Page 1 of 3
Yeah cuz Star Wars is definitely too obvious of a choice and this thread would probably end up being a big debate about which Star Wars is the best (It's A New Hope btw) Starwars is the best movie ever btw

Anyway other then that its hard to even narrow my choices down to five but they would be something like this,
Star Trek II the wrath of Khan, since I'm a Trekkie I gotta put this one. best star trek movie ever nothing comes close, except the original show which is my favorite

Brazil, a movie by Terry Gilliam (Monty Python) this movie is so amazing one of my favorites, it's probably the best dystopian future movie ever made, I like it even more then Blade Runner

Blade Runner, need I say more?

Logans Run, a pretty obscure sci-fi movie made in the 70s. If you haven't seen it and your into cheesy bright colorful sci-fi movies you need to see it

And Finally The first Terminator movie, I like it even more then the 2nd I like how its more focused on the story and less on special effects. Plus Arnold makes a way better evil terminator.

Wow that was hard to even narrow it down to that, there's just way too manygood sci-fi movies...
Star Wars
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Serenity. This movie is made of pure awesome.
Alien was pretty cool.
Blade Runner was alright. I didn't understand it. Should probably watch it again.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Quote by ICOG
Serenity. This movie is made of pure awesome.
Alien was pretty cool.
Blade Runner was alright. I didn't understand it. Should probably watch it again.

Yeah I had to watch it twice before I really got it. If your a fan of Blade Runner you should watch the movie Brazil. That movie was seriously everything I could want in a movie like that. And I just bought Serenity but haven't watched it yet. I'm expecting it to be pretty good
So you're a Trekkie that thinks Star Wars is the greatest movie ever?

GTFO. NAO.

OT: Off the top of my head, Terminator II. Simply amazing movie.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I came in here to say Brazil. One of my favourite films.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
On Logan's Run, I always felt it was a really good idea that was badly done. I mean it's an okay film but the idea is better than the execution.

If I was a famous filmmaker I would totally remake it and unlock it's philosophical musings in more detail.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Classic (w/ EMG-81)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Quote by Offworld92
So you're a Trekkie that thinks Star Wars is the greatest movie ever?

GTFO. NAO.

OT: Off the top of my head, Terminator II. Simply amazing movie.

So I'm not aloud to like both? lol thats kinda close minded. I like the show but the movies leave a bit to be desired. Besides being the Star Wars nerd you are you should be happy that everyone loves Star Wars, even if they're the evil Star Trek fans, I should Vulcan mind meld your ass
It was just a joke

Although I do personally hate Star Trek, I don't have anything against you or people who do; I understand it.

I was just comically perpetuating the stereotype.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just a few: Blade runner, District 9, Event Horizon, star wars trilogy, twelve monkeys and Gattaca.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Offworld92
It was just a joke

Although I do personally hate Star Trek, I don't have anything against you or people who do; I understand it.

I was just comically perpetuating the stereotype.

Yeah well you know how we Trekkies can't take a joke
Blade Runner, District Nine, Alien and Aliens.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
Yeah well you know how we Trekkies can't take a joke

Quote by Kensai
Just a few: Blade runner, District 9, Event Horizon, star wars trilogy, twelve monkeys and Gattaca.

I thought Twelve Monkeys was extremely overrated after I watched it. Is it one of those "for it's time" movies?

EDIT: I hated District 9. I think that may be because I watched it after I graduated high school... The entire movie was just like a recap of what happened in apartheid. Except they made the aliens represent Africans, and they made the Africans in the movie represent white people in Apartheid. It was completely uncreative, IMO.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by Kensai

District 9 is definitely mine.

Terminator II is an extremely close second. F**king love that movie.
Alien
Sunshine
Blade Runner
Primer (I think it counts as sci-fi, though not the high tech super futuristic kind this list is made of)
The Thing (the John Carpenter one. Idk if you want to count this as sci fi either, but it had aliens and focused on science, so...)
Im surprised so many people think District 9 was such a great movie. TBH I thought it was a rather mediocre action movie.

I'm also surprised no one has said 2001: A space odyssey because normaly that movie has fan boys all over it.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin

District 9 is the only one that really pops out at me. I've seen heaps of good Sci-fi films, but not many brilliant ones.

For TV, though; Firefly , X-Files, Star Trek (the original series,) Stargate Universe
Quote by ICOG
Im surprised so many people think District 9 was such a great movie. TBH I thought it was a rather mediocre action movie.

I'm also surprised no one has said 2001: A space odyssey because normaly that movie has fan boys all over it.

2001 is really, really, really slow... That maybe the reason no-one has said it yet.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Butt Rayge
District 9 is the only one that really pops out at me. I've seen heaps of good Sci-fi films, but not many brilliant ones.

For TV, though; Firefly , X-Files, Star Trek (the original series,) Stargate Universe

Thought I was the only one who knew about Firefly!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
2001 is really, really, really slow... That maybe the reason no-one has said it yet.

I've tried to watch it a few times and fallen asleep. It's soooo boring.

Good soundtrack though.

First time I tried to watch Close Encounters of the Third kind I fell asleep too. I gave it another chance and enjoyed it, but only a bit. I thought it was a brilliant concept with a terrible execution.
Quote by ICOG

Yeah I think 2001 is too slow to really be a fun entertaining movie to watch. It's visually beatiful and it was an inspiration for every space movie since but its a challenging watch (I've only seen it once though and it seems like a movie you have to watch like 3 times to appreciate) It's like the citizen kane of sci-fi.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I've tried to watch it a few times and fallen asleep. It's soooo boring.

Good soundtrack though.

First time I tried to watch Close Encounters of the Third kind I fell asleep too. I gave it another chance and enjoyed it, but only a bit. I thought it was a brilliant concept with a terrible execution.

*gets flameshield* I have yet to see that movie.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Heaps of people know Firefly, the only reason I didn't mention it was because this thread is about movies
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin

Serenity didn't grab me like Firefly did. It was still great, but it definitely lost something that the series had. I suppose you have to change things when you transition from TV to the big screen.
I liked the movie "A Sound of Thunder" based on Ray Bradbury's short story of the same title.
i hate star wars... far too overrated imo

i'll go with Serenity. (though it helps if you watch Firefly the TV series first.)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Dark City anyone ?

District 9,
The Fountain,
Blade Runner,
did I mention retro futuristic Blade Runner ?
Dune,
Alien, Aliens,
Children of men,

And a load of classics that I can't think of right now.
Children of men, how could I forget! That was a brilliant movie.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin

Last edited by ICOG at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
And Finally The first Terminator movie, I like it even more then the 2nd I like how its more focused on the story and less on special effects. Plus Arnold makes a way better evil terminator.

QFT

and you didn't even mention the best thing about the first one, the fact that john "whiny piece of crap" connor hasn't been born yet.

Sphere is one of my fav's, contact is pretty cool, THX 1138 is also cool, event horizon is just b-grade badass (in a good way) and 2001 ASO has always been a favourite.
Solyaris by Andrei Tarkovsky. Based on an amazing novel by Stanislaw Lem, a Polish author, it was sort of like the Russian counterpart to 2001. It was way better, really. After that I would probably say Blade Runner.

Really all the best sci-fi is still in print. It's not easy to translate the real thing to film, so what we end up with is a bunch of dumbed down shit that all gets lumped into "sci-fi" if someone shoots a laser. Star Wars is NOT sci-fi. It's a space opera. It's not sci-fi because science fiction is about a concept, and the aim is to stretch or challenge the mind. Even from the very first science fiction works like Jules Vern, that's what it's been all about.

EDIT: Also, Vanilla Sky.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Mar 24, 2011,
Event Horizon, Alien, Aliens.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
Yeah cuz Star Wars is definitely too obvious of a choice and this thread would probably end up being a big debate about which Star Wars is the best (It's A New Hope btw) Starwars is the best movie ever btw

Anyway other then that its hard to even narrow my choices down to five but they would be something like this,
Star Trek II the wrath of Khan, since I'm a Trekkie I gotta put this one. best star trek movie ever nothing comes close, except the original show which is my favorite

Brazil, a movie by Terry Gilliam (Monty Python) this movie is so amazing one of my favorites, it's probably the best dystopian future movie ever made, I like it even more then Blade Runner

Blade Runner, need I say more?

Logans Run, a pretty obscure sci-fi movie made in the 70s. If you haven't seen it and your into cheesy bright colorful sci-fi movies you need to see it

Wow that was hard to even narrow it down to that, there's just way too manygood sci-fi movies...

Blade Runner is crap, so I'd like you to say more.

2001 is brilliant.

Haven't watched Brazil. Will watch it.
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Quote by OldHairyOne
Blade Runner is crap, so I'd like you to say more.

2001 is brilliant.

Haven't watched Brazil. Will watch it.

You better have a flameshield ready for saying Blade Runner is crap.

Just a question, why do you think it's crap?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Spartan101400
2001: A Space Odyssey (They need to complete the series)
Dark City
Dune
Minority Report
Ghost in the Shell

Minority Report is good except from the scene involving Cruise jumping from car to car and the fight in the car factory makes it loose a little credibility for me.

Great movie though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Minority Report is good except from the scene involving Cruise jumping from car to car and the fight in the car factory makes it loose a little credibility for me.

Great movie though.

I really only like the movie for it's concept and themes.
The second Aliens movie.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Page 1 of 3