Right now I'm using the AcmeBarGig ShredAmp Simulator as a plugin . It gets the job done, but I feel like there's something about it that sounds kinda... dead? I'm not completely sure how to describe, but it doesn't sound as great as I think it could. There's a sample on my profile (I know the mix isn't good and that it's outta sync, I made recorded it in about 10 minutes just to give a sample for this post). I plug my guitar straight into the computer. I'm aware something like PodFarm would be the best option, but I just can't afford it right now What's the best free simulator plugin? Or would it help the overall sound to also apply cab impulses?

Thanks in advance
no no, something like Pod Farm wouldn't be the best option.
The free options sound better to most people's opinions.

Lol you didn't apply cab impulses?

talk about a facepalm moment.

without a cabinet impulse you're only getting the pre-amp sound which will sound horrible.

It's just like playing with nothing but an amp head. You need the cabinet if you want a good sound.

apply cabinet impulses and then see what you think.

If you still don't like it then look into the Lepou amp sims.
Haha yeaaaah I kinda started to think about the impulses after I recorded and about halfway through typing my original post >.>

And I always see online musicians saying they use podfarm and patches and all that so I figured that was some sorta default lol.

What's a good plugin-program for cab impulses and/or amp sims? (it'd be convenient to do it all one program, but if not it's alright).
nah. it's just popular, but the free results tend to do a better job.

if you want a full program then you'll have to pay.
the only one that is decent alone is Revalver. Any of the others will still need you to use your own impulses to sound the best. and sometimes then they won't sound too good either.

just google amp sims if you want those. go to www.guitarampmodeling.com if you want to download impulses.
Ah I see. Well i'll definitely check those out and try and apply some impulses to see how it sounds.
Thanks for the help.
actually, shred has a cab simulator built in. which means that you dont really need impulses. but the cab simulator is the thing i dislike most about shred, so you are kind of on the right track. disable the cab sim (button on/near the bottom somewhere) and load up your own cab sim impulses. i feel like it really helps the sound. kefir is the impulse loader i use, and then i run ryan's (catharsis studio) impulses (find here).

LePou has some nice amp sims, i tend to use those more than shred these days. hybrit is the one ive been using most lately, but he has some other nice stuff as well.
Yea, Hybrid (hybrit?) is awesome. LeXTAC and Le456 are great too. I'm still trying to get good results from LeCto but that isn't bad aswell.

I like NickCrows amps too, and the TSE one, I forget the name...X something I think.
Quote by maggot9779
Yea, Hybrid (hybrit?) is awesome. LeXTAC and Le456 are great too. I'm still trying to get good results from LeCto but that isn't bad aswell.

I like NickCrows amps too, and the TSE one, I forget the name...X something I think.

Really? because I find it really easy to get a good tone out of LecTo. Use Lecab 2 and the free Redwire impulses that AcmeGigBar gives. Being able to use multiple impulses really helps with the tone and you might need to cut some of the 4K Frequencies. (I read on that in some article)
The last recording I made used Lecto and I got a pretty good tone out of it.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Quote by jof1029
actually, shred has a cab simulator built in. which means that you dont really need impulses. but the cab simulator is the thing i dislike most about shred, so you are kind of on the right track. disable the cab sim (button on/near the bottom somewhere) and load up your own cab sim impulses. i feel like it really helps the sound. kefir is the impulse loader i use, and then i run ryan's (catharsis studio) impulses (find here).

LePou has some nice amp sims, i tend to use those more than shred these days. hybrit is the one ive been using most lately, but he has some other nice stuff as well.

The AcmeBarGig Shread 2.0 is actually pretty good, but you have to pay for it. Any of their free stuff just sucks bad, and I have a lot of their free stuff, just way too noisy.

Like reccomended in this thread, look into LePou, they have a tone of great free amp sims, which you can hear some crappy tone tests of them by following the link in my sig about VST amps.
Quote by kcorkcar
Really? because I find it really easy to get a good tone out of LecTo. Use Lecab 2 and the free Redwire impulses that AcmeGigBar gives. Being able to use multiple impulses really helps with the tone and you might need to cut some of the 4K Frequencies. (I read on that in some article)
The last recording I made used Lecto and I got a pretty good tone out of it.

Well, yea, I can get usable tones out of it, I just find it hard to tweak it to get the sound I hear in my head if you know what I mean.
Quote by chaoticfables
but sound is all personal preference.
very much so.

A lot of amp sims are very fuzzy and brittle sounding.. like Lecto. It sounds decent but not too great imo.

The link you posted isn't can't really stand for being one of the greatest ever. Even in the mix it doesn't sound too good. :\
I've heard a lot better from it, but still am not too much of a fan.

I've tried like 50 amp sims and never like them as much as a certain one. ;D
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Mar 24, 2011,