SET UP:
Epiphone LP Standard w/ Stock Pickups
Line 6 Spider 4 15w
Digitech rp355

RANDOM INFO:
Genre: Hard Rock, Blues, (some) Metal
Budget: 750$ (850$, but my preferance is 750$)
City: Louisville KY USA
Future Interest: Roland GR-55 Synthesizer, A good amp, a nice set of pickups that will play Hard Rock/Metal/Blues, Better Guitar
Favorite Musicians/Bands: Carlos Santana, The Eagles, Randy Rhoades, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Ray Charles, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin...etc. the list goes on

I've been looking into Bugeras (i was told by several musicians at the store i work at to look into them...namely the Bugera 333xl-212). I've also looked into Carvins, Orange, Blackstar, Crate, Fender....and a slew of other random amps, but havnt found the right sound i've been craving...

Im looking for an amp that will give a good tone, more of a mix of Carlos Santana with Led Zeppelin...because those are two of my favorite performers...I know its a sort of a bad thing to copy other musicians tones/styles, but those are honestly the types of music i enjoy playing, it IS my style...but alas, i need an amp that will fit that style

As mentioned above i would prefer to keep the budget under 750$ but i will go up to 850$ if one of you recommend an amp that blows me away.

Also if you can recommend some low output pickups (essentially vintage outputs...) i would be highly appreciative...i was thinking some gibson 57 classics or possibly some Dimarzio PAF's...but im open to any type/brand of pickup as long as the budget for the set/pickups are under 250$

THANKS

ps: im not against buying used amps...but if the price of the used amp is 720$ and the price of it brand new is 810$...i will definitley spend the extra 90$ for the new amp
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Mar 23, 2011,
A used Vox AC30 plus a good distortion perhaps? The 30 should be able to handle most of the Classic rock sounds you need and the distortion will push you into Hard Rock. Not a metal amp by any stretch, but for Rock and Blues it's perfect.

Pickupwise, for $250, I'd check out Bare Knuckle Pickups. Some pretty sweet ass looking magnets.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
generally speaking vintage amps tend to be one trick ponies and aren't going to cover all the genres of music you want to play.

unless you consider a mesa from the 80s "vintage".

sure a shitton of pedals on a bassman may work.
I have heard of Bare Knuckle pickups and its a brand that i am HIGHLY interested in, i actually sent them an email asking if they shipped to the U.S. and what some good pickups for my styles would be

I was thinking of buying a Vox AC15VR Valve Reactor, but i keep hearing mixed reviews about them. Some reviews i hear they're the best amps on the market and the next saying that the tubes buzz and they are worthless...
With your budget, I wouldn't bother with a hybrid amp. I know it's been said a million times on this site but pure tubes really are superior.

I've just come home from a band practice where I played through my good amp. After a week of playing through my hybrid practice amp, the difference was phenomenal. So much richer and fuller sounding. Much more responsive to pick attack.

If you aren't willing to shell out your whole budget, there are all tube alternatives in the same price range as the Valve Reactor that would blow it out of the water tonewise.

¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
alright, well could you recommend some...i know tube amps are AMAZING, so if you could (or anyone else for that matter) tell me some good all tube amps that would be great...

BUT...if possibly (cause i dont know if it is) to get a combo amp instead of a Head & Cabinet Set i would prefer that...i know thats askin ALOT lol...thats one reason i was gearing towards the Carvins, on the main site they're offering this:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitaramps/v3microseries.php
(The V3M112 is the one im talking about, the head and cabinet combo...and yes i realize that i contradicted what i said earlier....but it seems like a REAL deal)

plus joe walsh endorses Carvin amps, so if i can sound like him as well (...i know...dont copy other musicians, but i also love playing The Eagles) i would be pleased as well
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at Mar 23, 2011,
oh...i forgot to mention this, and it will sway some peoples recommendations

I'll be playing this amp in my bedroom and at band practice...and some gigs...so it'll be going EVERYWHERE that i go basically...so no, "Oh buy this 500w solid state amp, it'll rock your socks off!"

it'll also blow my ear drums out in my bedroom and probably deafen my neighbors lol
the jet city 50 watt head and a 212 cab would probably fit the bill pretty well.

it's not dead nuts on for any one tone but it can get pretty heavy and sounds good.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481014

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MI-Audio-Crunch-Box-v.3-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=502482

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Micro-Metal-Muff-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150128

This would probably make a good combo for you then. The Classic 30 is a clone of the AC30, getting you those rich Classic Rock tones as well as onboard reverb. Loud and big enough to gig, small enough (1x12") to fit in a bedroom.
The Crunch Box should push you into easily into hard rock. For metal, just stick the Metal Muff in front of it.

