This is the first real piece I am working up on classical guitar.

My question is...the switch from the 4th to the 5th bar in the second (major) section...going from the B7/F# chord, to what looks like a Bmaj9 much higher on the neck...

Is it really possible to do this and maintain a strict metronomic rhythm?

I feel like this is maybe a pointless question...if its a written piece of music then of course it should be able to be performed with accuracy.

But its just such an odd and uncomfortable movement...also, every single person on youtube that plays it, including the professionals, slow down the piece during that switch. I know, they are probably just trying to be expressive and give it a rubato feel...but considering that every single player slows down the piece at this part, it seems like there might be a reason for doing it besides musicality...

Or do I just need to stop complaining, and put on the metronome as slow as it will go and tortuosly learn how to do it.

Help please.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
I don't have time to check it out specifically but a great way to learn difficult shifts is to practice the shift on its own as fast as possible, while remaining accurate and playing both chords staccato.
Quote by GuitarGuitar
I don't have time to check it out specifically but a great way to learn difficult shifts is to practice the shift on its own as fast as possible, while remaining accurate and playing both chords staccato.

No, that's silly, if you're doing it as fast as possible without any regards to sound or muscle tension, you're just going to sound like crap.

Quote by thegloaming
This is the first real piece I am working up on classical guitar.

My question is...the switch from the 4th to the 5th bar in the second (major) section...going from the B7/F# chord, to what looks like a Bmaj9 much higher on the neck...

Is it really possible to do this and maintain a strict metronomic rhythm?

I feel like this is maybe a pointless question...if its a written piece of music then of course it should be able to be performed with accuracy.

But its just such an odd and uncomfortable movement...also, every single person on youtube that plays it, including the professionals, slow down the piece during that switch. I know, they are probably just trying to be expressive and give it a rubato feel...but considering that every single player slows down the piece at this part, it seems like there might be a reason for doing it besides musicality...

Or do I just need to stop complaining, and put on the metronome as slow as it will go and tortuosly learn how to do it.

Help please.

If it's your first piece, work on something else, the Romance is not exactly a beginner's piece (even though so many people know how to 'play' it, they do a shit job).

Yes, it's possible to do while maintaining a strict metronomic rhythm, there are so many other pieces out there which are barre hell and can be played without much interruption to the music. Check out Choros 1 by Villa Lobos and Sevilla by Isaac Albeniz (The John Williams version is particularly good in terms of accenting and articulation but the Bream version has more character but is less technically accurate)

Players who use rubato to compensate for a lack of technique aren't good players, if it's a coincidence that use of rubato suits that section, it's mere coincidence. Rubato's meant to facilitate musical expression, not cover up for a lack of technique.

Practice the shift, I can't exactly explain how over the internet because good position shifting technique and getting a good barre with the least effort is incredibly hard to explain over text. It's one of those things that can only be well explained in real life.

Hope I helped out though.