Hey lads!

I have an Ibanez RG321 and the strings are pretty close to the frets.

But lately I've been experiencing buzz noises from the strings on the lower frets (1, 2 and 3). I can see how the string gets closer and closer going from from the head to the nut, and it's just too close at the first 3 frets.

If i was able to raise the nut the problem would easily be fixed i recon, but that would require magic i guess.

So I'm thinking something with the truss rod? Any ideas?

Thanks

PS: getting access to the truss rod would require removal of the strings, I imagine that it will be pretty hard to adjust the rod the correct amount when tension from the strings is removed :/
Last edited by FullHorizon at Mar 23, 2011,
If you're guitar has never been set up - get it set up. Generally guitars that aren't very, very high end have uneven frets, and then it also could be your bridge/truss rod.
You don't have to completely remove your strings...just loosen them and move them aside a bit. Truss rod adjustments are really easy. I did it successfully before I had any knowledge of how to set up guitars.

That said...you should just get your guitar professionally set up. It's not expensive and you'll be really glad you did it.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Leave the truss rod alone. Its only there to counteract the pull of the strings. Too many people crank on that thing and break it or make their neck go funky. You probably just need a fret level and maybe a bridge height adjustment. Its possible that the truss needs to be loosened a little but you'd want to check the neck with a straight (a REALLY straight) edge ruler to verify that. You can also check it by fretting at the 1st fret and also at the fret closest to where the neck meets the body (around 15th) on the same string. Now look at the string. There should be a slight gap between the string and the frets. You may not be able to see it so tap in the middle of the string. If you hear a click you are good. This is your relief. I fret with my pinkys on each hand and tap with my thumbs. If there is no click or gap THEN you should loosen the truss a little. Only like 1/8 turn at a time.
ok fret the low E at the first fret.
at the same time, fret the Low E at the last fret,
where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fret wire there, then you dont have enough
middle relief.

so post back and i'll talk you through it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I dont mean to interrupt or hijack but while you're here jenny....

I've been having buzz/dead notes on the first fret of my agile 8 string and did you test, the string lies on the frets the whole way. Could you talk me (and potentially the OP) through adding a little bow to the neck? Great appreciation
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
I dont mean to interrupt or hijack but while you're here jenny....

I've been having buzz/dead notes on the first fret of my agile 8 string and did you test, the string lies on the frets the whole way. Could you talk me (and potentially the OP) through adding a little bow to the neck? Great appreciation

no prob.

if it lays on the fret wire at the middle gap when you hold both ends,

then add a little relief.

detune the strings needed to get to the truss rod.

turn the truss rod 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.
that's a very small amount.
don't force the turn.
then tune up to your tuning.
letting it settle in tune.

check it again later today.

see if the buzz transmits through the amp.
if not then you're good.

if you're still getting buzz, measure again.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Hey I've done the test and the string rests on the middle frets - no gap.

When i look at the neck i see a "happy smiley" arc - I've tried making a little drawing of what the situation is (exaggerated).

What to do? Thx
Attachments:
guitar.jpg
Last edited by FullHorizon at Mar 26, 2011,
Alright I loosened the truss rod about 1/4 turn and it really did the trick! BUZZ = GONE

TY!
Quote by FullHorizon
Alright I loosened the truss rod about 1/4 turn and it really did the trick! BUZZ = GONE

TY!

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62