Page 1 of 2
I don't know if this is the right thread, but i'll give it a shot

You know, there's this rumour that when high, you can play with no problem, come up with stuff etc, but whenever i'm high, i suck at playing, i give it up after like 5 minutes

just curious what about you?
I just came home with still a moderate buzz on and it was a bit better. At least it seemed so to me
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Quote by ShAd0w666
I don't know if this is the right thread, but i'll give it a shot

You know, there's this rumour that when high, you can play with no problem, come up with stuff etc, but whenever i'm high, i suck at playing, i give it up after like 5 minutes

just curious what about you?

It's because the people that came up with that notion were so high, they thought what they were playing was actually good. Which it probably wasn't
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
It probably has a lot to do with how you're feeling overall, like i'm almost sleepy everyday since i lack sleep, so then i get high and i just wanna chill and relax, should try it sometimes when i'm fully rested
The key is to not do TOO much to the point where you just wanna sleep or anything. Not saying you are, but that was the problem for me. A moderate high usually helps with creativity and coming up with awesome riffs :P
Could never remember a thing I did when playing like that. Playing when drunk, however, is like playing on autopilot.
haha, whenever i played drunk shows i ****ed up big time, but now i found a nice balance so i don't **** up and am still drunkish
If you're trying to come up with a brand new idea for a song, try jamming high and recording yourself. That way you might have a new creative idea in there but you wont have the problem of forgetting about it. Then later, when you're straight, go back and listen to the recording and take a few of those ideas and try to memorize them without loosing the vide. It's kinda a process of using the influence for certain parts of the song building process. If you're a musician who's used to playing high, and I've known lots of great ones, then obviously you don't need any advice here!
When rehearsing or on shows I don't drink.
I don't want the stuff I practiced so long to be jeopardized be being on drugs.
Plus, when I **** up, the other people in my band won't be pleased.

But for coming up with riffs, it sometimes helps me to have a beer or two or three...
I start doing stuff I normally wouldn't. Although a bit tippsy, I try to get myself to record it, so the next day I can work further on it.

cheers
Skill and creativity do not rely on external sources. If you need something to augment your perception in order to write a good song, you're not a musician.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Skill and creativity do not rely on external sources. If you need something to augment your perception in order to write a good song, you're not a musician.

And if you need to have that stick so far up your ass, you aren't a man.

But really, a little weed helps, although I've found it more useful on bass than on guitar. Generally alcohol with guitar, weed with bass work better for me, I get pumped up for the guitar playing and I chill out on the bass.
Quote by strat0blaster

this
drugs shouldnt make you a good player, if anything they warp your mind and make you a bad player.
It works very well for me. The key is moderation, there have been times when I get so high I'll think to myself "man that sounded awesome", and I'll try to play it again but have already completely forgotten how I played it. But if you're at the right level, everything is just easier and better
Quote by Prisoner5

But really, a little weed helps, although I've found it more useful on bass than on guitar. Generally alcohol with guitar, weed with bass work better for me, I get pumped up for the guitar playing and I chill out on the bass.

Sounds like I've offended you because you're a case in point example of this.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Well maybe it's the kind of buds you smoke, but I can make up riffs at random when i'm stoned with no problem, but what kind of music do you play? I'm mostly play metal, but other things too.
It doesn't add anything, it takes away. It takes away your critical opinions of your own playing and allows you to actually play instead of think. My theory is that you are just a conduit for the music and your ego gets in the way of letting it though. People use various methods to remove that block in themselves. If you overdo it on the drugs you may remove that block but you also mess up your physical ability to actually play anything. Theres a balance there somewhere.

I don't do drugs but I understand them and it doesn't bother me if other people do. To each their own ya know?
I listened to my friend play guitar while I was high once. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever haha.

I think it's mostly about the mindset you have and how you react to the high. Some people like to get up and go on adventures for hours, but some people want to lay down and sleep.
Quote by Prisoner5

im sorry that is a stupid thing to say mate, if you need drugs to function in your life or to be creative you are a sad sad man
Quote by Tedis1111
im sorry that is a stupid thing to say mate, if you need drugs to function in your life or to be creative you are a sad sad man

Functioning in life and coming up with ideas for songs while high are completely different things.

