I can't seem to get it down. Whenever I sing, it gets my guitar all off-beat.

Any tips on how I can learn to play and sing at the same time?
Simple rythms, simple beats. It's not that hard when you practice. Try playing simple chords such as G, Gm, and D in progression and just make up words as you go to match. That's how i've done it for the longest time.
Quote by davidswigert
Simple rythms, simple beats. It's not that hard when you practice. Try playing simple chords such as G, Gm, and D in progression and just make up words as you go to match. That's how i've done it for the longest time.

+1

learn a simple song that you can play blindfolded and upside-down, and then hum the vocal tune whilst playing, then move on to doing the whole thing
I used to have troubles to sing and play guitar at the same time aswell. My guitar teacher gave me these steps:

1. First learn the song properly so you can memorize it without too much trouble.
2. Play the song on guitar while watching tv.
3. Play the song while reading an article or a book.
4. Start to hum along with your playing.
5. Sing the song and play the chords once every beat.
6. Gradually try to keep an easy strumming pattern until you're comfortable with it while singing.

Hope this helps you.
Vision is the art of seeing things invisible to others.
You should be able to play the song without thinking. hear the music and feel the rhythm it takes practice.

but the biggest part of it is having the song memorized so that your free to sing.

Break it down into parts strum the chords only once and hum or sing to it. youll be singing and play in no time
Learn the guitar to where you can play it while carrying on a converstaion... if you can't do it now..idk how long you've been playing, but it will come, just try it a lo and break down the song into small parts, make sure you are playing the song right though because i's more important. even like sing along with the melody and slowly get more into it and eventullly you'll get it.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
I find that once i was at that stage where i could play the average stuff and sing. I would just have to slow it down, and know where the vocal placements where within the riffs and such, and then i can pretty much do it without thinking.
Quote by Eddeh
I used to have troubles to sing and play guitar at the same time aswell. My guitar teacher gave me these steps:

1. First learn the song properly so you can memorize it without too much trouble.
6. Gradually try to keep an easy strumming pattern until you're comfortable with it while singing.

Hope this helps you.

I'd like to second this. It really is all practice. Just start screwing around while playing guitar, do more and more things. A lot of people can't even walk while playing guitar let alone keep up a conversation while walking.

This is something you do in theater that I think can transfer over to music. It's very simple, but memorize the words/lyrics by heart. To the point where it's natural and you don't have to think about what the next line is. In theater this allows you to focus on the emotion and in music it'll help you focus on playing guitar. Memorize both parts, guitar and singing perfectly, and soon enough it'll just be natural with practice and you can even improvise guitar and singing at the same time.

Practice, practice, practice.
Well, I remember when I first started playing. I wanted to cover 'The Past Recedes' by frusciante... and I got to the point where I could play the song easily. But, when I started to sing both my guitar playing and singing suffered. I could play the song, I could sing the song, but not at the same time. For me, I just kept practicing... and now I can play most of the songs I know and have a casual conversation going on while doing so. And sing while doing stuff with my hands.

Although the end result should be having everything in sync and going at the same time, you should also stress being able to do things independant of each other as well.

So my advice, just keep doing it.
Does anyone have the problem where after they learn how to sing the song while playing guitar, it becomes harder to sing the song without physically playing guitar? I've had this problem while recording using little more complex vocal melodies
unless your alexi laiho... but hes not really singing... but still. i once saw paul gilbert sing a song while doing a tapping scale... on his live version of to be with you... insane
Quote by Eddeh

Hope this helps you.

There is just one thing wrong with this method of learning to play guitar and sing at the same time. Personally, as a guitar teacher, I would never ever suggest watching TV while you practice guitar. It just can't be good practice with half or more of your attention on the TV. The idea of this skill is to pay less attention to the strumming of the chords while you play so that you can focus on singing (which is the hard part) but practice time should be used in the most efficient manner, never wasted playing chords in front of the TV- then the show comes on and you end up watching that, and pretty soon you're not even practicing any more. That is why I don't suggest that method of developing your technique in this area. I have developed a pretty good way to acquire this skill in a very effective way which I use with my students. continue to cycle through these steps over and over again until you feel that you do not need them anymore:

1. read the lyrics of the song that you are strumming and try to read them or think of them in the rhythm of the song, focusing on strictly adhering to your strumming pattern
2. Try talking to someone while you play the chords, making sure that your rhythm is correct. You should try to seperate the action of strumming from the thoughts in your head and the words coming out of your mouth as you develop your autonomy.
3. try reading the lyrics aloud now with the rhythm of the song, paying only enough attention to the strumming to make sure that you are playing it correctly.
4. Try to sing the song.

Do these things enough and you will be able to develop this skill easily. From there it's just learning many different songs, strumming patterns, rhythms, learning how to play tight rhythm guitar, and applying those skills to your arsenal.
"Things seem pretty crummy, but if they could carry us away with them, we'd die of poetry. In a way, that wouldn't be bad." -Louis-Ferdinand Celine
I guess in doing that, you would be able to really use your talents or skills. To play with guitar while singing is a very difficult skill to do. It would have a good presence of mind that you would be doing, and at the same, the talent is there. I just hope that doing such can give you idea on what those band and singers does. It is pure heart and a lot of good talents to do.
Last edited by riamac at May 27, 2011,
It's just practice, dude. At first all I could do while singing was 1-2-3-4 rhythms. Eventually you learn to do it while strumming in more irregular intervals.
A good training would have been a key here. I just hoped that things would work out well with this one. Practice and training is the key.
Quote by Marcus_Wiesner
There is just one thing wrong with this method of learning to play guitar and sing at the same time. Personally, as a guitar teacher, I would never ever suggest watching TV while you practice guitar. It just can't be good practice with half or more of your attention on the TV. The idea of this skill is to pay less attention to the strumming of the chords while you play so that you can focus on singing (which is the hard part) but practice time should be used in the most efficient manner, never wasted playing chords in front of the TV- then the show comes on and you end up watching that, and pretty soon you're not even practicing any more.

Pfagh!

Sure, it's not the 'most' efficient, but it's more efficient than not practicing at all.

TV time is a great time to practice, that's what G_D made commercials for...
I was talkin to the guitarist from Assasinate the Following, who is able to do sweep tapping while singing. His advice it to practice the guitar part until it is subconcious. Then put vocals over top.
ledzep6995
Good Sir, practise is the key.
Learn a song until you can play it behind your head/with your eyes closes/while having a conversation.
Learn the lyrics to the song until you are singing them subconsciously.
Listen to the song a hundred million times so you know all the strumming patterns, beats and rhythms.
Then you should be able to do it after all these are ticked boxes.