I've got a Schecter Hellraiser, and I'd like to swap out the pickups in it, because quite frankly, I don't like them. They're hollow and metallic sounding, I haven't had the guitar for very long, so I can't just throw it out and drop 2K on a new PRS.

Anyway, the body is a slab of Mahogany, Maple top, with a rosewood fingerboard.

In the bridge, I want something on the higher output side of things, think Alice in Chains-We Die Young. Something mean sounding that I can switch to and whip my head around.

In the neck, I want something a little more tame, but not incapable of good overdriven rhythm tones, i.e. Foo Fighters. Something in the realm of rock, but not metal.

I want passive only. I'm not a fan of active buckers anymore.

Budget for a SET is about $200
Alnico II PAFs, bro.

Lots of manufacturers to choose from in that range.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I'm confused, the stuff you want to play is neither classic rock or vintagey blues
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by ethan_hanus
Seymore Duncan SH-5 Custom in the bridge, and a SD Pearly Gates in the neck, my favorite combo of pickups that do not involve high gain metal and you can't spend $300 on for Bareknuckles.

Fixed.

SH11 may have too much bass and low end for a mahogany guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love mine but it was designed for bright guitars - like a Strat. I can do cleans, blooz, and brootalz with it
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Fixed.

SH11 may have too much bass and low end for a mahogany guitar. Don't get me wrong, I love mine but it was designed for bright guitars - like a Strat. I can do cleans, blooz, and brootalz with it

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I just love that combo since it's in the Fender Custom Spalted Maple HH Tele, which is a guitar that I loved playing.

It had a mahogany body with a spalted maple top, and it sounded great to me through a Fender Twin.
The custom and the PG aren't going to balance all that well. It would be very bridge heavy, and have a volume loss when you go to the neck only. just sayin.

a set of pgs would work with a b52 though, well I would think. As far as getting as heavy as you need that is.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 24, 2011,
Sorry, I kinda lost track of this thread. Anyway, let me clarify a few things so that people get a better idea of what I want.

By vintagey blues and classic rock, I meant the tones I am after. Not that Alice in Chains or Foo Fighters were either of the two.

I want a slam bangin pickup in the bridge for Alice in Chains type stuff, some real crunch and harmonics, with something a bit more mellow and "sing-y" in the neck.

Hope that helps, and I appreciate the responses I've gotten so far!
Last edited by whatadrag at Mar 24, 2011,
burstbuckers.

but if you want to play the stuff you listed, id say the pafs would be good too.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
burstbuckers.

Hell.

No.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The SH-5 sounded good for my bridge bucker... I suppose I just need a good candidate for the neck.

Pearly Gates? or something different entirely?
pearly gates was gonna be my suggestion until I read the bands you wanted to sound like, but after the clarification that would again be my suggestion
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Okay, cool. What about coil-tapping these? Anyone have experience with either the SH-5 or Pearly Gates coil-tapped?
I would go

Bridge Pup: Dimarzio Norton
Neck pup: Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
^ I dunno if Alnico V is necessarily the way to go for blues, but he's welcome to try it.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Fixed.

Actually, it has a somewhat small amount of bass. It just has a very small amount of treble and a ton of mids. Sorry for being pedantic, I just had to get that off my chest

I agree with the Duncan Custom bridge and PG recommendation. It will balance well if you know how to properly adjust pickup height. If that still worries you, go check out BG pickups. He makes great PAF type pickups that will balance better than a PG (like a BG Bucker).
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Well, the BG bucker is 20 bucks cheaper than the Pearly Gates, and it's hand wound by a real guy, not just a factory. I think I actually emailed this guy a while back about some pickups and he seemed friendly enough.

Also, I'm planning on wiring both of these for Coil Split, and the BG bucker is said to have good split tone, (and from what I can tell on the sound clips, it does).

Would a BG bucker balance well with the SH-5 in the bridge?
If you're coil splitting, try to get asymmetric winds so when you split you get about the same as a single coil.

Quote by Linqua5150
burstbuckers.

but if you want to play the stuff you listed, id say the pafs would be good too.
You know that Burstbuckers are just PAF copies right..? And that PAFs are costing several thousands of dollars these days?