So I've been woking on my rig lately, and I've come to the conclusion, I don't like my guitar, it plays nicely, but I'm not to impressed with the sound, and It keeps un setting it's self up. No joke it raises it's action, un intonates, and the neck keeps moving. The only thing i really like about it is the black outs. It's an Ibanez RGA32.

My back up guitar is good, but I'd like to keep it as my drop d guitar (I play drop c). Though it needs a new bridge pup. I'm thinking a tone zone or dsonic.

But I would like to replace the Ibanez. So far I'm looking at the LTD EC1000 t/ctm, LTD V-401FM, and the Epiphone LP GX. Pick ups wise, I'm considering trying passive (Either BKP or Dimarzio), If i do actives I'm gonna stick with blackouts. I'd like the Mark Tremonti PRS but I can't afford it, and the SE model has the wide fat neck . Im just looking for a big thick mahogany body, with a thin neck, and thats got alot of weight to that sounds chunky.

I have A Hughes and Kettner Trilogy going into a mesa cab.

I play mostly metal and metalcore, Alot of UnderOath, Every Time I Die, and Killswitch Engage. I really Like Joel Stroetzel's sound and Mark Tremonti's sound. Basically, A huge sound with a huge low end and really chunky.

Pick ups, In the bridge I like hot pick ups, big low end, nice harmonics, with as little loss of tone as posable. The Neck I use for cleans, i like warm, clear cleans. I use both Pups for lead stuff.

I'm looking for Guitar and Pick up ideas. Sorry that was lot. But help would be nice. Thanks

Edit:
Budget: $900 including pick ups

New only

Nearest City Is Reno NV (Which doesn't have much)
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Mar 23, 2011,
For a Les Paul type, you really can't go wrong with an EC-1000. They're great. I've owned the EC-400 AT, too. It's a bit cheaper and nearly as nice.
I'd go with the ESP EC 1000. They're fast palying metal guitars, like Ibanez, without all of the bullshit of a trem system. The only problem that you might find is that the body is not thick enough for you (EC's tend to be pretty thin as far as les paul copies go) but other than that it sounds exactly what you're looking for. They even come with active EMG's. Of course you could always switch those out if you don't like them
EMG's equal failz. haha. Im really thinking about switching over to Passive, but I think Ill lose my heaviness and I can't do that.

But yea, I need a thick body. But I've heard the Ec1000t's have the thicker body. any know if that is true?
GEAR
Are you planning on selling the Ibanez? if not, you can keep the pickups and put them int he new guita (if you dont happen to like the ones it comes with)

Quote by static_music34
your guitar doesn't exist, apparently

good one...
:Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1
Fender Stratacoustic
Bugera Vintage 5
Im thinking Im gonna sell the Ibby, I have the old pickups, and I can put them in first, but I think I'd get more cash with Blackouts in it
GEAR
Quote by Jaredmkl
EMG's equal failz. haha. Im really thinking about switching over to Passive, but I think Ill lose my heaviness and I can't do that.

Active pickups =/= heavy, necessarily. I know plenty of people who get ridiculously heavy tones out of passive pickups. A lot of people on here seem to recommend Bare Knuckle Nailbombs for LP style guitars, so maybe check those out.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Yeah, I've been interested in passives, I just can't find passives, that are hot with a big low end that sound just stupidly huge. Ill look BKP's site
GEAR
The EC-1000T are normal thickness - yep. The EMGs they come equipped with are far from fail though. I'd definitely give them a shot before tossing them aside. If you want passive, a couple models come with passive pickups. Also - the 400 series is nearly as nice, and IMO gives you more options to stay away from all the abalone.
I have a Ibanez ART300 and threw EMGs 81/85's in it and it has a "thicker" body then your obvious tradition like Ibby RG or somthing but not nearly as thick as a ESP or regular Les Paul style body. Ive played the new Ibby les paul style guitars the ARZ models, and they play awsome. I would consider picking one up but I'm looking at another schecter.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=arz
Link to the new models ^
Okie, cool, Ill look into getting the EC1000t/ctm. And The EMG thing, I used to use Emgs I tried 81/85, 81/60, 89/60. They're just not my thing, I like Blackouts more. But thanks :]
GEAR
Have you checked out or are you interested in any of the Ibanez RGT guitars? You could easily even afford a used Ibanez Prestige too.

I'm just concerned that if you like the feel of your Ibanez, you won't like the feel if you move to something else. The guitars you mentioned are extremely different from what you have.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There are a lot of suggestions that could be given guitar-wise, but pickup-wise...
If BKPs end up being too expensive there's always the SD Jazz (neck)/ SD Custom (Bridge)

OR the Jazz/ Duncan Distortion.

I've heard many clips of Drop C stuff that my friend used to do with a Duncan Custom on one of his Jacksons through a Mesa Dual Rec and they sounded fukken sweet.
I'm trying to get away for Ibanez, and I hate Duncans haha, I used to own an rr3, and LTD DV8-r, and I hated the pick ups in both. Passive I stick to Dimarzio and BPK. Duncans (minus blackouts) sound life less to me.

Sorry hahaha I'm REALLY picky
GEAR