For the first time ever, I'm buying new strings for my guitar, and I need help choosing the gauge.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul, no idea what string I have on it now...it's the ones that came with the guitar.

Most of the songs I play are in Standard and Drop D, but I do tune my guitar quite a few times to Drop C.

So I was wondering, what string will allow me to have my guitar in Standard/Drop D, and still get at least a decent sound when tuning down to Drop C?

Thanks ahead.
I would go with either

Medium (11-48/49)
Regular light (10-46)

should do the job good. i keep my whole guitar down to C with mediums. sounds decent.

as for brand, the only one i didnt like was Ernie Balls but thats just preference.
The gauge on your guitar now are probably 9 or 10's, use that as a reference and go from there. If they're not good enough for drop c, go heavier, if they're fine but you can't bend the top three strings enough when soloing, get hybrids.

Or, buy your strings online in a variety of gauges and just try out a bunch of different ones till you find the right fit Good luck!
Thank you all for the replies.
I was actually thinking about getting a 0.10 - 0.46...I might go with that. Currently with my strings now, on Drop C it's kinda buzzy. Not the best sound, but not terrible. So I guess I need thicker...
I second the vote for skinny top heavy bottoms!! They rock. (PS they are Ernie Ball brand strings that combine heavier bottom strings with lighter top strings as the name implies).
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
I second the vote for skinny top heavy bottoms!! They rock. (PS they are Ernie Ball brand strings that combine heavier bottom strings with lighter top strings as the name implies).

I'm looking into that. Thanks!
What's usually the price for those things?
You're asking to tune down a whole step and back, 2 whole steps for the E string. I couldn't recommend you anything for that. A half step and back would be fine but your will not get a decent sound and tension going a whole step or more.

If you make your mind up on which tuning to go with (10-48s) for standard with a .50 or .52 for the low D if you're going for drop D. For Drop C go with 11-54/56s gauge.

Those guys who tune down low with thin strings up there, only think they have a good sound. You will have poor intonation and probably have to fret really lightly and can't tremolo pick because of the weak tension of the strings. Again, you cannot tune a whole step or more with the same gauge strings and expect it to go well.
Quote by Kortez3000
You're asking to tune down a whole step and back, 2 whole steps for the E string. I couldn't recommend you anything for that. A half step and back would be fine but your will not get a decent sound and tension going a whole step or more.

If you make your mind up on which tuning to go with (10-48s) for standard with a .50 or .52 for the low D if you're going for drop D. For Drop C go with 11-54/56s gauge.

Those guys who tune down low with thin strings up there, only think they have a good sound. You will have poor intonation and probably have to fret really lightly and can't tremolo pick because of the weak tension of the strings. Again, you cannot tune a whole step or more with the same gauge strings and expect it to go well.

Thanks for the reply.
About Drop C...It's not a tuning I use a lot, so I'm not really looking to get a great sound on it, just decent. Mainly to play easy riff etc...I'm really more into Standard/DropD...
Skinny tops heavy bottoms they usually cost like $4-6 a set here.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
Skinny tops heavy bottoms they usually cost like $4-6 a set here.

I see. Then I hope I will find these over here (Portugal), if not, I'll sttick to 0.10 - 0.46
Uh, for the guy that says i "think" i have a good sound, I KNOW i have a GREAT sound, I play just fine in tunings from E standard to Db standard. Idk why it wouldnt sound good, it sounds great.

Just try it for real, you might like it, I know I love it. The thin strings are good for solos and leads and the thick strings are good for chunky rhythms.
Well If your more into dropped d and standard just do 10's or 11's (if your feeling frisky lol)
10-46
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
9's personally feel a bit too light for me, i used them when i was starting to play guitar because they're easier to play with
but imo, 10's feel better and play better!
d'addario's all the way!
Quote by CFH-For-Life
Uh, for the guy that says i "think" i have a good sound, I KNOW i have a GREAT sound, I play just fine in tunings from E standard to Db standard. Idk why it wouldnt sound good, it sounds great.

Just try it for real, you might like it, I know I love it. The thin strings are good for solos and leads and the thick strings are good for chunky rhythms.

Thank you all for the replies. I've decided to get the ERNIE BALL Skinny Top / Heavy Bottom. Going to buy them today.

Thanks again. Really appreciate your help.