ok so i was talking to the other guitarist in our band today and we were talking about amps, he said that eventually he may want to sell his 6505+ 112 and get a different amp because he said hes fine with the tone coming from it but he says it feels a bit "lacking" of something and that his solo tone sucks.

just now he sent me a description of his "perfect tone" and exactly what he doesnt like about his peavey and he says theres tons of gain on it but its dry and not all usable, and he wants something with alot of gain, but good gain, he also wants it to be tight and articulate and he doesnt mind for a clean channel, as long as theres a 3band eq for it. he also wants it to sound big but still wants it to be tight.

theres a music stores around here thats about 45 mins away that has sound proof room to crank amps so were gonna go some time to try a real 6505+ and a dual rectifier and see what he leans more towards. but waht else would work? because his ideal tone sounds like halfway in between these 2 amps
get both and run them stereo? haha

has he tried running a tubescreamer or overdrive through his 6505? or maybe use a different speaker
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
well he hasnt, i keep telling him to buy a tube screamer for his solos, but even then hes still not saitsfied with the ryhtym tone completly.'

keep in mind though that he wants a good gain-ey rhythym/ metal tone from it as well as a good solo tone from it. and he also wants a seperate clean channel so i think he wants a 3 ch amp.

and just out of curiosity, why wouldnt you say a recto for leads? padge from bullet for my valentine uses a triple rec, i think kirk hammet uses a triple rec too. and i know he likes those tones. also i do realize that the also boost them with tubescreamers but he'd probably do the same
Quote by Seanthesheep
well he hasnt, i keep telling him to buy a tube screamer for his solos, but even then hes still not saitsfied with the ryhtym tone completly.'

keep in mind though that he wants a good gain-ey rhythym/ metal tone from it as well as a good solo tone from it. and he also wants a seperate clean channel so i think he wants a 3 ch amp.

and just out of curiosity, why wouldnt you say a recto for leads? padge from bullet for my valentine uses a triple rec, i think kirk hammet uses a triple rec too. and i know he likes those tones. also i do realize that the also boost them with tubescreamers but he'd probably do the same

Different strokes

A Tubescreamer would be the best bet if he doesn't have a boost already but I know what he means about the generic 6505 tone
Tell him to get a real 6505.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That would at least contribute to the "bigger sound" problem. The 112 combo is pretty meh compared to the "real" 6505's... Has he ever played a 6505 (Not the +)? It might be more up his alley, given what he's said.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
no he hasnt, hes played his 112 and thats it, he knows what good gear sounds like but isnt necessarily aware of what gear to go for if he wants a particular sound.

ive never been to this store but he has and he says theres a dual rec there and a 6505. he didnt specify which version though. but thankfully they also have sound proof amp rooms there for the customers

but he also would really like to have a seperate eq for the clean channel
Oh, in the OP I thought you said that he didn't care about a clean channel.

Depending on his budget, I'd recommend a Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifier then, if he wants good cleans. If he is easily satisfied, a 6505+ head would be fine too. It's very possible to get decent-good cleans, you just have to have some skill in EQing. I pulled it off on my global EQ 5150, and I was very happy about it, haha.

But regardless, I'm sure he'll find what he's looking for when he goes to the shop.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
haha sorry for the confusion but he wants and uses a clean channel on the amp. he also wants a seperate EQ for it. but he doesnt really care for the amps clean channel reputation. he is pretty awesome. he can pull of a good clean channel on his 112 at band volumes and can even make his spider III sound pretty good O.O

so he wants the EQ for the clean channel but wether they are good or not doesnt matter to him

but are there any other options for him if he wants to keep it under 2k$ CAD?
besides rectos or 6505s for his needs
Well I know Engl amps are pretty highly recommended, I think one of them has a good clean and good dirt channel. I don't personally know anything about them, so maybe someone can clarify more on that. I think they're expensive though.

I have a massive amount of love for the Peavey Vypyr, but that's not everyone's cup of tea, and he may want something more "real". It can get pristine jazz cleans and face melting distortion, and switch between them instantaneously all day long though.

There's also the Peavey Ultra/XXX/3120 (all the same amp, released under different names through the years). They are voiced a bit differently than 6505's, a fair bit brighter. But they're highly regarded as good high gain amps with good clean channels. There's also the JSX, which doesn't have as much gain, but is more articulate and has a better clean channel.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ENGLs around here are crazy hard to find and expensive, even used. so they are probably out.

the vypyr he doesnt really like, hes played it before and the only modeler he really like are line 6 which confuses me like mad.

im deffinitley going to try to get him to check out a 3120 or an XXX if we find them, theyre kinda hard to find around here too
Tell him my Engl Fireball is for sale for $950 plus shipping.

If I could keep it I would but it's too big for more dorm
Quote by Seanthesheep
hes not looking to buy any time soon really, he hasnt even had the peavey for a year yet

Well no one in MN seems too interested so it'll probably be around for a while

I flipped my 5150 after having it for a few months for the Engl, definitely happy about it. The Fireball is just my ideal metal tone but lately I've gotten more into noise and fuzzier stuff.

I guess if it doesn't sell I can always keep it around for the ultra brootz.