Fret a harmonic on the same string, 5th, vs 17th. The 17th is an octave higher, as you'd expect.

Fret a harmonic on the same string, 12th, vs 24th. The 24th is an octave higher, as you'd expect.

Fret a harmonic on the same string, 7th, vs 19th. They are unison, same note.

What's the scientific reason for this? I'm curious. 4th and 16th seem to be unison too.
Because they are the same node. The 5th fret is as far away from the nut as the 19th is away from the bridge. From the 12th fret to the bridge, is a mirror image of the 12th fret to the nut. If there is a node on one side of the 12 fret, the same node will be on the exact opposite side. That's a horrible explanation, I know. Does it make sense?

EDIT: This picture should help.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Mar 23, 2011,
(Invalid img)

This was originally meant to mean harmonics are retarded, since weeaboos have no idea of the concept of "a joke", I have to clarify this meaning. Thank you, this is a presentation by the Lovecannon News Network.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Mar 23, 2011,
Ah, yes, there's the answer I was looking for. Thanks UG forum, ever the stop for unnecessary arrogance and preachy twelve year olds. Go **** yourselves.
Quote by biga29
Because they are the same node. The 5th fret is as far away from the nut as the 19th is away from the bridge. From the 12th fret to the bridge, is a mirror image of the 12th fret to the nut. If there is a node on one side of the 12 fret, the same node will be on the exact opposite side. That's a horrible explanation, I know. Does it make sense?

EDIT: This picture should help.

This may be the single coolest picture I've seen on this forum with the single most informative post. All wrapped up in one. It's like a bacon-wrapped scallop of a post.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by LessThanLuke
Ah, yes, there's the answer I was looking for. Thanks UG forum, ever the stop for unnecessary arrogance and preachy twelve year olds. Go **** yourselves.

No problem, any time ^_^.

Quote by Darkflame
^totally agree

and lovecannon is officially an ass =)

Hmm, Im half-tempted to sig this. But thanks, I shall from now on be officially referred to as "The Ass" or "UG's Delightful Asshole". Sound cool?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by LessThanLuke

Dude don't get mad just ignore those posts. People will flame no matter what. When I was younger I deleted my old UG account because of it. And I think thats a cool question and the graphic is awesome.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Dude don't get mad just ignore those posts. People will flame no matter what. When I was younger I deleted my old UG account because of it. And I think thats a cool question and the graphic is awesome.

+1

I have no idea why you took me so seriously. I wasnt even calling you a retard, I was talking about harmonics being retarded. Don't get so butthurt over a joke that wasnt even aimed at you... -_-'
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Tyler.Allain

I would remove that if I were you...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Wow... this thread is equally informative and unnecessarily offensive. It's the John Mayer of UG threads.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by 57Goldtop
Wow... this thread is equally informative and unnecessarily offensive. It's the John Mayer of UG threads.

Yes I concur, I hereby move for the mods to DESTROY this thread with utmost prejudice. Those in favor please type I.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro