Page 1 of 2
So I got a job at a cafe that at night turns into a gay bar and the owner and the people I work with are gay and camp.

It really irritates me to be honest they are so childish and immature and it ****ing grates on me. Everytime someone mentions the word vibrate or you pick up something that is a ring you can expect a dildo or vibrator joke. If I started making jokes like this all the time girls would think i'm a twat but for some reason because they are camp it's hilarious.

It's not just this job at another job there was a camp guy and he was scared to go near or clean the grill and would scream like girl everytime he had too. This blatant attention seeking really pisses me off

Anyone else find camp people unbearable or do you have friends that are camp that you find really funny?
The difference is - There's no problem with gay people (obviously), but camp people DO annoy me. Camp IS a lifestyle choice, unlike gayness, and it's a bloody annoying one
My cousin is so stereotypically gay. Seriously. Celine Dion and the whole bit.
It doesn't bother me, really.
TS, where abouts do you work? I know a cafe justtttt like that (not that I'm a patron you understand...)
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Another thing thats crap is people who always have to bring up their being gay all the time every day. Yes, you're gay. I know. I dont care. No I'm not discriminating against you.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by Supertait
TS, where abouts do you work? I know a cafe justtttt like that (not that I'm a patron you understand...)

Lol your from dorchester.

Cafe Jagos.

How old are you?
Quote by Greenie_777
Lol your from dorchester.

Cafe Jagos.

How old are you?

**** a duck thats weird!

Im 21, never been in there myself but I've heard horror stories haha.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
Quote by Greenie_777
So I got a job at a cafe that at night turns into a gay bar and the owner and the people I work with are gay and camp.

It really irritates me to be honest they are so childish and immature and it ****ing grates on me. Everytime someone mentions the word vibrate or you pick up something that is a ring you can expect a dildo or vibrator joke. If I started making jokes like this all the time girls would think i'm a twat but for some reason because they are camp it's hilarious.

It's not just this job at another job there was a camp guy and he was scared to go near or clean the grill and would scream like girl everytime he had too. This blatant attention seeking really pisses me off

Anyone else find camp people unbearable or do you have friends that are camp that you find really funny?

Screw you, dude. If you think they are immature, don't blame it on their sexuality or level of campiness. They are just immature. I'm not gonna side with you/agree with you because I don't know these people. They are probably just having a bit of fun, fun that they can't normally have with other straight people (simply for the fact that they can't relate on the same level with people of differing sexualities). Yeah, if you made the same kind of jokes, you would look like a twat...TO GIRLS...let's think for a hot second about the kind of immature macho he-man bs that goes on between straight men when girls aren't present. The thing with gays is that our peers are the equivalent of "the opposite sex" i.e. they are the people we also want to screw. So we have a little more freedom with our campiness, and we don't have to look like twats for doing it.

There is a double standard between gays and straights, lots of 'em. Gay promiscuity is not nearly as frowned upon as straight promiscuity (at least for women). If I want to wear a dress, I don't have to worry about my sexual identity being questioned. And so on...Facts of life. Deal with it.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Screw you, dude. If you think they are immature, don't blame it on their sexuality or level of campiness. They are just immature. I'm not gonna side with you/agree with you because I don't know these people. They are probably just having a bit of fun, fun that they can't normally have with other straight people (simply for the fact that they can't relate on the same level with people of differing sexualities). Yeah, if you made the same kind of jokes, you would look like a twat...TO GIRLS...let's think for a hot second about the kind of immature macho he-man bs that goes on between straight men when girls aren't present. The thing with gays is that our peers are the equivalent of "the opposite sex" i.e. they are the people we also want to screw. So we have a little more freedom with our campiness, and we don't have to look like twats for doing it.

There is a double standard between gays and straights, lots of 'em. Gay promiscuity is not nearly as frowned upon as straight promiscuity (at least for women). Fact of life. Deal with it.

I read this in a really camp voice.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Annoys me too.

What gets me the most is the way that anyone who's camp, straight or gay, thinks that they have the right to make themselves the center of everyone's attention.

I even know one camp guy who's got anxiety issues so is very quiet, but he still manages to act like that.
Though he also stays out til 5am having sex with 40 year old guys...
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
I read this in a really camp voice.

Good one

I am actually the least-gay gay person I know. I'm super under the gaydar, and my sex life suffers for it.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Hawt. Another double standard w/r/t age difference
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Good one

I am actually the least-gay gay person I know. I'm super under the gaydar, and my sex life suffers for it.

Ahhh so you're one of the good ones then...
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
I don't mind campness really.

Big Gal Al is camp, but seems like a nice enough chap (using this example because people know of him. I know plenty of gay and/or camp people), so it's all good with me

EDIT: In fact, I would rather knock around with someone like Big Gay Al than some tough "lad" (who I also know plenty of)
Last edited by fender_696 at Mar 23, 2011,
I have a sortafriend who's insanely camp. He's freaking hilarious. But he is that kind of person who, in small doses, is amusing, but if I had to deal with him ALL THE TIME, like you do with those guys you work with, I'd probably start to get really annoyed.

But I'm sure that's true for anyone who's really outspoken and obnoxious.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Hawt. Another double standard w/r/t age difference

Not at all. I'd judge anyone who stayed out til 5am sleeping with random strangers, moreso if they're double their age.
For people who don't know what camp is it's people like big gay al and the other guy from will and grace that isn't will. You know the whole limp wristed squealing like a girl when they're excited men.
Quote by fender_696
I don't mind campness really.

Big Gal Al is camp, but seems like a nice enough chap (using this example because people know of him. I know plenty of gay and/or camp people), so it's all good with me

EDIT: In fact, I would rather knock around with someone like Big Gay Al than some tough "lad" (who I also know plenty of)

Whaaat? Campiness is a turnoff for me...

*coughbearscough*
I really hate camp people, especially the 'camp' way of talking (lisp etc.)

I don't understand how the fact that you happen to find people form your own gender sexually attractive can have any effect on the way talk.
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Not at all. I'd judge anyone who stayed out til 5am sleeping with random strangers, moreso if they're double their age.

Within the gay community it isn't really that condemnable...there is a huge difference the number of potential partners in the gay community, and so age difference is bound to happen more. And lots of dudes are down for one-night stands, gay or straight. So what he is doing isn't that outlandish (to me), though not perfectly ideal or anything either.
Quote by Random88
I really hate camp people, especially the 'camp' way of talking (lisp etc.)

I don't understand how the fact that you happen to find people form your own gender sexually attractive can have any effect on the way talk.

Uh, if gayness is somehow a hormonal/genetic thing even just a bit...its not that hard to imagine how it can affect someone's speech. But at the same time, I don't speak with a lisp or any campiness, I have a pretty deep voice, but I'm gay as a daisy. It is just the way they are (some of them, others I am sure affect it more than others, but even that is a nice way for gays to identify each other.)
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Mar 23, 2011,
Extremes of anything are annoying, whether it be flamboyant gay's or macho bro's. I see their problem, the people you work with, as just purely being immature.

Had a conversation with a gay gentleman at my school and he believes these 'camp' people (new phrase to me) pretty much give the homosexual stereotype and he despises them.

Also, I SEVERELY doubt a lisp being a common 'NATURAL' trait amongst gays. Sure, tons of gays have lisps but undoubtedly alot of them do it for show or identification.
Quote by djentdjent
Extremes of anything are annoying, whether it be flamboyant gay's or macho bro's. I see their problem, the people you work with, as just purely being immature.

Had a conversation with a gay gentleman at my school and he believes these 'camp' people (new phrase to me) pretty much give the homosexual stereotype and he despises them.

Also, I SEVERELY doubt a lisp being a common 'NATURAL' trait amongst gays. Sure, tons of gays have lisps but undoubtedly alot of them do it for show or identification.

I think it is wrong to despise them. It supports the same kind of blind prejudice that bigots have against gays in general. It is also a kind of self-hate. I feel like this dude partially dislikes some aspect of being gay, and he can take it out on the ******y queers.
The comedian Sean Lock said something like: "I don't mind gays, what I don't get is how a person's sexuality somehow affects their voice. For example, I'm quite into bondage. I don't mumble all the time."
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I think it is wrong to despise them. It supports the same kind of blind prejudice that bigots have against gays in general. It is also a kind of self-hate. I feel like this dude partially dislikes some aspect of being gay, and he can take it out on the ******y queers.

You a fan of macho bros? I think it is wrong to despise them. It supports the same kind of blind prejudice that women and gays have against straight guys in general.

Disliking people for how they act isn't self-hatred just because their both gay. I see it as a clique in the gay community and I'm sure alot of gay's despise their flamboyancy while some don't mind. I could go back to the macho-bro's comparison but I feel I've already abused it.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Annoys me too.

What gets me the most is the way that anyone who's camp, straight or gay, thinks that they have the right to make themselves the center of everyone's attention.

I even know one camp guy who's got anxiety issues so is very quiet, but he still manages to act like that.

Judging people for their sex life is really mature or is it just jealousy?

Anyway if you dislike your coworkers find a new job, TS, or get over it. They aren't causing anyone harm and they're enjoying themselves, what's wrong with that?
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by djentdjent
You a fan of macho bros? I think it is wrong to despise them. It supports the same kind of blind prejudice that women and gays have against straight guys in general.

Disliking people for how they act isn't self-hatred just because their both gay. I see it as a clique in the gay community and I'm sure alot of gay's despise their flamboyancy while some don't mind. I could go back to the macho-bro's comparison but I feel I've already abused it.

Your argument here is very misguided, sir. First of all, I don't hate macho bros. I think they're quite attractive, so bad example. I don't get what you are trying to say about me, that I am superblindly pro-gay? I'm not.

And I qualified my statement with "a kind of self-hate" because I believe it is. Being a part of one group ("homosexual") and being at odds with subgroups (camp/noncamp) can (ie, has the potential to) skew ones own perception of self. For example, I used to be quite against the stereotypical flaming gay, but I realized I was hating on something that was inherently somewhat a part of me too. My dislike of them turned into a dislike of myself because I didn't want to be a flaming gay. The common factor here? Homosexuality!

So I'm not hating on anyone here, which is why your smug little eye roll seems so uncalled for.
TS, you should find a manlier job. Something like a steelworks would be ideal for you.

I like camp people, because they get under peoples' skin. It's especially funny when the people who get p*ssed off by it are macho-insecure heterosexuals.

That said, I do know people who became mincer stereotypes when they came out, and I can see why that would be annoying, if people adopted those mannerisms purely as a sexual identity rather than an honest personality thing. But that's not any different from typical straight blokes, who are conditioned to adopt a very generic alpha male wannabe thing.

Quote by esther_mouse
Judging people for their sex life is really mature or is it just jealousy?

Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Your argument here is very misguided, sir. First of all, I don't hate macho bros. I think they're quite attractive, so bad example. I don't get what you are trying to say about me, that I am superblindly pro-gay? I'm not.

And I qualified my statement with "a kind of self-hate" because I believe it is. Being a part of one group ("homosexual") and being at odds with subgroups (camp/noncamp) can (ie, has the potential to) skew ones own perception of self. For example, I used to be quite against the stereotypical flaming gay, but I realized I was hating on something that was inherently somewhat a part of me too. My dislike of them turned into a dislike of myself because I didn't want to be a flaming gay. The common factor here? Homosexuality!

So I'm not hating on anyone here, which is why your smug little eye roll seems so uncalled for.

