not looking to kill amp buzz/hum, I am looking to kill the extra noise that is made after I turn on my dirt pedals (Boss DS 2 and EHX fuzz). So I'm looking to put if after those pedals, I think ?

Just looking for opinions and suggestions.

my rig is as follows

Mex stratocaster --> boss compressor --> boss ds 2 --> ehx fuzz --> noise gate? --> ibanez wh 10 --> mxr phase 90 --> tonfancier binyang chorus --> tonefancier flanger --> mxr micro amp --> fender hot rod deluxe

thanks!
Strat, Les Paul

Big Muff, Ibz Wh 10, BossCS 3, Boss DS 2, Binyang fl-8, Binyang Ch-8, MXR micro amp, MXR 90
Dude I would honestly go with the NS-2 the X pattern hook up option does a killer job silencing your amp without robbing tone. I had the ISP for a week when I lost my NS-2. When I found my NS-2 I got rid of it.
so your saying something like this

guitar --> input ns 2 --> output --> 2 dirt pedals --> return --> send --> phase ... ?
Strat, Les Paul

Big Muff, Ibz Wh 10, BossCS 3, Boss DS 2, Binyang fl-8, Binyang Ch-8, MXR micro amp, MXR 90
Quote by Hadeed
i would put the noise gate first in the line (definitely before the compressor)

What's the point of a noise gate to silence your pedals if you put it first in the chain :P
I have a Boss NS-2 last in my chain and it works perfectly!
Quote by magic medicine
What's the point of a noise gate to silence your pedals if you put it first in the chain :P

Check out the X hookup pattern. Your guitar goes into the input and out the send I believe into the input of the amp. Then your pedal chain (from the send of the fx loop) ends with the return on the NS-2 and the output of the NS-2 runs back into the return of the FX loop. That sounds confusing but theres an image on the web demonstrating it quite easily...if only I could find it.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/boss%20ns2/Desventrar/ns2_x_connection.gif?o=2

Here it is check it out.
Last edited by Tyler.Allain at Mar 23, 2011,
The NS-2 I've heard is the best - especially at a used price of $50 compared to every other pedal being more than triple that.
ISP. Fantastic pedal. I cannot fault it whatsoever. I never had the chance to use the NS-2 though. Some will say it sucks some of your tone blah blah blah. Personal preference really..
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Dude I would honestly go with the NS-2 the X pattern hook up option does a killer job silencing your amp without robbing tone. I had the ISP for a week when I lost my NS-2. When I found my NS-2 I got rid of it.

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
The NS-2 I've heard is the best - especially at a used price of $50 compared to every other pedal being more than triple that.

Quote by Hadeed
i would put the noise gate first in the line (definitely before the compressor)

What is with all this garbage??

There is a reason the NS2 is so cheap. It isn't great. This really depends on how much you are willing to shell out on a gate, but the ISP destroys everything else in pedal form.

If you are looking to control pedal noise, you want to put the gate after the pedals you are trying to quiet down. The only thing you would put it before are trail effects like delay and reverb, where the gate would cut off the tail of the effects.
Quote by denied
What is with all this garbage??

There is a reason the NS2 is so cheap. It isn't great. This really depends on how much you are willing to shell out on a gate, but the ISP destroys everything else in pedal form.

If you are looking to control pedal noise, you want to put the gate after the pedals you are trying to quiet down. The only thing you would put it before are trail effects like delay and reverb, where the gate would cut off the tail of the effects.

+1

(well it certainly destroys the ns2, which is the only other one i've tried/owned)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it all boils down to how much you want to spend.
for 50-75 bucks a used ns-2 is all u will really need to kill all noise with minimal tone loss using the x pattern. i own one it works great

if money is not an issue just get the G string decimator.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by iheartgun
it all boils down to how much you want to spend.
for 50-75 bucks a used ns-2 is all u will really need to kill all noise with minimal tone loss using the x pattern. i own one it works great

if money is not an issue just get the G string decimator.

Or just buy the normal ISP Decimator which doesn't cost that much more than the ns2
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
money isn't really an option, but i was thinking of spending 150 ish, which is the price for the MXR smartgate at Long and Mcquade and the ISP decimator (not G string) is 145.

thanks for all the advice, I'm still wondering if there is a big difference between the MXR and the ISP, because i found an MXR used for 100 and wondering if i should save the 50$ difference, or just pay for the ISP

again money isn't an issue, but I dont really feel like speding 250 for g string if I don't have too
Strat, Les Paul

Does your amp have an FX loop?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
the isp is just an overall better pedal. minimal tone loss/coloring if any and
there are lots of "shootout" vids between the isp and the mxr on youtube. check some out. between the 2 the isp wins hands down.

for those of us(me) who dont mind things on the cheap side the x pattern for the boss is just fine.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
yes the hot rod deluxe does have an FX loop

and I have checked out some videos, I personally don't hear to much of a difference on the two again I haven't had an opportunity to check out the pedals as they were out of stock

so I'm really just relying on opinions right now
Strat, Les Paul

Well IMO, for amps with FX loops, Any pedal except the Boss NS-2 and the ISP Deicmiator G String are pretty useless/just not worth the money.

