Hey

I've tried to find if anyone else has started a thread about this there are some similar however not exactly what i am gonna ask:

Ive recently noticed when playing my guitar through my amp in my bedroom that I am not getting shocked as such, but after playing for a while, and especially when palm muting etc, my right hand near the bridge pick up fizzes, bit like pins and needles, as if i can feel the electric.

Now i've been playing guitar for years so i know its not me over playing or anything, so possibly this could be a ground issue from the guitar or amp?

To throw a spanner in the works it seemed to do it at my rehearsal space too so i dont think its the mains in the house

I've also disconnected my pedals to go straight ito the amp, and also tried with my pedals through two seperate power supplies but still getting the "burn" in my hand

Anyone else had this?
Have you got someone else to play at each place to see if they too can feel it?? Does it happen from your shower taps or similar? It does sound like an earth problem but maybe the earhting in your house. Does it do it at other venues other than your house? Do you have any sort of isolation transformer in the supply line, as switchmode power supplies(inside the amp), can sit at quite a different earth potential if isolated from the main supply. I would be putting an earth leakage circuit breaker on at least the power point that supplies the amp, this will at least cut the power in the event of , earth leakage in nano seconds to protect YOU
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
If you value your life *at all* your next piece of gear will be a power conditioner for your rig to plug into.
I've experienced what you're talking about, happens to me on 'sharp' tune-o-matic type saddles. Makes my palm sorta tingle/fizzle.
But bad grounding can kill you in an instant. Only takes millivolts to stop a heart.
Some readin' ...
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/193630-electrocution-strings.html
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.
Quote by Turnonthebright
Thanks a lot for the replies

I'm not turning it on again until it's sorted. Many thanks

Good idea. I've read stories of guys dying playing amps that weren't properly grounded, or the power in the building not being wired correctly. You'll be standing there with your hand on the neck and your fingers touching the strings with your left hand, and reach up to grab a mic with your right hand and ZAP! lights out.
Hey settle guys , we have the guy dead before the problem has been sussed, that doesnt help him.
Number 1. pull the guitar apart to see if there is anything strange (wiring wise) inside the guitar (i.e.if there is any bare wires touching or the jack wired reverse, or the tone cap soldered on the wrong pot) i have had guitars, to be fixed, with all these problems but still played. Try someone else's amp at your place to see if it is the guitar house or amp. The bottom line is that there should be no way that current should be going up the lead to your guitar, exactly the opposite, the minute current created by the PUPs travels down the lead to the amp.
Other reasons can be a pedal that is faulty, or pre amp, that are connected & in series to the amp.
Im not saying to go & stick your finger in a power point just be careful (use your brain) & this problem is one you will be bragging about here in a year.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Yeah and I think it might be over exaggerated. I've zapped myself on outlets, spark plugs, and the high voltage lead for some 6L6s... twice. I'm still around, the HT lead just gave me a small burn. BUT that said, high current is what kills. There's not a lot of current on any of these things, so that's why I didn't die. So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.
a loose jack plug on your amp could have the earth not getting good connection, should just cause noise 'but' !!
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by LeviMan_2001
So in the end, be careful, but even still it's not THAT easy to get killed to death.

Sig'd
yeah I said it. What.
Quote by LeviMan_2001