Hey, so now I know you're supposed to be using your wrist, not your fingers to bend notes, but what about unison bends, or bends where you're keeping one string straight and the other bent? How do you go about that?

Right now I'm putting one finger on the stable note, and using the other 3 to bend the note, mostly fingers, but using some wrist too. Problem is, half the time I do this, the stable note is somehow muted...maybe I'm lifting my finger when I do this, I dont know.
Last edited by Sy_B at Mar 24, 2011,
practice, sounds like you are doing it right so just keep practicing and you'll get it....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Oh alright, so it is acceptable to bend with your fingers in this case?
sorta.... typically the note that isn't bent is on the same fret or lower so you would use your index finger to fret that one then either your pinky or ring finger to fret the bent note and kind of twist your wrist a bit to push up on the string.

however if the note being held still is on a higher fret this is much more difficult so you should use your fingers for this bend.

I hope that makes sence to you....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
If you bend the B string with your ring finger for instance, the ball of THAT same finger (ring finger) will rest against the G string and that alone, will mute the G string.

Another trick is to palm mute at the bridge without muting the B string or whatever string you are bending. It takes a little practice but is quite efficient actually. This way, you DON'T have to use other fingers of the left hand and it leaves them free to put to other use in your leads. )
==============
accounting software
shopping cart hosting plans
it's recommended that vibrato be done with the wrist, but it's not as important for bends because you don't need to make a constant even motion. it'd be pretty hard to not use finger muscles for extreme bends high up the fretboard. and for the unison bends, you're not gonna do a full-on vibrato with the bent note anyway, so it's fine.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!