So I have an old epi SG that I never play anymore and I think it would be cool to turn it into a fretless. I've already removed the frets and im not sure about how to fill the slots.
I guess what im wondering is, do I need to put veneers in the slots, or can i just fill'em with wood filler?
not to be discouraging, but my bands producer/engineer did that to a classical acoustic.

he ended up pouring gas all over it and watching it explode lol
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
A rosewood fretboard, assuming because SG, isn't going to hold up very well fretless, especially for bending. On a bass rosewood fretless is fine, but a guitar - I don't know.
Don't use wood filler, it shrinks as it dries.

Use wood that fits, then sand it flush.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by _LoveFuzz_
A rosewood fretboard, assuming because SG, isn't going to hold up very well fretless, especially for bending. On a bass rosewood fretless is fine, but a guitar - I don't know.

Clear coat it a little and use flatwounds. I would it would be find with a small barrier between the wood and the strings. I'd use wood filler, dye the board to make it look more uniform then give it a protective coat.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'd fill it with strips. I have seen ones where they have filled the slots with lolly sticks, and then sanded them down, and left the contast in colour. I thought it looked pretty cool actually, and helps you a lot if you aren't used to a fretless and finding all the note positions....
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Veneer. The 0.6mm stuff usually fits straight into the slots, and it looks pretty too.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.