I wasn't sure whether this would go in the Games thread or the Computer thread, so I just made a new thread.

Any ways, I have an LCD computer monitor, and I was wondering if it would be possible to run my Wii through it rather than the TV. If so, how would I go about doing it? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank-you.
There's VGA cables for all major consoles.
Last edited by bulldozerbob at Mar 23, 2011,
why not? i just don't know any monitors that have an AV or SCART connection

i play my PS3 through my PC monitor as it has an HDMI connection

EDIT: or yea, you could just get a VGA cable
You could use HDMI too, if your monitors are as pimpin' as mine :P

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Does the Wii VGA adapter allow 420p? I imagine it would...
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
i dunno, the Wii always looks shit to my eyes, compared to the 360 anyway.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

should be possible with the right cable, you'll probably need a set of speakers too since most computer monitors don't have them built in.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Silver-spear94
You could use HDMI too, if your monitors are as pimpin' as mine :P

The monitor is seven years old. Can't handle HD. It's alot bigger than my current TV though, which is why I wanna try and use it.

Looked at VGA adapters, probably just go with one of them.
yes, it is possible. you just need to know what sort of connection you have on your monitor.

supplanting my own question: is there a dvi switch that can be recommended and is fairly cheap? my monitor only has dvi and vga, but i would like to be able to run my ps3 and computer both in HD.
Quote by uhh_me?
yes, it is possible. you just need to know what sort of connection you have on your monitor.

supplanting my own question: is there a dvi switch that can be recommended and is fairly cheap? my monitor only has dvi and vga, but i would like to be able to run my ps3 and computer both in HD.

you can run HD through VGA, I do it.

Quote by robhc
The monitor is seven years old. Can't handle HD. It's alot bigger than my current TV though, which is why I wanna try and use it.

If it's 7 years old then VGA is the only thing that will work.
Quote by boreamor
If it's 7 years old then VGA is the only thing that will work.

Cool. The adapters are cheap enough, just get one of them.

Thread can be closed now.
Yes you can, and depending on the monitor it makes a HUGE difference. The clarity and smoothness of motion changes from my TV to my monitor were astounding, and as a game nerd I highly recommend it.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of a good (see: reliable/quality) PS3-monitor adapter?

I've only got my 360 running on the monitor as of now since it came with an adapter, but I'd like to have my PS3 there as well.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by robhc

monitors from the mid-90's can handle HD.

Just putting that out there. You'd be hard-pressed to find a monitor from the past 2 decades that can't handle anything better than 480x360 resolution
Quote by Luncbox1
monitors from the mid-90's can handle HD.

Just putting that out there. You'd be hard-pressed to find a monitor from the past 2 decades that can't handle anything better than 480x360 resolution

this. So many people don't seem to realise that even the highest HD standard (1920x1080 @ 60fps) isn't actually that high a resolution for pictures and text, it's only for video that it's really all that brilliant. Any monitor that can handle over 1280x720 (which is most monitors from the past 15 years) technically count as HD.

edit: even the iPad which runs at 1024x768, which is pretty much the lowest usable resolution setting for a computer since 1995 or so is quoted as "high definition".

Last edited by jgbsmith at Mar 23, 2011,
Does something like this rely on your computer's graphics card?

If you have a shitty graphics card, would the game not work well?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by AlecMag
Does something like this rely on your computer's graphics card?

If you have a shitty graphics card, would the game not work well?

Your computer's graphics card doesn't matter when you're running your PS3 to a monitor because, well, you're not using your CPU/Video card - you're using the console's.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by robhc
I wasn't sure whether this would go in the Games thread or the Computer thread, so I just made a new thread.

Any ways, I have an LCD computer monitor, and I was wondering if it would be possible to run my Wii through it rather than the TV. If so, how would I go about doing it? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank-you.

my thoughts exactly
If you have a Wii video-to-VGA cable, yes. I play my Xbox through my (24") HDMI computer monitor...
██████████████████████████████
I do that with my PS3, depends what connectors you have on your monitor, but there should be an adapter for DVI or VGA.

I have a DVI port on my monitor, got a DVI-HDMI adapter and sent the sound to a different system via the optical out from my PS3- runs awesome.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Last edited by Blackbullet at Mar 23, 2011,
Yes it's possible, I ran my xbox 360 through my 23in Hanspree monitor, which had an HDMI input.

You'd just want to buy the right cables.

It was nice for awhile, but I just but a 32in HDTV, which makes me feel like I'm not gaming on a budget anymore.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison