Page 1 of 2
Hey, i recently purchased a Pod HD 500.. it's pretty amazing..
now i need a 20watt or 30watt tube amp, that would be good for progressive rock/ metal... (Read: Porcupine Tree, TOOL & Opeth)

the thing is , i want it to be loud enough to be used in small bar gigs and have the ability to sound good in moderate to low volumes

has to be tube. never had one, now i want one!

don't need effects or distortion. I tried a Blackstar HT 20 combo, the distortion was pretty good, but the clean tone sucked.. didn't have my pod to try with it, but wasn't clean enough, if you get what i mean.

Basically want an amp for playing something like this, a demo i recorded the first day i got my pod!
Pod HD500 AMBIENCE DEMO - Youtube
Tube, not sure. But a good solid state one is the Peavy Spyder 15 watt. Small, easily moved, and LOUD AS A BITCH!
RoboHendrix wrote:

megaironpriest wrote:

Glad to see Bruce and Rob on there.

Stevie Wonder is a great singer but he would be really boring the watch, he just sits there the whole time

Stevie Wonder is blind...moron...
Quote by Polaris666
Tube, not sure. But a good solid state one is the Peavy Spyder 15 watt. Small, easily moved, and LOUD AS A BITCH!

This is wrong on so many levels I can't even laugh about it.

TS, I suppose you like the disortion of your POD. If you do, you probably do not want a full tube amp, something like a Tubepoweramp might be the better solution, using your POD as Preamp. That way you won't have to use to Preamps, which could end in fizz and a mess (could also sound good, though)

You could always just buy a normal tube amp, something that has a good clean tone (Some sort of fender, depending on your budget, a Laney VC30, Vox AC30, something along those lines) and feed the signal from the pod through the FX return.

There are also the Atomic Reactor amps, that are designed to work with Modellers, however, I never tried one for myself and can't tell you if they're sounding good.

Last, but not least, a 19" rack poweramp might be the best (and most expensive) solution. Try as many as you can and then decide for the one sounding best to you. Maybe a Mesa or Engl.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by OrangeWalls
This is wrong on so many levels I can't even laugh about it.

TS, I suppose you like the disortion of your POD. If you do, you probably do not want a full tube amp, something like a Tubepoweramp might be the better solution, using your POD as Preamp. That way you won't have to use to Preamps, which could end in fizz and a mess (could also sound good, though)

+1000
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
Clean tones, that's obviously Fender written all over it. Opeth uses Laney which is very transparent sounding.
Peavey 20/20 power amp. and you can get them relitivly cheep, and they are all tube!
Quote by OrangeWalls
You could always just buy a normal tube amp, something that has a good clean tone (Some sort of fender, depending on your budget, a Laney VC30, Vox AC30, something along those lines) and feed the signal from the pod through the FX return.
+1 on getting an amp with an FX loop. You have the option of going straight into the FX return or using a 4CM hookup.
Its not tube, but if you want something portable that sounds pristine, try an evans. Its not cheap, but it leaves the fender sounding far from clean. You want ultra cleanliness when using an fx and amp modeler.
Quote by fly135
+1 on getting an amp with an FX loop. You have the option of going straight into the FX return or using a 4CM hookup.

The only option. Period.

Not really, but IMO the best option with the most versatility.
If you like the PODs sounds (distortion AND clean) then the most simple set up would be buying a rack power-amp. You can get decent ones eg. Rocktron Velocity 300 for relatively cheap, couple hundred euros or so. But if you have more to spend you could go on a Marshall 50/50 or mesa power-amps.

Cheers
I would also suggest either:

Fender Hot rod series or twin series depending on budget/taste
Roland JC120 (this thing has best cleans in the world to me and takes pedals/pod style devices really well, is solid state but DO NOT be put off by it!)
Tube power amp or decent monitor.
Quote by skralan

Roland JC120 (this thing has best cleans in the world to me and takes pedals/pod style devices really well, is solid state but DO NOT be put off by it!)

I was thinking the same thing about the jc120.
I heard all the poeple on here claiming ss amps cant take pedals wich i know is bull.
I would think since the pod hd has tube and amp simulations a keyboard amp wich has no color would be best or p.a.? not shure how a rack mount poer amp works.

I would think a tube amp would color a pod hd?
^ thats what I was pondering. Thats the reason some people say that you are better off with an SS Rocktron Velocity 300 rather than a Marshall 50/50, because SS>tube in this case.

But I aint sure if thats really the fact. Havent tried them out myself, so if anyone could clarify this?
Quote by dlowe102

I was thinking the same thing about the jc120.
I heard all the poeple on here claiming ss amps cant take pedals wich i know is bull.
I would think since the pod hd has tube and amp simulations a keyboard amp wich has no color would be best or p.a.? not shure how a rack mount poer amp works.

I would think a tube amp would color a pod hd?

Cheap SS-modellers won't take pedals well, and since most cheap ss amps are modellers, people tend to generalize.