Total comes to about $850. A bit over budget, but for this kind of setup it would be well worth it. Consider taking $100 from your pickup budget perhaps?

what you want is a Mesa Mark series combo. probably not in your price range though. santana was one of the first to use them and you can definitely get zep tones from one. a used MK IV goes from $1000-1200 used. now that would be ideal but you may be able to find one for the other Mesa models cheaper that would do the trick as well.
Ive heard good things from Jet City...i've never got to try one out, but i'll look into them
ya, im fine with lowering the budget for pickups seeing to as how i can easily buy them later...I have looked into Mesa amps, specifically the Mesa Boogie, since (i believe) Santana was the one to key its name

but, i cant find anywere to buy them from...im not sure how to buy them off the main website and Musiciansfriend doesnt even have them in inventory....
what are some good Mesa products that sound as good? (and preferably under or at budget lol, i got bills to pay...and i would much rather have a house than a REALLY good amp)
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
what are some good Mesa products that sound as good? (and preferably under or at budget lol, i got bills to pay...and i would much rather have a house than a REALLY good amp)

a 5:50 or a Lonestar might do the trick. have to go used though as Mesa is rather pricey. honestly we can recommend forever but you need to get out there and try out some amps. Zep tones aren't real hard to get with most modern amps Santan might prove to be a bit harder but with the help of a pedal or tow can be gotten from lesser amps.

i hear you on the bills and house thing i have bills and a mortgage is one of them. guess thats why i got a Peavey Valveking instead of a high end expensive amp . that one does the Zep pretty good never tried for Santana.
Jcm 800.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Jcm 800.

what he said or...

Fender Super Sonic but I am biased.

There are probably alot better used options on older gear. I saw a 4x10 bassman on craigslist for 325 3 months ago. Look hard and find a good used deal. But there is a jcm 800 on cl now for 850. omaha nebraska or kansas city i believe is where I saw that listed yesterday.
Last edited by caw1 at Mar 23, 2011,
How many more threads are you going to start?
BTW JCM800, AC30, Classic 30, maybe some kind of Mesa.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by B.C. RICH5000

Mesa Heartbreaker. I played one and it seems like it would fit you well. They usually go for around 800 that I've seen.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by hansolo1106
How many more threads are you going to start?
BTW JCM800, AC30, Classic 30, maybe some kind of Mesa.

lol, if im dumping 750$ PLUS on an amp...i want to hear personal opinions, read reviews, play it several times before i buy it, get tips to get the best tones, see what other people have to say, hear recommendations for other amps and possibly hear what the president has to say on it....does that answer your question?
Quote by JMcG92
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481014

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MI-Audio-Crunch-Box-v.3-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=502482

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Micro-Metal-Muff-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=150128

This would probably make a good combo for you then. The Classic 30 is a clone of the AC30, getting you those rich Classic Rock tones as well as onboard reverb. Loud and big enough to gig, small enough (1x12") to fit in a bedroom.
The Crunch Box should push you into easily into hard rock. For metal, just stick the Metal Muff in front of it.

Total comes to about $850. A bit over budget, but for this kind of setup it would be well worth it. Consider taking $100 from your pickup budget perhaps?

holy crap dude...that looks like a perfect set up. I actually have had several musicians tell me really good things about the Peavey classic 30, and those pedals are easily within budget to go along with it. I think i may have found my perfect set up lol. Within the next month or so i'll go to a guitar center or some other local music shop and try it out, if it seems right for me, ill definitly buy it along with those pedals.

thanks man, that is probably one of the best recommendations for my preferances i've seen in a while