Hi, I want to start playing guitar and am looking for a good acoustic for under $300.
New or used, doesn't matter. I'd like to know what you guys think about neck width, because it seems like it would be harder to play on a wide neck...
Thank you!!
Have a look on the internet, research guitars, shop around for the best price, if you see one you like for the right price look up reviews about it and if there positive then it should be ok. Go to your local guitar store and tell them what you want for the price you want, they'll help you pick, starter guitars dont have to be top spec, when you improve and get good then you can move up in quality and brand. Best of luck
Music...Enough said.

Merci

Such is life.....
thank you but ya ive done quite a bit of research and just want to know which specific guitars you guys think would be the best for me?
Yamaha would be a good place to start. A lot of people on this forum recommend them for sound and build quality and it is what I learnt on many years ago. I bought an FG700 for my Aunt recently which had a solid top (which is a bonus in a starter guitar) and played nicely too if that helps.
Last edited by g1jammer at Mar 24, 2011,
it's not harder to play on a wider neck unless you're used to a narrow one. it's harder to play on a narrow neck because the strings are very close together - new players often find it harder to play with their fingers that close together as do some of us experienced players. btw, i have small hands and find a guitar with a 1 3/4" or 1.8" nut MUCH more comfortable to play.

that being said, except for classicals, which have a really wide neck, i don't know of a single wider neck guitar for under $300. i definitely recommend the yamaha fg700s or the recording king rd-06. both have solid tops and good sound. you might also look into the yamaha fg720s, fg730s and the hohner essentials line

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-rd-06-dreadnought--RD06.htm

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-Essential-Plus-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=583605

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG720S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518275
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Mar 24, 2011,
thanks for the help!! i really appreciate it guys

and do u recommend getting a better used guitar like the seagull s6 original or a new guitar like the fg700s?
if you can get a seagull s6 in good condition, that would be a very good choice. i had an s6, and it was a wonderful guitar. the reason i didn't suggest it is that if you're new to guitar, you may not know what to look for to be sure the guitar is in good condition. you'll want ti check to make sure the bridge isn't lifting - it's an inexpensive fix, but could also be indicative of the guitar being mistreated. look carefully for cracks - even small ones - and you'll want to determine what gauge strings have been on the guitar. there's less chance of needing a neck reset if lights or extra lights have been kept on it. i wouldn't recommend getting an older one - more room for issues - so find out when it was originally purchased.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
thanks guys!
but is it hard to strum on a wider neck (seagull), and is fingerpicking possible on a narrow neck (yamaha)?
i've never had the slightest problem strumming on a seagull s6 or slightly wider neck. and you can fingerpick on a narrower neck, although i find that my hands cramp after a while. some people are used to fingerpicking on a 1 11/16 nut neck, but i prefer the way i can slouch when playing a wider neck, not to mention how much more forgiving it is. ymmv.
Quote by Skeet UK
Last edited by patticake at Mar 27, 2011,
thanks guys!! i think im gona go for a seagull s6 used even though i have pretty small hands, doesnt seem to be a problem for anyone