Regarding the keyboard amp/PA-suggestions. That really depends on what the TS wants. Since the POD only provides Preamp-simulation (At least I think so, IIRC) the colouring of a poweramp could be very much appreciated to shape the tone. However, the TS might like the sound of his POD without a poweramp better. That is something only he can decide.

Quote by fc89konkari

^ thats what I was pondering. Thats the reason some people say that you are better off with an SS Rocktron Velocity 300 rather than a Marshall 50/50, because SS>tube in this case.

But I aint sure if thats really the fact. Havent tried them out myself, so if anyone could clarify this?

A Rack-poweramp is a normal amp, just chopped in half. Again, SS and tube both serves their specific purpose. You want tube-colouring, maybe pt-breakup, get yourself a low wattage tube rack power amp, something like a mesa 20/20. You want more headroom, get an engl E480, and so on. Use a high wattage SS-poweramp if you want less colouring and no Poweramp breakup, for example a PA. The big advantage is, that you can mix power and preamps and get new sounds.

Their is no "better" in general. Everyone likes different things, and everybody has his own taste. However, in this case I'd stay away from a SS-poweramp, simply because you do want to have a bit of colouring. However, the TS might see this different.
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Last edited by OrangeWalls at Mar 25, 2011,
How about an FRFR cab/amp?

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html

Its tube, so it should add a bit of tubey warmth without coloring the POD's tone.

EDIT:
Crown makes a nice PA for 300 dollars, the XLS series.
Its not so overpowered that you wont be able to get a cab for it.

The Carvin DCM is also good- loads of geadroom, and it has a power percentage meter so you should be able to keep if from blowing cabs.

The Carvin TS100 is a good transparent sounding tube poweramp.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 25, 2011,
Quote by skralan

I love the ROLAND JC but its pretty colored for it. Ultra clean, but has a clinical brightness that will make the pod sound, and most distortions come out as fizzy and harsh. I know, I have tried it.

You need something with a thick but also pristine channel.
wow thanks for all the input guys!

i think i'm gonna pass on getting a poweramp.. too expensive, besides i want a fairly compact rig... my guitar, my pod and the amp should be enough to rock out

as for the amp itself, my budget is about 500-700 bucks. I live in australia n gear is pretty expensive than the US. So i'll prolly get the amp from ebay US... my pod cost me 300 dollars cheap coz i got it shipped from an ebay seller in the united states

so i'm gonna go check out some amps in Melbourne this week..
a few that i wanna look out for are:

1. Fender Hot rod 3 (40Wt) or Deluxe Vintage Modified 40 - more than anything else, love the vintage styling! wish i could afford a deluxe reverb or somethn

2. Blackstar HT Club 40 - can anyone who has a blackstar amp shed light on the clean tones...?
i didn't like the cleans on the ht 20 i tried once, but i didn't have my pod then.. maybe it'll sound better with the pod? :/ the reason im considering this is i prefer amp dist to the pod when recording

3. Peavey 6505+ (60Watt) based on the legendary 5150 if im not mistaken... only it's too heavy cheaper than the other two though
Quote by ArSeNiK
I live in australia n gear is pretty expensive than the US. So i'll prolly get the amp from ebay US...

As a fellow aussie I feel your pain dude, but be aware that if you get an amp online from the states you are going to need a power converter to step our 240v mains power down to the 120v that an amp made for north america will use. It's not that big a deal, you can get one from Dick Smith or Jaycar easily enough but it pays to know what you're getting yourself into
Last edited by Waylanderau at Mar 27, 2011,
Quote by Waylanderau
As a fellow aussie I feel your pain dude, but be aware that if you get an amp online from the states you are going to need a power converter to step our 240v mains power down to the 120v that an amp made for north america will use. It's not that big a deal, you can get one from Dick Smith or Jaycar easily enough but it pays to know what you're getting yourself into

oh yeah forgot about that..! luckily enough the pods now come with universal adaptors... :P
thanks bruv

Quote by AxSilentxLine
I would look at getting a decent power amp to run your HD500 through like a Carvin TS100. Heaps of head room and excellent sound for the price.

The TS100 would probably cost a lot.. as much as my budget! :P
im really not that pro yet anyways, and i want a tube amp... nothing complicated

but being relatively new to proaudio lingo, could u tell me what u mean by heaps of headroom?
Quote by ArSeNiK
oh yeah forgot about that..! luckily enough the pods now come with universal adaptors... :P
thanks bruv

im really not that pro yet anyways, and i want a tube amp... nothing complicated

but being relatively new to proaudio lingo, could u tell me what u mean by heaps of headroom?

If you're using the amp models in the HD500 you want a nice clean power amp with headroom (headroom is how hard you can push it before you get tube breakup). The TS100 has a lot of headroom which makes it great as a studio reference amp and a metal power amp.
Quote by ArSeNiK
thanks bruv

The more headroom a tube amp has, the louder you have to turn it up to get some tube-saturation goodness.
Ibanez: RGD2127Z
Ibanez: RG1527
Ibanez: RG1570
Ibanez: S7420
Ibanez: JS100
Dean: Razorback Cemetery Gates
Peavey: 6505+
Fractal Audio: Axe FX II mark 2
Mesa Boogie: Recto 4x12

7>6! Join the 7-string legion!
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Fixed

Well, some people LIKE tube-saturation... AC/DC for instance....

Quote by Hell Kaiser Ryo
Well, some people LIKE tube-saturation... AC/DC for instance....

AC/DC didn't use modeling systems though. A modeling preamp that is mimicking tube saturated distortion into an even more tube saturated and distorted poweramp is just going to turn into all saturation, no attack or crispness. Aka, perfect mud tone. With a modeling preamp, you really want to go with a tube poweramp that won't overly saturate and distort. In this situation, less is more.

But hey, if you like the tone of flaming poop, be my guest.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Blick71
AC/DC didn't use modeling systems though. A modeling preamp that is mimicking tube saturated distortion into an even more tube saturated and distorted poweramp is just going to turn into all saturation, no attack or crispness. Aka, perfect mud tone. With a modeling preamp, you really want to go with a tube poweramp that won't overly saturate and distort. In this situation, less is more.

A high end solid state would be leagues and bounds more precise. and clean sounding
Quote by nyandres
A high end solid state would be leagues and bounds more precise. and clean sounding

Ehh, probably more clean and precise, but I think they are a little too sterile. I've just had a little better success with flatline tube poweramps. Just enough coloration for my taste but without the excessive saturation.

To each his own though.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Blick71

I was actually talking about a full-valve amp ._. Sorry if I caused any confusion

Quote by Hell Kaiser Ryo
I was actually talking about a full-valve amp ._. Sorry if I caused any confusion

that makes sense now. I was thinking of someone placing a mesa dual recto sim in front of a mesa 20/20 cranked.
nah just want a full fledged tube amp... in the range of 500-700... maybe a fender hot rod iii...
it should sound pretty cool through the fx loop...
coz my favorite HD amp model from the pod is the "blackface lux" which is modelled on the 65 fender reverb
Quote by ArSeNiK
wow thanks for all the input guys!

i think i'm gonna pass on getting a poweramp.. too expensive, besides i want a fairly compact rig... my guitar, my pod and the amp should be enough to rock out

as for the amp itself, my budget is about 500-700 bucks. I live in australia n gear is pretty expensive than the US. So i'll prolly get the amp from ebay US... my pod cost me 300 dollars cheap coz i got it shipped from an ebay seller in the united states

so i'm gonna go check out some amps in Melbourne this week..
a few that i wanna look out for are:

1. Fender Hot rod 3 (40Wt) or Deluxe Vintage Modified 40 - more than anything else, love the vintage styling! wish i could afford a deluxe reverb or somethn

2. Blackstar HT Club 40 - can anyone who has a blackstar amp shed light on the clean tones...?
i didn't like the cleans on the ht 20 i tried once, but i didn't have my pod then.. maybe it'll sound better with the pod? :/ the reason im considering this is i prefer amp dist to the pod when recording

3. Peavey 6505+ (60Watt) based on the legendary 5150 if im not mistaken... only it's too heavy cheaper than the other two though

I actually own the 6505+ head, and I run my POD X3Live through the effects return when practicing at home. With some tweaking I think I've got it sounding pretty good. Live though I still use my Peavey, but I am planning to incorporate the 4CM sometime in the future when I get the extra time at the jam spot to really play with it and get all the settings right.
I tried one time and just used the POD in the loop for our jam, and beleive it or not it came out sounding pretty sweet, so this could def be an option for you.
Quote by suffersystem
I actually own the 6505+ head, and I run my POD X3Live through the effects return when practicing at home. With some tweaking I think I've got it sounding pretty good. Live though I still use my Peavey, but I am planning to incorporate the 4CM sometime in the future when I get the extra time at the jam spot to really play with it and get all the settings right.
I tried one time and just used the POD in the loop for our jam, and beleive it or not it came out sounding pretty sweet, so this could def be an option for you.

awesome..! do you have any youtube videos with that rig?
and does the amp sound good when it isn't cranked up??

and how's the distortion on the amp?? is it good for metal (like Opeth, messhugah :P )

sorry for so many questions!
ok so i was doing some research and came upon something called the ZT Lunchbox... it's a fairly small solid state amp but is 200 watts :O and allegedly very loud....

so my question here is,
If i am to buy the ZT Lunchbox (about $300) and also a Blackstar HT 5 or HT 20,
is there any way to use both of them in series so that i can get the preamp sound of the blackstar, and use the ZT as a power amp/cab ?????
Quote by ArSeNiK
ok so i was doing some research and came upon something called the ZT Lunchbox... it's a fairly small solid state amp but is 200 watts :O and allegedly very loud....

so my question here is,
If i am to buy the ZT Lunchbox (about $300) and also a Blackstar HT 5 or HT 20,
is there any way to use both of them in series so that i can get the preamp sound of the blackstar, and use the ZT as a power amp/cab ?????

no, the reason being that the only input on the zt is the main input. If you were to send an already amplified signal into the main input, it could effectively blow trannys and the like. Good idea, but itd more than likely mean a broken zt.
Page 1 of 2