Ok, I've been rocking a 412 cab with a 30W Tube head at home, which is great. It's not too loud to bother the neighbors, but loud enough. For my dorm room though, I know it'd be WAY too loud. Here are my options:

Get a 112 cab, likely Avatar with a Hellatone 60 (worn in V30) for ~$250

-or-

Get either a Jet City JCA2112 or a Blackstar HT-5 combo. ~$300 and ~$400 respectively.

The way I see it, the 30W head I have now is a better amp than the other 2, and if running it with the master down into a smaller cab makes it CONSIDERABLY quieter, then a 112 is my best option.

The only concern I have is that the HT-5 has an AUX jack for headphones, which would be perfect when I wanna play and my roommate is in... So, all that being said, what's my best option as far as volume to cost is concerned?
it's not what you want to hear but i doubt it's going to make it considerably quieter. A v30 is a 100db speaker.

how does it sound turned way down? i'd just do that. Or pick up something like a microcube or da5 or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by WtrPlyr
In my experience anything other than playing throught headphones is too loud for dorms.

This 100%
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
id just get a 112 cab.

cheaper, you know your head better than any of the other amps and there's then no need for TWO amps, just one head with a 'loud' cab and a 'quiet' cab.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
No way it's going to be too loud. You're going to want to get some kind of solid-state little combo with a headphone out. If I was in that place I'd probably get a microcube.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Ideally what you want to do for quieter practice is either get something so you can play through your computer (waves GTR 3, Overloud TH2, Guitar Rig, etc, great tones for fairly cheap!).

Getting a smaller cab won't make you quieter, it'll just give you less headroom.

You could just turn it down and accept the bad tone to be honest!
What a bunch of sissies. I had an acoustic drum kit in my dorm room, and we cranked my stereo system super freakin loud to play drums along with it. Never got any complaints. Matter-o-fact, people would actually come by to listen and jam. People bringing in acoustics and their electric rigs... And I lived above the resident chaplain, and across from the RA.

Bunch of pansies.

Quote by josephde
What a bunch of sissies. I had an acoustic drum kit in my dorm room, and we cranked my stereo system super freakin loud to play drums along with it. Never got any complaints. Matter-o-fact, people would actually come by to listen and jam. People bringing in acoustics and their electric rigs... And I lived above the resident chaplain, and across from the RA.

Bunch of pansies.

+1
I had a little Peavey practice amp when I was living in the dorms and had no complaints. Not to mention my neighbors who had a stereo system cranked alot.

As long as you are playing at the right times, not waking people up, no one has anything against you.
I'm actually in college now, but all the guys in my hall are really cool. If I keep it running with the bass boost off and the master below 9 o'clock, it doesn't bother anybody and still sounds good to me, I just want it to be less intrusive.

I've been unsatisfied with the sound of any non-tube amp I've ever had, and was hoping not to go back. Our dorm halls aren't enormous either, I've only got like 5 other guys in my hall and they've been cool with my playing for the past 2 semesters...

I dunno, I've got 4 G12H30s, which are each 100db, it justs seemed to me that 1 would be a bit quieter at least...

EDIT: Wow, I wrote this when Dave's comment was last... I must type SLOOOW... I've also discovered that both the Jet City and Blackstar 112 cabs are cheaper than the Avatar... I could get a JC new for ~$130.
Last edited by Quinlan at Mar 23, 2011,
whoever has the drum kit under the bed, genius. unfortunately at my school the RAs are dicks about sound sometimes. but that being said, i have my peavey classic 30 here and i just play it quietly for practice and at gigs i get to crank it. id rather have tubes and play quietly than SS. just be sure you dont play too loud, because even as a guitarist I dont like to have to listen to the guys down the hall noodling around all day when i'm trying to do other things
Gear:
Fender MIM Strat SD Hot Rails in bridge
SX Thinline Tele
GFS Tuner Pedal
GGG Clean Boost
Barber Dirty Bomb
Boss GE-7
Ibanez SC-10 Chorus
Peavey Classic 30
I had my Peavey Classic 30 in a dorm. It WILL get quiet enough to play whenever you want. I don't know what all this talk about amps being too loud for a dorm is, if you turn up the volume on an amp slowly you can get it as quiet as you want.

TS, just use what you have now, but maybe downgrade to a 1x12 just for space.
I do not like playing with headphones on.

guitar volume dimed (or not) > dirtbox gain dimed (or not), level out set low, > clean channel on amp > volume to taste.

Essentially the distortion is coming from the pedal and the level control of the pedal is controlling the signal volume into the amp. Starving the amp's input allows you to use more of the amp's power to push the speaker a little bit yet not create too much volume. Creates more hiss unfortunately, but that can be controlled with a noise gate.

I can still do that now with a wife and child at home after they go to bed, even with a 50w amp.

The problem with playing an electric even through headphones with a roommate in the room is that the strings still ring out albeit with less volume.
I think the assumption we're making is that Quinlan wants to get good distortion at low volume. That's just hard to do with a tube amp. Clean yes. Should be fine. Distortion dunno. Depends on what is meant by "good distortion" and "quiet"...
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Neither wattage nor number of speakers will make a difference for volume. Use the volume knob, or get something small with a headphone jack, or a way to connect to a computer. Or just DL a program and play through your computer. Though I personally despise that, but w/e.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X