Thanks for taking a look. I was wondering what some good stretching exercizes for my fingers would be. I am trying to get this riff to sound right.
|------------|----------------------------------
|------------|---------0-(0)-------0h1--------
|------------|-------8-------8---------0-(0)---
|------------|-----6-------------2---------------
|------------|--4--------------0----------------
|------------|-----------------------------------

I can't seem to get my pinky to the 8th fret without moving my other fingers off the
4th and 6th fret. The 4-6-8 should ring out. I am placing my 1st finger on the 4th fret,
my 3rd finger on the 6th fret, and pinky for the 8th fret, is that the correct finger positions? Thanks for any help..
might try your middle on the 6. That usually works best for me but if i am doing a, say 3-5-7, on the same string I sometimes use the third finger. Just keep practicing and you'll get it.
using my 3rd finger for the 6th fret there is how i do it, so you should be able to get it too. just keep trying so your hand gets used to it, but always watch how hard you're pressing the strings and never force it.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
sounds like it's not just a stretching problem. you need to increase your finger strength if you can't stretch your pinky without removing others. there are some really good exercises in the lessons area to help you with this. One lesson in particular has helped me a lot, but I cannot find it right now. I have it bookmarked at home
Last edited by mark3777 at Mar 23, 2011,
I have pretty small hands, lol, and my stupid pinky points tward my thumb for some reason. I will try the middle finger on the 6 and see if that helps any. I am about 1/2 a fret away from the 8th fret if I just hold my fingers open without even pushing strings down, hopefully I can find some good stretching exercizes or something.
Most stretching issues are just more or less resolved by time. The more adept your hands get at using a guitar, the easier stretching will be. But for right now, you can check out John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD. The first half hour has some pretty good exercises for warming up your hands and stretching them out. You can find it in its entirety on google video.

And yes, using your middle finger on the 6th fret would help.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Sorry I had to pick up the guitar and look at my thumb, it is facing horizontal with the neck in the center almost. The tip of my thumb is pointed at the "head" basically.
Is that right?

p.s. Thanks for your sticky tutorial, it has helped a noob like me soo much..
Last edited by cooper1965 at Mar 23, 2011,
Ideally, your thumb should be about the middle of the neck or a little lower and parallel with the frets.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Oh , so my thumb position is wrong. So the tip of my thumb should be pointed at me insted of the head? Should the pad of my thumb press against the neck, or like the side of my thumb?
It should point pretty much straight up - sometimes it doesn't matter, but if you need stretch you need to adopt a position where your fingers are parallel with the frets and the thumb is behind the middle finger pointing up. (take a look at the start here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwNJ2It-Pc8 )

Try this - take a pencil, and support it with even pressure from each finger, with the thumb in the middle. That's roughly how it should feel.