Because of the X connection, the NS-2 is just simply a better value than almost any other noise gate out there, except for the G String, which is the best of the best. If you're not willing to shell out for the G String, then get the NS-2. I use one and am completely satisfied with it. Does it's job very well.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ok so, just to make sure I understand this, to properly work with the Boss NS 2, should only my dirt pedals be in the loop or all my effect pedals be in the loop of the NS 2

I guess I'm just confused on how to set up all my pedals (in my sig) with the boss ns 2 and fx loop.

any one can suggest to me how to set that up? i saw that diagram on one of the earlier posts, but I am still confused.

any help with that would be great ^.^
Strat, Les Paul

Dirt pedals should always be in front, never in the loop. Modulation/time based effects should be in the loop. There is no right or wrong way to set up your chain though. Hold on, I'll tell you how I'd do your rig.

EDIT:
Mex stratocaster --> boss compressor --> ibanez wh 10 --> boss ds 2 --> ehx fuzz --> mxr micro amp --> NS-2 --> fender hot rod deluxe --> mxr phase 90 --> tonfancier binyang chorus --> tonefancier flanger --> NS-2 --> fender hot rod deluxe

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 23, 2011,
so from MXR micro amp --> INPUT of the NS 2 --> output of ns 2--> fx loop in --> fx loop out--> phase, chorus, flanger --> return ns 2,--> send of NS --> input of amp?

Ah sorry still confused still thank you for helping !
Strat, Les Paul

i just got the amp, and my old spider amp didn't have the fx loop, so this all new to me
Strat, Les Paul

Almost, not quite. This should help.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i saw that image, and it still confuses me im just having a hard time understanding how to place my pedals in fx loop in/out in accordance with the ns 2 inputs/outputs and return and send

sorry
Strat, Les Paul

Quote by johnfr_1990
money isn't really an option, but i was thinking of spending 150 ish, which is the price for the MXR smartgate at Long and Mcquade and the ISP decimator (not G string) is 145.

thanks for all the advice, I'm still wondering if there is a big difference between the MXR and the ISP, because i found an MXR used for 100 and wondering if i should save the 50$ difference, or just pay for the ISP

again money isn't an issue, but I dont really feel like speding 250 for g string if I don't have too

Why are you comparing a new ISP to used MXR pricing??

Used decimators go for $90 all the time. It is, without question, the better noise gate. Its not a HUGE difference, but the other ones just don't have as tight a gate, a will effect your sustain.
only reason i was comparing a new to used, is because I can't find a used ISP in my area
Strat, Les Paul

Quote by johnfr_1990
i saw that image, and it still confuses me im just having a hard time understanding how to place my pedals in fx loop in/out in accordance with the ns 2 inputs/outputs and return and send

sorry

Mex stratocaster --> boss compressor --> ibanez wh 10 --> boss ds 2 --> ehx fuzz --> mxr micro amp --> NS-2 Input | NS-2 Send --> fender hot rod deluxe input | fender hot rod deluxe FX Loop Send --> mxr phase 90 --> tonfancier binyang chorus --> tonefancier flanger --> NS-2 Return | NS-2 Output --> fender hot rod deluxe FX Loop Return

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thank you very much, and thanks for being so patient.

Very much appreciated!
Strat, Les Paul

Quote by magic medicine

I can see why you think you should put it last, to silence all the pedals, but that is incorrect.
for example, when you're using your guitar and you want to essentially 'shut it up' you turn off the volume or switch it to the pickup which has the volume set to zero. when you do that you signal is essentially cut, nothing goes through which means there is nothing for the distortion pedal to distort, nothing for your delay pedal to delay, nothing for your flanger to flange UNTIL you have signal come back into the loop. that means when you finish playing a phrase it will keep quiet.

If you place the noise suppressor at the end of the chain you may be modifying the decay of effects, essentially cutting them when they become too weak (especially delays).

by cutting the signal from the start of the chain you are keeping the rest of the signal flow clean.

I also understand you may want it at the end of your chain to reduce any radio frequencies coming through your signal -> if that is an issue, you may want to look at shielding, balancing, or cable length issues first rather than assuming you can fix it with a $100 or whatever pedal
The NS-2 should be called the vampire of pedals, It will suck sooo much more of your tone than ether the MXR or ISP. I have owned my ISP for over a yr and my NS-2 sits in a box. The older NS-1 by boss is the bomb if you can find one that is for sale and/or operational(they just don't make 'em like they used to). My vote is for the ISP and that is out of years of playing.
Hope this helps.
I know lots of people say that the NS 2 sucks a lot of tone, so I was wondering if you put an EQ pedal after the ns 2, would that help with your tone?
Strat, Les Paul

Quote by johnfr_1990
I know lots of people say that the NS 2 sucks a lot of tone, so I was wondering if you put an EQ pedal after the ns 2, would that help with your tone?

Completely pointless. If you're talking about buying an EQ pedal on top of the ns2, you should just buy the ISP. Common sense brah. Although EQ pedals are always nice to have. Shapes your tone very well.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
i say the isp. i tried that out against the ns-2 and the boss paled in comparison to the isp. i didnt get the g string, honestly the isp killed all noise from my guitar, pedals, and amp, with it being at the end of the loop. i wanted to save for the g string and im glad i didnt, the regular one does it all.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify