So i just got a new bass on the weekend right. Today I looked at the back in the light and noticed some abstract scratches that were a tiny bit deeper than the inevetable finish scratches. Givin the location of them on the body I shamefully sighed and knew right away where they came from....my belt buckle. I had heard about this stuff in the past but was never worried cuz I wear my belt all the time when I play my guitar and no scratch marks(plus my t-shirt covers my belt buckle). I'm kinda freaked out cuz I havent even had the bass for a weeks yet and I'm trying so hard not to damage it but did due to something I already knew about. Anyway, the scratches aren't bad and dont go very deep and are only visible in the light but I feel stupid for letting this happen to my new bass already so if anyone knows a way to get rid of the scratches and/or prevent them from happening again (besides not wearing a belt lol) I would like to know. Thank you.
Quote by lavalamp360
So i just got a new bass on the weekend right. Today I looked at the back in the light and noticed some abstract scratches that were a tiny bit deeper than the inevetable finish scratches. Givin the location of them on the body I shamefully sighed and knew right away where they came from....my belt buckle. I had heard about this stuff in the past but was never worried cuz I wear my belt all the time when I play my guitar and no scratch marks(plus my t-shirt covers my belt buckle). I'm kinda freaked out cuz I havent even had the bass for a weeks yet and I'm trying so hard not to damage it but did due to something I already knew about. Anyway, the scratches aren't bad and dont go very deep and are only visible in the light but I feel stupid for letting this happen to my new bass already so if anyone knows a way to get rid of the scratches and/or prevent them from happening again (besides not wearing a belt lol) I would like to know. Thank you.

Toki? Is thats yous?

OT: I don't know.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Unless you're very, very careful or don't wear a belt, you may as well accept it's going to happen. My old Spector copped a fair few belt scratches. Or you can wear your bass higher.

EDIT: I've known dudes who've gotten a bit of cloth or a small towel or something and stuck it in thier pants to cover thier belt. But they looked like complete tools doing it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Mar 24, 2011,
if it scratched you must have had a big metal buckle...and if your bass is covering it then nobody can see it...get a normal belt
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Just wear your belt buckle to the side where it won't scratch your bass. That's what I do anyway...
maybe when you play you could slide your belt to the left or right (depending on the size of the buckle of course). Or take it off and put it on sideways temporarily. Just thinking logically.
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
wear your bass at a different level. or jsut let the buckle rash happen, its only buckle rash.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by longneckdude
if it scratched you must have had a big metal buckle...and if your bass is covering it then nobody can see it...get a normal belt

I've always had a normal buckle
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
You have two choices live with the scratches... or do what I do. Instead of putting your buckle on the front of your pants, put it on the side. It kind of sucks when you have to take a poo in a hurry. But most people think it looks neat. So you'll get cool points for that.

But more importantly with the buckle on the side you wont scratch your bass anymore

On the bright side you got the first scratch out of the way. Now you have nothing to worry about, right!?
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Mar 24, 2011,
Old VOX guitars had a snap on pc of leather ...I think maybe some other manufacturers had kind of the same thing.
I think I would just let it happen - never picked up a well played axe that didn't have significant buckle/button/zipper wear.
Think of it as patina or well earned badging.
Last edited by 57tvjr at Mar 24, 2011,
1. it doesn't matter really, but I can see why you would want to avoid it

2. don't wear a belt
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by 57tvjr
Old VOX guitars had a snap on pc of leather ...I think maybe some other manufacturers had kind of the same thing.

Not leather, actually some kind of synthetic cloth pad on the Vox. On this model of bass it actually hides the huge plastic cover that is over the "Voxtronics" effects and tuner circuitry.

No matter how careful you are there will be wear and damage to any bass or guitar.

On the plus side, people pay more for "road worn" from the factory, so maybe you are upping the resale value.
Last edited by Quintex at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by SalsaShark561
Just wear your belt buckle to the side where it won't scratch your bass. That's what I do anyway...

Thiiiiiiiiiiis. Why don't more people know!!!

Quote by darkwolf291
It's called buckle rash. It happens, and adds character.

... Don't even get me started on my "character" rant....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Mar 26, 2011,
If you are confident in your abilities, you could buff it out.
There is risk in this though, you could easily go through your finish if you are using a buffer wheel.
Try guitar polish with a light abrasive in it.
..I was watching my death.
Wear your bass higher. Not only do you avoid the belt, but when I did it, my playing ability increased.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by askrere
Am I weird that I never wear a belt, just wear pants that fit?

I thought it was weird that I seem to be the only one who doesn't tuck in their shirt, thus preventing buckle rash.

Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
But more importantly with the buckle on the side you wont scratch your bass anymore

But that looks silly.
Quote by SalsaShark561

THIS!!!!

Whether it looks silly or not, if ur playing bass onstage, some skank is gonna hopefully try and get some anyways, belt to the side or not.
Last edited by thegreatgambeen at Mar 26, 2011,
Quote by Alex Vik
I thought it was weird that I seem to be the only one who doesn't tuck in their shirt, thus preventing buckle rash..

I am a member f the no-belt untucked baggy shirt club.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by thegreatgambeen
if it gets super hot or ur outside sometimes u just gotta take off the shirt man.

you never have to.

In fact I never have and probably never would.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Quintex

Not leather, actually some kind of synthetic cloth pad on the Vox. On this model of bass it actually hides the huge plastic cover that is over the "Voxtronics" effects and tuner circuitry.

No matter how careful you are there will be wear and damage to any bass or guitar.

On the plus side, people pay more for "road worn" from the factory, so maybe you are upping the resale value.

...I think maybe Gretsch had some kinda protect
...NICE Teardrop Bass!