Another point is that strat0blaster said skill and creativity do not come from external sources, thereby enulling his entire argument against his previous point.
Drinking and playing, while a ton of fun, is not for the best. I've only jammed drunk once (~6 beers) and the drummer and I thought we sounded great. The next morning the rest of our friends told us we were all over the place and no one else minded because they were hammered too.
it's a myth that drugs help you play better or have better musical ideas.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
it wont make you play better, but its great for inspiration, for me at least.
(I'm refering to just pot, so not REALLY a "drug", but then again, the beatles had a lot of inspiration for their songs taking LSD, so you never know.)
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A good buzz helps with inspiration because it makes me think differently than normal. Yeah I dont need weed or any other drug to help come up with stuff, but it definitely sparks my creativity. The thing is, write it when your high, listen to it sober, decide if its good or not, the listen to it high again for the full effect. But hey, to each their own opinion.
Let me remind everyone that this is based on opinion, not fact, so no one is "right" or "wrong"
Quote by Stryker636
Let me remind everyone that this is based on opinion, not fact, so no one is "right" or "wrong"

That sounds like a bunch of loser speak for "I'm wrong."

Before you get pissed, that was a joke.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Depends which drug. I play amazingly while high on marijuana for example, and on 1-2 hits of acid. But any more acid than that and playing any string open is enough to make me drift back into my mind and before I realize it, I was sitting there listening to an E minor chord for 45 seconds.

I'll sum it up for you. Yes = I play good. No = I play bad.

Marijuana= Yes unless I'm blazed.
Shrooms= Nope.
Ecstasy, YES. DEAR GOD YES.
Acid= Yes unless I'm on more than 2 hits of good stuff.
Mescalin = gotta try this.
Drunk = Alcohol sucks. I never drink.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Mar 23, 2011,
Drugs r bad mm'kay?

And in all honesty, sometimes I think it could, Pink Floyd, Sleep, etc. Though they have also said they don't play live when they smoke, so it's probably just when brainstorming and recording maybe.
To all the people saying "if you need weed to create riffs and what not you're sad"
where the **** did i say that i need weed to come up with riffs? It was just a question, sometimes when i'm high i just wanna play, but as i said it already, i give it up after 5-10 minutes

it was just a question, i wanted to see how many people play good/bad on drugs
Quote by strat0blaster

*Looks at nearly EVERY famous band from the 60's on.*

Yah, you're probably right.
I honestly play better when slightly high, I think it's because I don't over-think it and just play.
I like playingg with a bit of an alchohol buzz, it loosens me up and i dont stress over every mistakee
I play amazingly when high. Everything flows, every idea leads to another almost instantaneously, all the music theory that I consciously apply in bits is all of a sudden unrestricted, to the point I can play almost exactly what I'm thinking on spot. And just to add to it, I'm enjoying all music more.

And then there's the hallucinogens, the only one I've taken being LSA, which turns your entire song into a story, making it incredibly emotionally deep. You truly feel music like none other time. Music seeps from your very inner soul, sometimes crushing you, sometimes bringing you intense pleasure.

So, yeah, while high, I can play pretty well.
If I'm doing improv while high, I generally have good ideas, but poor execution. If I'm doing something high and I know what I'm gonna do, I do it really well. I've sung notes while high that I didn't even know I could hit, and still can't hit when sober.
When I'm drunk, my fingers are too numb and I can't feel the frets and strings, so I sound really sloppy.
When I'm high on pot I end up slowly bending or just slowly vibrato-ing one single note for half an hour and just drift off into some meditative state.
I can WRITE better when I'm high, I just get all the melodies and whatnot in my head and realize that I don't have a song stuck in my head, that's new stuff my stoned brain is crapping out on it's own. As for being able to play it the way I hear it in my noggin...
Quote by supersac
ive won an argument with a girl but then i still lost
Quote by rgrockr
I guess that's why my ass was sore when I woke up this morning.

It is now my goal to get skylerjames13 to BURN OUT
Every thread I touch closes
I ENJOY SKAAAAAAA
Quote by strat0blaster
Remember that time that pretty much every-single famous rock band from the 50s and beyond were drug users? Heavy drug users in most cases?

I'm not saying they were good BECAUSE they used drugs, or that they NEEDED to use drugs in order to make good music, but anyone with half a brain can see the creative doors that drugs open.

Limiting yourself by listening to the "drugs are bad" guys and not expanding your mind is a shame. There are so many unexplored chambers of the mind that can only be explored by exposing yourself to different substances.

Just because someone chooses to explore that doesn't mean that they "aren't a musician"...it means that they're smart enough to take advantage of a GREAT creative tool.

I guess I can chalk your retarded statement up to ignorance, but please don't go around arguing about things that you don't understand. Makes you look dumb.

Quote by Tedis1111
this
drugs shouldnt make you a good player, if anything they warp your mind and make you a bad player.

Same goes for you. Don't talk about things you don't understand.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Mar 23, 2011,
Sorry but come on guys.

Drugs can sometimes help get the creative juices flowing and i think you'll find a few immaculate guitarists who have used drugs while writing mind you they're not always using the right one's.
Equipment -

PRS Custom 24
Jackson Pro Series RR3
Fender FM212 DSP 100 Watt
Korg AX 3000G
youre not smoking good enough weed
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman