So I've just started listening to power metal and need some songs to learn.

So what are some easy/intermediate power metal songs?, preferably in Standard tuning, tuning not that important though.

All I've got at the moment is Hammerfall - Last Man Standing.

Thanks in advance
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
I was about to suggest Hammerfall but then you mentioned them!! :L I would say Hammerfall are the best to learn but also have a listen to Brother Firetribe. Quite easy songs
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
just checked out Brother Firetribe, I like it, thanks for the suggestion
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
There are lots of great power metal bands out there.

My top favorites: Sonata Arctica , Helloween, Hammerfall (as mentioned) , Stratovarius , Edguy ( a must) ,Firewind , Blind Guardian and Rhapsody ( Known as both Rhapsody and Rhapsody of fire ).

Other good bands : Angra , Gamma ray , Falconer , Iced earth , Avantasia , Dream evil ( first album "Chasing the Dragon" )

There you have some bands, many of those have easy songs aswell as harder so you can progress. It´s just a matter of checking them out

I´d say "I want out" by helloween aint too hard, aswell as Fullmoon by sonata arctica.
^^ Thanks for all the suggestions will check them out.
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Just a little note, not that important though.
The majority of power metal songs are in D# tuneing, a halfstep down from standard
They just do it so it will still sound abit heavy.
Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror, Turn the Page, Straight through the Mirror
Rhapsody - Holy Thunderforce, Dawn Of Victory, Dargor Shadowlord
Firewind - Allegiance, Mercenary Man, Till the end of time
Hammerfall - Hearts on Fire, Natural High

Some of my favorite Power Metal songs to play, you should download Audacity or a similar program to pitch shift the Blind Guardian + Firewind songs up to E tuning. Power Metal bands always have incredible guitarists though so the leads can be very technical. When your up for a really big challenge try a dragonforce song despite the criticism they get. Learning a 3 minute solo at 200 BPM will really improve your playing.
^^ yea i did notice some of the leads were quite hard

Great suggestions though, thanks for your help
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Kamelot yet? :O

They play in Eb tuning though. Most of their rhythm work is pretty easy but some of the guitar solos can be really mean!
Yeah
Sorry to bump my own thread but have decided to learn Blood bound by hammerfall and need some help and didnt want to make a new thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSDsYmZREwo&feature=fvwrel
when the rhythm starts about 20 seconds in, are palm mutes being used? The tab says no but when i watch covers and listen to the song, im not sure :S

Cheers for you help guys
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Last edited by zYx Monster xYz at Mar 27, 2011,
Watching Over Me - Iced Earth is a brilliant song, and Tanelorn - Blind Guardian is pretty good too, both somewhat easy I think.
Quote by zYx Monster xYz
Sorry to bump my own thread but have decided to learn Blood bound by hammerfall and need some help and didnt want to make a new thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSDsYmZREwo&feature=fvwrel
when the rhythm starts about 20 seconds in, are palm mutes being used? The tab says no but when i watch covers and listen to the song, im not sure :S

Cheers for you help guys

If you hear palm muting, try with and without it. Whatever gets you the closest sound. It sounds like it's lightly muted in that part to me, but it could just be a really tight rhythm tone.
^^ I have tried it with and without. If I don't palm mute it just sounds wrong and when i do mute, the mutes sound very crunchy. I reckon I need to play around with my amp settings see if that works.

Thanks again
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust