Hi, these 2 questions are kinda related to each other. the first one:

how do you 'lock' the whammy bar? by lock i mean this: at this vid, his guitar has a floyd, and that bar is facing up (towards the headstock) when it is lying down on his bed. then, when he picks it up, the bar stays in that position. then, when he turns the bar 90 degrees towards the ground, its still not 'swinging' by itself (its not moving), but my floyd: it always looks at the ground (you know, because of gravity and shit...). anyway, how do you make the bar that way? steve vai uses it alot too (clearly see it at 0:59), and i just cant seem to make my bar stay still.

sorry if it is not clear, english is not my 'first' language so...

2: 'strumming' with your floyd: the reason i want to be able to hold the bar still is because of this: 'link ' at 1:35 and further, steve is hitting the bar with every note he plays. how do you do that? do you hammer on/pull of every note and simultaniously hit the bar, or do you do something else? anyway, when i hit my bar, all strings start to ring, do you just mute all the string with your fretting hand?

again, sorry if things arent clear, just ask and i'll answer...

thanks in advance
1) Open Google Translator
2) Set it from English to Vietnamese
3) Type "Will Justin Bieber ever hit puberty"
4) Translate
5) Copy the Vietnamese text
6) Translate back from Vietnamese to English
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by bartnijman
how do you 'lock' the whammy bar? by lock i mean this: at this vid, his guitar has a floyd, and that bar is facing up (towards the headstock) when it is lying down on his bed. then, when he picks it up, the bar stays in that position. then, when he turns the bar 90 degrees towards the ground, its still not 'swinging' by itself (its not moving), but my floyd: it always looks at the ground (you know, because of gravity and shit...). anyway, how do you make the bar that way? steve vai uses it alot too (clearly see it at 0:59), and i just cant seem to make my bar stay still.

IIRC, you need to tighten the cap nut with a wrench.

Quote by bartnijman
2: 'strumming' with your floyd: the reason i want to be able to hold the bar still is because of this: 'link ' at 1:35 and further, steve is hitting the bar with every note he plays. how do you do that? do you hammer on/pull of every note and simultaniously hit the bar, or do you do something else? anyway, when i hit my bar, all strings start to ring, do you just mute all the string with your fretting hand?

He hits the Floyd for every note he would pick, with the same timing. I'd use a string dampener and dampen whichever strings you can with the fretting hand
so, in order to let the bar stay still, i have to tighten the nut?

*notsureifserious.jpg*
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by bartnijman

*notsureifserious.jpg*

There should be something in the bridge that holds the bar in place. You can sort of tighten and loosen it by hand.

Tightening that should keep your bar in place until you decide to move it.

A bit of plumbers' tape works wonders too.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
well, first: thanks, second: tape wouldnt allow me to move the bar at all, but i want to let the bar stay still in various positions.

i'll check my FR out, see what i can do.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Exactly what kind of FR do you have? There are many different kinds, and not all are the same. Some you can lossen and tighten as much as you want, some are just left free, and you can't tighten them.

If you have the latter type, tape will work. Put it around the bar before you put it in your trem, and it should be tight enough for you to manipulate it however you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Pull out the bar, put a spring in the hole and then put the bar back. Depending on the strength of the spring it will put pressure on the bar from underneath and cause friction. You can still move the bar to whatever position you want. Steve Vai has Ibanez Edge tremolos. The bars from Edge bridges just press in and have replaceable plastic bushings, there is nothing to screw or tighten. If its too loose its time to replace the bushings.
Last edited by samhell at Mar 24, 2011,
ok, now i understand the tape thing. and the springs make perfect sense too.

at the moment i have a floating trem on a jackson kelly performer, its obviously not original. but i'm getting Ibanez S5470F in a while, wich has a 'ZR2 bridge w/ZPS3'.
4) Translate
7) ???
8) Profit!

ಠ~ಠ ಠoಠ ಠxಠ ಠ.ಠ ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ
Quote by bartnijman
ok, now i understand the tape thing. and the springs make perfect sense too.

at the moment i have a floating trem on a jackson kelly performer, its obviously not original. but i'm getting Ibanez S5470F in a while, wich has a 'ZR2 bridge w/ZPS3'.

That looks like the screw on type of arm. You would have to use a spring or some teflon tape or both to get to to feel how you want, as far as its rotation in relation to the strings.
Quote by bartnijman

*notsureifserious.jpg*

Not the nut at the end of the neck, the cap nut for the arm of your tremolo....