So I have the dentists tomorrow and I only noticed a few days back that I have several cavities/signs of tooth decay. I have a large cavity and the others are smaller.

I was wandering how they treat them and how long it takes. If anyone could give me any answers on this that would help alot. I'm just worried and scared. I know I shouldn't be really but I am.

And yes I do brush my teeth. I do this twice daily and I do it as best as possible. However I haven't seen my dentist in over two years so I'm thinking that could be part of the reason as to why I have them.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Custom '86 Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
Last edited by Outlaw Torn at Mar 23, 2011,
Needles... in your mouth.

Mouth = Numb.

Drill noises.

Weird Blue Light.

Pay Bill.

Don't eat for half hour.
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
First they shoot you.
Then they drill you.
Then they fill you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Geebz

Mouth = Numb.

Drill noises.

Weird Blue Light.

Pay Bill.

Don't eat for half hour.

How much does it roughly cost per tooth. I'm in the UK by the way.
My Gear

Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
I will be honest, patients have little idea as to what goes on in their mouths have the time.

If you have problems your dentist should explain what they are and what the treatment is. Generally if theres decay, you remove it then restore the hole you have made.

Brushing helps, but your diet is the biggest factor in whether you get decay.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I have had like 4 or 5 done all together, its not bad at all. The tiny pinch of the needle is the worst part. It depends on your cavities, but if they are sideways or something then they have to put this metal brace thing on the tooth while they do it which is annoying. It doesn't take very long at all. You can't eat for 30-60 minutes, and your teeth are gonna be sensitive for the next week or so. I was lucky and had one side done at a time, so while that was healing I could still eat on the other side. But yeah, don't worry about it really, it isn't as bad as you think.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
I'm not sure about the costs, but getting fillings is one of the least painful things the dentist can do to you. I'd rather have fillings then have my teeth cleaned at the dentist, from the perspective of discomfort.

The freezing they give you doesn't bother me at all though, as I've had plenty of needles in my mouth over the years, from extractions to periodontic surgery.
It actually depends on how bad the cavities are, with all the ones i've had the've just put caps on them, or something like that, don't think it cost any extra, but this was before i was 18 and dentist was paid by NHS, but it doesn't take long, nor does it hurt.

but if they are really bad, as Geebz, and somewhere in the region of £50 i think.
Guitars:
  • 40th Annivesary Strat USA
  • BC Rich Mockingbird ST
  • ESP LTD M200UC w/ BKP Aftermath's
  • Parker P38
  • Ibanez RG7321 w/D-sonic and Liquifire
  • Tangglewood TW47 B
  • PRS SE 245
  • Edwards E-EX-110D Stain Cloudy Black
Aren't you people like...genetically predisposed to have bad teeth?

But seriously, not having been to a dentist in 2 years doesn't mean you'll get cavities. The main thing is flossing/rinsing your mouth with water so stuff doesn't just sit there and eat into your teeth.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Outlaw Torn
How much does it roughly cost per tooth. I'm in the UK by the way.

Well I live in Canada... so I have no idea about the UK.

All I can say is if it's anything comparable to here, I hope you have some decent insurance or a couple hundred dollars kicking around.

Being a Dentist is like having a license to print money....
Quote by Yakult
Shooting mice is the equivalent to smoking weed: it's fun and seemingly harmless, but before you know it, you're shooting smack into every vein and murdering children left right and center.

GeEbZ.
Quote by Geebz

Mouth = Numb.

Drill noises.

Weird Blue Light.

Pay Bill.

Don't eat for half hour.

This.

I'm getting 3 root canals tomorrow so remember you wont be having the worst dentist experience tomorrow.

I wish I was lying
the worst part is the needles and the taste.

you taste the filings of your teeth when they drill them... ****ing disgusting

Quote by bokma
This.

I'm getting 3 root canals tomorrow so remember you wont be having the worst dentist experience tomorrow.

I wish I was lying

root canals didnt hurt as bad as i thought they would

its just like getting a filling except it takes 2 visits and they have to put the crown on

the temporary crown is annoying though because it breaks down in your mouth after a few hours
Last edited by rickyj at Mar 23, 2011,
Exam = Free
X-rays = £4.40
Fillings = Around £13
Crowns = £60-90 depending on type
Root Canal = £50
Extractions = £14

Thats roughly the NHS prices, private prices differ a lot
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Do you floss your teeth TS? That's very important.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Good news guys! What I thought was a large cavity was in fact just an old filling that had worn down slightly at the surface(which I didn't actually know was there, weird) and what I thought were signs of decay were just staining of the teeth.
My Gear

Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
First they take xrays to see what's going on. Then the dentist will pick at your decayed spots with a sharp metal object (this will hurt). Then they stick a large needle in your gums in a few different places in order to apply lidocaine (this will hurt too). Wait a few minutes until that takes effect. Then they use a drill to get out the decayed parts of your teeth (not really painful but not fun either). Then they'll apply fillings. In a few hours the lidocaine will wear off and that's that.

Of course if they find enough decay in any spot there's a chance you could need a root canal, where they drill your teeth down to the root and use little metal hooks to go inside and snag and remove the nerve(s) from your tooth. That's following by drilling your tooth down to a stump so that you can get a crown installed. The dentist will take an impression of your mouth with this cold goopy crap and then make and glue to your tooth stump a temporary crown. Then you'll have to go back in a few weeks for him to rip off your temporary crown and glue on the permanent one. It's possible to also need a crown even if you don't have root canal too.

That's about it.
1. Pick at your teeth
2. Inject you with local anesthetic
3. This.
Attachments:
huge_saw.jpg
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Dentist scene Lethal Weapon 4

This thread make me think of this, thank you
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
I make fake teeth. Crowns, bridges, etc. If you **** up it means business. Enjoy your candy =D
Quote by Tim the Rocker
And thus you are now part of the Pit, and with respect.

Quote by GODhimself37
You are easily taking the prize for my favorite 11er.

Quote by darkwolf291

That seals it. You are now my favorite '11er.