I'm not looking for people to pick out models, or do what one should I buy, or anything like that. What I'm looking for is just some general tips as a how to narrow down to one or two models rather then around 5.

A couple of weeks back or so I posted a topic asking about ESP/LTD model numbers and got the advice I need and preceded to go to the store and start playing them. Sadly it went too well and I only ended up absolutely hating one model. That was just due to the fact that I prefer to sit when I play rather then stand, and V's are a pain to sit with.

The problem is that all of them played like a dream and felt pretty good overall. In general I sat down with each one for about 10 minutes or so and played with 2 or 3 from each body shape, and although I played a few models I wouldn't buy I did it just to test the model in general.

Are there any tips to whittle it down, or should I just pick whatever body style I like the most? Any tips to take ti to the next step of picking this out?
Well, base it off of feel, sound, looks and brand.
Whatever tops all the others in those catagories is your winner.
If they're all the same, then just go for whatever looks the coolest I guess. :S
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
You should choose the one that SOUNDS right to you, the Sound will be more important than the Look, you dont want a guitar the looks great but doesnt sound right, I suggest you should pick out the ones that sound the way you want them to and then if there's still more than one guitar left and they each sound perfect then just pick what one you think is the most comfortable, and if still you have more than one guitar to choose from, then just pick the coolest one.
you've already done the best thing you can do, play them. look at the features and determine if you will need them or not which will help a little to whittle it down. ultimately the one guitar that "speaks" to you is the one to buy. this may just be a gut feeling but you'll know.
If you like how they all play, pick the one you'd **** if it had a vagina in the place of the back plastic control cover.
The first thing to look at is the sound if it doesn't sound good you'll eventually hate it
Then how comfortable you feel playing it
And then looks never buy a guitar just on looks

And just play the guitars side by side till you have yourself a winner
play on a couple different amps
And don't have them turned way down just cuz your at a music store if your embarrassed just play scales
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Yes feel and sound should be the #1 things you look at. I suggest you bring in your own amp and play them on it for the sound test.

Another thought: if you like 5 different guitars equally maybe you just haven't found the one that is superior to those 5. Keep looking.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by Nimbus456
Well, base it off of feel, sound, looks and brand.
Whatever tops all the others in those catagories is your winner.
If they're all the same, then just go for whatever looks the coolest I guess. :S

You forgot smell.
Don't rule out looks. It your guitar looks like Quasimodo, you won't want to be strutting around with it on stage. However, that does come behind sound and feel sadly.
I pride myself on my humility.
Dude idk some of those were cool
But the mannequin guitar was just straight creepy
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Close your eyes. Walk into a guitar store. Open your eyes and count to ten. Whatever guitar your eyes are on after those ten seconds is the one to buy.

The idea behind it is that you naturally focus on guitars that you think look good and would like, so you should naturally be looking at a guitar that you find appealing and kind of glaze over the ones that you don't necessarily like.

Now, I'll admit there are flaws to my system, most notably how one walks into a guitar store with their eyes closed, so it's not perfect. But then again, I've never used it as a hard and fast rule; more of guidelines to find what kind of guitar I want to try out first. You'd have to be either pretty dumb or pretty skilled to walk out of a guitar store with an instrument that plays and sounds like a 1 by 2.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I know looks come last. I do look at sound and feel before anything else. I do some basic scale exercises and a few other basic song intros (Under the Northern Star) to test them out. Like I said they all felt about the same and sounded good (used some basic model numbers), its just picking a body shape (super strat, lp, sg, explorer) and figuring out which one works best. I was just hoping for a good elimination process, but playing then looking seems like a good idea a few more times then making a call based on what works best for my needs.

Please note I played a lower end for feel then plugged in a higher end for sound. Some weren't the model I'd buy as I want a hardtail and they had the same level model with a floyd.

Thanks for any help.