I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread, but if not it's not too far off topic. Anyways....

I've been playing for a couple or years and now that I'm not an absolute beginner I'd like to start doing a little recording to a.) get a better idea of what I sound like and how I can become a better player and b.) keep track of any riffs, licks, etc. i might want to put together into original material (probably not right away but eventually). I don't need any like pro level gear obviously, and I just want a basic setup that will allow me to get a decent guitar sound into an mp3 file and maybe do a little bit of basic editing. I'm fine with my current gear setup (amp, guitar, FX) but don't have any way to record. Where should I start as far as a basic, relatively inexpensive setup (i'd like to keep it under $300ish if possible) that will let me do what I want?
Yes. What amp/guitar do you have? How loud can you crank it?

If your looking to mic your cab, an SM57 is the way to go. You'll need an interface aswell, I like the M-audio fast track pro. I've also used the presonus audiobox, it's good aswell.

If you want to record without your amp, a line 6 POD works pretty well.

As for the recording program, download Reaper. It's free to use, and can run most any VST plug-in
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Mar 23, 2011,
If you are just recording guitar. Buy POD Farm. It comes with a small interface which will be needed for PC recording.

Also +1 on Reaper its free, thats what I used and it works great.

POD farm is cheap. Has plenty of great plugins.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
i think if you only buy pod farm, you only get pod farm, but you can buy a POD Studio GX (interface) that comes with Pod Farm 2.
I use the Alesis i02 for recording guitar. I was in the exact same situation as you- and still kind of am. In my opinion you are better getting a mic and recording your guitar through the mic to your computer. I just stick my amp in a closet, put the mic up to it (you'll have to move it around on the amp to find the right spot) and then put a blanket over it. This gets me a great sound everytime and then I change the guitar sound to what I want on the computer.

You'll also run into the problem of ALL interfaces having terrible sounds for guitars- which is why you may consider using one of these guys <http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/effects/multi-effects/desktop-rack>.

hope this helps!
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
I play an Epiphone G-400 Custom through an Egnater Tweaker. Volume isn't really an issue. I regularly get the master volume halfway up, occasionally I've gotten it almost 3/4 of the way up. I think I'd prefer to mic my cab. I feel like all the benefits of a cranked up tube amp would be totally lost with a digital multi effects unit. Plus I just really like the sound and feel of a cranked up tube amp.
Quote by jon.peebles
I play an Epiphone G-400 Custom through an Egnater Tweaker. Volume isn't really an issue. I regularly get the master volume halfway up, occasionally I've gotten it almost 3/4 of the way up. I think I'd prefer to mic my cab. I feel like all the benefits of a cranked up tube amp would be totally lost with a digital multi effects unit. Plus I just really like the sound and feel of a cranked up tube amp.

Then get an sm57 and an interface . Also read up on mic position and the like, has alot to do with your recorded tone.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Sm57 is about $100, the fast track pro is about 150. You'll need a mic stand and an Xlr cable, Plus something to listen to your tracks on, a good Pair of headphones works well.

Totall should be under $300 depending on what headphones you buy and the Xlr cable you get. Remember, the fast track's headphone jack is 1/4"
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I've got a decent pair of headphones and a 1/4" adapter for them, so the rest should keep me under budget without a problem. Quick question: will the mic need its own power supply of some kind or will plugging into the interface take care of that?

Thanks for the help!
Depending on the interface. If the interfaces mic input has "Phantom power", then no. But if the interface doesn't, then youll need to get a powersupply, thats plugged between the mic and interface. Most good interfaces have phantom power though.

EDIT: I googled, and if the interface your talking about is the Fast Track Pro, then yes, it does supply phantom power, and no external power supply for the microphone is needed.
Last edited by fc89konkari at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by jon.peebles
I've got a decent pair of headphones and a 1/4" adapter for them, so the rest should keep me under budget without a problem. Quick question: will the mic need its own power supply of some kind or will plugging into the interface take care of that?

Thanks for the help!

The fast track does provide phantom power, but the sm57 is dynamic and doesn't require phantom power.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I must say, the presonus apparently has better presume than the fast track, might try that one instead.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Better pre-amps*
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by fc89konkari
heard of editing?

Sorry, I'm on my phone, and at work. It's bars to grab that little button.

Just trying to help this guy out.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps: