Page 1 of 2
What has this world come to?

http://www.rondomusic.com/9.String.Guitars.html

Dayum nature, you scary!

But seriously. 9 strings on a guitar, thats crazy. I know some people have 11 string basses, but still... I think 9 strings is just too many. 8 strings are about as far as I could imagine playing on a guitar.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
9 Stings are nothing like 7 or 8 string guitars. 9 strings are like half 6 sting half twelve string. The first 3 strings are normal and the last 3 have 2 for each string like a 12 string, thus the guitar has 9 string. Mastodon used them in Crack the Skye and other songs on that album.
GEAR
PRS:SE Singlecut w/ Crunchlab/Airnorton
ESP:Eclipse Standard
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Quote by Jaredmkl
9 Stings are nothing like 7 or 8 string guitars. 9 strings are like half 6 sting half twelve string. The first 3 strings are normal and the last 3 have 2 for each string like a 12 string, thus the guitar has 9 string. Mastodon used them in Crack the Skye and other songs on that album.

Did you even look at the link...?

And my opinion is, like everything, they have their uses. I've been gas'n for an Agile 8 String for a while now.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
... OH DEAR GOD! I don't even think there are amps that con handle that low e
GEAR
Ridiculous. How low can ya go?

Everyone is going to have to become a virtuoso and memorize all of hundreds of scale shapes now to play the guitars of 2030 with their 14 string+ variants.
Quote by Jaredmkl

Then how do we bass players do it...?

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by Jaredmkl

Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Ridiculous. How low can ya go?

Everyone is going to have to become a virtuoso and memorize all of hundreds of scale shapes now to play the guitars of 2030 with their 14 string+ variants.

Alternatively you can learn the intervals of a scale and never have to worry about shapes
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by biga29
Then how do we bass players do it...?

Well I mean, If run that through a guitar amp be mud. But Like The 6 string part will just sound terrible in a bass amp.
GEAR
Yeah that 9th string would probably just be too much. But since I use bass amps as my guitar amps - my amps would handle it just fine I even have a dedicated amp just for the bass frequencies of my guitar ^_^. Ive pretty much eliminated the need for a bassist, with just a 6 string lol, and it sounds better than any tube amp Ive played ^_^.

Quote by Jaredmkl
Well I mean, If run that through a guitar amp be mud. But Like The 6 string part will just sound terrible in a bass amp.

No.. you could just use a bass cab with a guitar amp.. or just split the frequencies like I did.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Mar 23, 2011,
I'd like a 9 string to be more like a regular 8-string but with a high A. That would imo be a bit better than just another one below usual.
Quote by Lovecannon
Alternatively you can learn the intervals of a scale and never have to worry about shapes

Too much effort learning intervals - I'll go with shapes and shape memorization, not trying to be the next shred god here
Quote by Lovecannon
Yeah that 9th string would probably just be too much. But since I use bass amps as my guitar amps - my amps would handle it just fine I even have a dedicated amp just for the bass frequencies of my guitar ^_^. Ive pretty much eliminated the need for a bassist, with just a 6 string lol.

+1
Do you have clips?
GEAR
Quote by Lovecannon

+1

Quote by Jaredmkl

Not necessarily.

Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Too much effort learning intervals - I'll go with shapes and shape memorization, not trying to be the next shred god here

Shapes are just intervals without the numbers. You're both talking about the same thing.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by OceansBetweenUs

Bah its harder learning a million difference shapes is harder than just knowing the order that the notes go, and apply it to the fretboard. Im by no means perfect, but Ive found it way easier, and helps with improv.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I think you'd need a bass amp for those. Holy crap.
I used to think six strings were a lot (back when I was a ukulele-raping child)...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Jaredmkl
+1
Do you have clips?

No, you can read about the equipment in my "Presenting: Awesome" thread, I need a recording interface so I can record decently. It sounds ah-MAZING. The only way it could get better is to replace the amp that handles my top-end with something like a Peavey 6505 or Splawn/Engl/etc
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Most 9 string guitarists (to my knowledge) go 2 strings lower (B, F#) and one higher (A, maybe G) and use the extended range for soloing AND riffing. Also, 8 string work just fine through a guitar amp...i'm running a Pod HD300 into the effects loops of a Peavey 112 Bandit and it sounds fine.
However, though range isn't an issue, scale is. At that scale (i'm assuming it's the 30") it'd be difficult to get a decent tone on the high A, however it's a very good scale length for Drop E (like Tosin Abasi/Animals as Leaders). If I were to go 9, i'd definitely get something like a 25.5" - 28.625" multi-scale/fanned fret guitar.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
Most 9 string guitarists (to my knowledge) go 2 strings lower (B, F#) and one higher (A, maybe G) and use the extended range for soloing AND riffing. Also, 8 string work just fine through a guitar amp...i'm running a Pod HD300 into the effects loops of a Peavey 112 Bandit and it sounds fine.
However, though range isn't an issue, scale is. At that scale (i'm assuming it's the 30") it'd be difficult to get a decent tone on the high A, however it's a very good scale length for Drop E (like Tosin Abasi/Animals as Leaders). If I were to go 9, i'd definitely get something like a 25.5" - 28.625" multi-scale/fanned fret guitar.

tosin abasi is ridic.

so is aal....just realized they are one and the same...
Can anyone explain the thing about guitars being able to play low in guitar amps but why basses blow them out? nobody ever really got me to understand it.

also old news and ERG haters suck

EDIT: I don't think many 9 string guys would go for high a or g as it's hard enough getting high A at 25.5. A lot of the ERG market is aimed at br00tz if you ask me, and a lot of them are into the djentydjent chug chug thing you know? fortunately there are cool guys like tosin who can play good stuff w/o just using the bottom 3 strings
Honk
Last edited by Mukersman at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by Mukersman
Can anyone explain the thing about guitars being able to play low in guitar amps but why basses blow them out? nobody ever really got me to understand it.

also old news and ERG haters suck

EDIT: I don't think many 9 string guys would go for high a or g as it's hard enough getting high A at 25.5. A lot of the ERG market is aimed at br00tz if you ask me, and a lot of them are into the djentydjent chug chug thing you know? fortunately there are cool guys like tosin who can play good stuff w/o just using the bottom 3 strings

Yes but I havent seen too many commercial offerings for 9 string guitars. Which is why I posted this.

Im sure a 9 string playing very loudly on a normal guitar amp would blow the speakers if they arent very sturdy. Guitar speakers arent designed to replicate low frequencies, so when they vibrate to create sound, they have to vibrate harder to replicate those frequencies, so they blow from overexertion.

Bass speakers are usually sturdier, and have different designs, and speaker widths.

If you want a speaker that can handle everything, I highly suggest a Hartke VX1508.

It had a 15" speaker, 2 8" speakers, and a horn. Plus it had 350 watt power handling, so no normal guitar amp is going to blow it.

Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by Jaredmkl

My guitbass is tuned to C# (below the low e on bass)
My guitar amp can handle that perfectly fine.

As long as it has guitar pickups it is fine. [fitted with a Davison 7 string bridge pickup]

[low to high, C# G# C# G# C# G#]I call it the Tri octave Drop Tune. :p

Note to those are a bit freaked by these things: They lowest string is only two notes below a regular 8 string equivalent to Drop E. it's not that low.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Mar 23, 2011,
well there are some great recordings in drop e by a guy called dan dankmeyer or something like that. someone said something about the electronics being different on a bass, but that sounds like bull. Tosin Abasi does drop E on his 8 string, and an 8 string standard has a low F#
Honk
Quote by Mukersman
well there are some great recordings in drop e by a guy called dan dankmeyer or something like that. someone said something about the electronics being different on a bass, but that sounds like bull. Tosin Abasi does drop E on his 8 string, and an 8 string standard has a low F#

It's the pickups that make the difference in signal afaik.

Maybe he was referring to that?

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
It's the pickups that make the difference in signal afaik.

Maybe he was referring to that?

but what is actually different about them? if you put the bass pickups in a guitar would it still f the amp? Would a piccolo bass which is an octave up from regular bass IIRC still screw it up?
Honk
In other news, Ibanez recently announced a new line of RGs.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
In other news, Ibanez recently announced a new line of RGs.

I lol'd.

You shouldve captioned it with "2018 Ibanez RG8,000,000"
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Mukersman
but what is actually different about them? if you put the bass pickups in a guitar would it still f the amp? Would a piccolo bass which is an octave up from regular bass IIRC still screw it up?

I just know 35 inch scale with guitar pickup = ok
whilst

34 inch scale with bass pickup = Bad

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you can use one like a real man, and use all the strings from time to time, but if you just use it and STILL drop tune it just to play open TeH bR00T4lz breakdowns, homicide will ensue. Not to mention just using like, the bottom 4 notes for riffs.

I think 7 strings are awesome, 8 a bit much, but I could manage, I'd like to use the extrended range, and not just breakdowns as most people tend to be using them, 9 I think is just "too" much for me personally, but the amp would have a hard time pushing the super low notes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE meshuggah, I think they're awesome, the only thing I don't like is the monotone full songs, like Bleed is a good song, but others where it's basically same note, just to different patterns, starts to bore me, it's very hard I know, and it's all right hand skill, but all those notes...and to only use less than like 10.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by Tango616
If you can use one like a real man, and use all the strings from time to time, but if you just use it and STILL drop tune it just to play open TeH bR00T4lz breakdowns, homicide will ensue. Not to mention just using like, the bottom 4 notes for riffs.

I think 7 strings are awesome, 8 a bit much, but I could manage, I'd like to use the extrended range, and not just breakdowns as most people tend to be using them, 9 I think is just "too" much for me personally, but the amp would have a hard time pushing the super low notes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE meshuggah, I think they're awesome, the only thing I don't like is the monotone full songs, like Bleed is a good song, but others where it's basically same note, just to different patterns, starts to bore me, it's very hard I know, and it's all right hand skill, but all those notes...and to only use less than like 10.

Bleed is a good song, but of all their songs, that ones one of the most monotonous. But its still hard as balls. That rhythm is so messed up. Plus they use 8 strings. 8 strings is the farther Id go.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
9 string 24 fret might make you weirded out...but what about 72 string 1 fret?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
9 string 24 fret might make you weirded out...but what about 72 string 1 fret?

???
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Tuned chromatically.

Which makes ask; how ARE harps tuned?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Page 1 of 2