I got a 2009 Tokai LS 160. Awesome guitar, great fit and finish, but at higher gains it was going microphonic.

I brought it in to have pickups repotted, by a very very very reputable luthier in the area, so i am not questioning if he did the job or not.

But when practicing a few days ago, plugged into a 400 watt speaker and amp, going through a pod x3 live at, when at very high volumes, tapping the pick off the pickup causes the guitar to still go microphonic ( horrible squealing from pickups).

Fair enough i was less than 3 foot from the speaker, but i thought that potting should resolve this completely.

Guitar teacher said it sounds like the potting was not done correctly.

Is it a case of

1. the job was not done correctly?
2. The pickups just cant handle the volume and i need different pickups?
3. Any guitar, no matter what the pickups will go microphonic that close to the amp/speaker at those volumes?
I have a feeling it's door number three.
If you were further back, you probably wouldn't of had that problem. I mean, a 400 watt amp is meant to be played at a pretty big venue. You'd be far from the amp itself, (even if it's just 10-15 feet away).
Potting by itself isn't nearly enough to stop you from getting feedback from standing in front of a 400W amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Potting by itself isn't nearly enough to stop you from getting feedback from standing in front of a 400W amp.

Its not general feedback, like the kind you can use to enhance a tune. Its a horrible high piched scream/ hum. Microphonic pickups sond very different from standard feedback.
To answer the other questions, no, I'm not fully sure its the guitar, but my tdaeachers guitar can operate at higher volumes and gains without going microphonic.

Might have to bring it back to the luthier to get him to look at it again. One thing Thi, my pups are close to vintage Gibson humbuckers. Guitar teacher uses dimarzios. Would that make a difference, even if my vintage style pups were potted?