You didn't get my point. Macho-bro's are the 'camps' of the straight guy community. I wasn't asking if you thought they were attractive and I have no idea where that came from. My argument is there are unnecessary extreme's for both straights and gays, some people enjoy them but the majority do not because of the bad name they can bring.

I'm straight. Macho-bro's, in my example, are straight. They are perceived as douche-bags. I'm not a douche-bag and they give a bad name for straight men. I don't want to be a douche-bag, therefore I won't be. It does not mean I question the straight lifestyle, it means I dislike this 'sub-group' of straight men. I don't get why you would dislike yourself because other gay people are flamboyant while you are not. I can't wrap my head around that for the life of me.

The eye roll was because you support, for lack of a better term, these camp people who give the gay community a bad name, although slowly getting better. My macho-bro comparison is the same situation but I despise them simply for the bad name they bring.

Not focused, feel like I jumped arguments a few times.
I am an extrememly bromosexual individual and usually see no problem with it, but camp people really get on my wick. Double standards ftw!
I have a friend who is a campy gay guy, and he's great once you get to know him. It was quite awkward for me before hand because I'd never had to interract with people like this before but I'm fine with him. However, there are camper/more in your face people than him and I can't stand them.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by -Mantra-
Wtf you mean by "camp"?

amidoinrite?
Last edited by JoshOnLama at Mar 23, 2011,
Quote by djentdjent
You didn't get my point. Macho-bro's are the 'camps' of the straight guy community. I wasn't asking if you thought they were attractive and I have no idea where that came from. My argument is there are unnecessary extreme's for both straights and gays, some people enjoy them but the majority do not because of the bad name they can bring.

I'm straight. Macho-bro's, in my example, are straight. They are perceived as douche-bags. I'm not a douche-bag and they give a bad name for straight men. I don't want to be a douche-bag, therefore I won't be. It does not mean I question the straight lifestyle, it means I dislike this 'sub-group' of straight men. I don't get why you would dislike yourself because other gay people are flamboyant while you are not. I can't wrap my head around that for the life of me.

The eye roll was because you support, for lack of a better term, these camp people who give the gay community a bad name, although slowly getting better. My macho-bro comparison is the same situation but I despise them simply for the bad name they bring.

Not focused, feel like I jumped arguments a few times.

Apologies all around, I think we're ultimately on the same side here, man. I don't know if the arguments are really so parallel, and align-able (that is, "straight" ha!). I understand your argument now, but I think where the parallel breaks down is when you consider the fact that straight is the norm, the majority. I can't speak as a straight person, but it can easily turn into a self-hate thing with homosexuality. I know it happens with issues of race too. Like, obviously you would not demonize heterosexuality because of a few macho assholes, but it does happen where (young closeted confused alone) gay people demonize their own sexuality because of the extremes that cause the stereotypes. The pressures on you to act straight are so different from the expectations of me as a homosexual. You know...like what does that even mean? Society projects an image of what it is to be gay, and it is stereotypical, and at least in those young confused closeted alone situations (which is something almost every gay teen goes through, unlike straight teens) there is a big identity crisis. Like maybe self-loathing isn't the best way to articulate it, but some identity crisis definitely exists. I'm quite comfortable with myself now, clearly, but I wasn't always.

I guess there are some parallels though, if we frame it as an identity crisis. Like...there are societal pressures that force you to ask questions of what it is to be straight, and if you are not somewhat like these macho-twats are you somehow not straight...blahbalbahl

I could go on for hours, but it will just get less and less organized from here.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Mar 24, 2011,
Since when does "camp" mean gay?
It used to mean just stuff that was really silly, like Silvester Stallone in Judge Dredd or Arnold in Kindergarten Cop.

Do you British people always have to make English more camp than it already is?
Gay people are alright, poofs aren't.

Same sort of thing Chis Rock says about black people and niggas.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Page 1 of 2