practice all the songs you like on the guitar rather then singing to the record. Still this leaves you imaging the original vocals for the song. But it helps me from singing the songs out of my range.

write your own songs and just melodies. If theres a song you like with no vocals thats great that leaves you with your own imagination.

This is a great question. Its something that will take time, Theres just so many different tones and ways you can sound. The most important thing is that your voice always feels loose and comfortable. It may not be so consistent but being relaxed is most important. Singing should feel effortless.
*Not an expert* I find I often sound most 'like myself' when I sing a song originally played by a female. It's basically impossible or would feel very unnatural to make myself sound like that, so I default to my own voice.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
I need to stick to songs ranged around C#minor, it's where I can get the most volume without the most effort out of my lungs, but in my case, i actually sound deeper when I sing than when I talk, for which I don't know the reason.

But i guess you simply have to enjoy singing, and eventually you'll find the easiest yet best way to sing with your voice, and you got what you're looking for.
Quote by catempire
*Not an expert* I find I often sound most 'like myself' when I sing a song originally played by a female. It's basically impossible or would feel very unnatural to make myself sound like that, so I default to my own voice.

This is actually a really good idea, I myself might try this.
For me, I put myself into the lyrics; I make a personal connection to whatever the lyrics seem to relate about my own life, and from there I can sing with my own emotion. Put yourself into the singer's shoes, and take it sideways from there; having emotion is the single-biggest difference between a karaoke cover and a distinct voice.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser