I bought my guitar about three years ago and I've been playing sporadically ever since. However, I have a lot of free time up at college in a small town where I don't know many people. Thus I have been playing much more than I ever have before and I have improved immensely. But I do need some guidance on some techniques.

My most trouble lies within chords and moving from different chord shapes. An example I can give would be the song "Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I can play the entire song except the chorus where I have a lot of trouble moving smoothly between the chord changes. Are there any exercises or songs I can practice to improve my chord play?

Chords are my biggest issue, but I run into issues playing scales or exercises that skip strings. I practice with a metronome but unless I play incredibly slow it sounds choppy.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
PM me if you want to talk about the Red Hot Chili Peppers or hip-hop.
If you're having trouble with the transitions, it means your fingers probably aren't comfortable enough with the chord shapes to keep up. So the answer to both your chord difficulties and your choppy playing is to slow down. A lot. Take it slow enough that your brain is 100% in control of your finger motions until the chords/technique are properly ingrained, then slowly work back up to tempo.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Mar 23, 2011,
Thanks for the help. I'll try slowing down the chord changes.

Another issue I forgot to mention is I have trouble playing songs where I have to mute certain strings (not either of the E's, the middle strings). I can't seem to figure out how to mute the strings that don't need to be played. Again, any help is appreciated.
PM me if you want to talk about the Red Hot Chili Peppers or hip-hop.