okay i looked through all around the net trying to find a comparison for it. but nothing comes up. so if for some reason you got both of these guitars can guys you tell me their differences besides the extra pickup?

I know what kind of sound i want from both of these guitars but can you guys tell me their differences?
There's not a lot of difference. The LP Standard is the same guitar as the Custom and Black Beauty, just with chrome hardware and different finishes.
Apart from appearance, there's not much difference.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
There's not a lot of difference. The LP Standard is the same guitar as the Custom and Black Beauty, just with chrome hardware and different finishes.

Sorry, that's just wrong !

While all Les Pauls share common design features, the Les Paul Custom differed from the Les Paul Standard in that it's body was solid Mahogany without a Maple cap. Epiphone's LP Custom follows that tradition by using a solid, carved Mahogany body giving it a slightly mellower tone. Like the originals, attached to the body is a solid Mahogany neck with a hand-fitted, glued-in joint for optimum neck-to-body contact and acting almost like one continuous piece of wood. The neck features a very comfortable and fast "SlimTaper(tm)" neck profile that has become the most popular profile found on Les Pauls today. The result is a tribute to Les' timeless guitar design with the sound and feel that you can only get from a real Les Paul.

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1997

the Epi Black Beauty has a major flaw In my opinion...the 3rd pickup is NOT wired to be by itself(unless i got a borked one from the factory!)...in the middle pickup you are using the center pickup + the bridge pickup and it has a similar effect to one of the "out of phase" pickup selections on a strat(such as bridge + middle on a strat). currently i have the middle pickup disabled on my black beauty and had it rewired with classic 57s and wired like a regular two humbucker pickup LP. That middle position was very muddy and rarely cut through in the mix so i always ended having to use either neck or bridge only. The Gibson Black Beauty however i think had several options with the knobs(push/pull stuff etc) to change how the middle pickup was used...the Epi version does not.
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Mar 24, 2011,
Yeah the middle pickup on the Epi version of the Black Beauty is always on. That means you can't get the standard Les Paul tones easily, you have to roll down the middle pickup's volume control in addition to flicking the toggle switch just to get the neck or bridge pickup by itself and you only get a master tone. If you're really into jazz or old school blues then this isn't such a problem but for anything else, even just regular 60s blues onwards, it's going to kind of screw you.

The all-mahogany/mahogany and maple cap difference isn't all that much, especially on Epiphones which hardly use top-grade wood to begin with. The main difference between the Custom and the Standard is just that the Custom looks nicer when it's new but quickly wears down and looks like crap. The Standard looks the same for pretty much forever since chrome hardware doesn't wear down like fake gold hardware does and the white version of the Custom will also discolour after a couple of years.

Save money, get the Standard.
wow thanks guys for your suggestions! anyways i just wanna know if i take out the pickguard from a black standard do you guys think it'll look nice?

And base on all of your suggestions i'll go with the standard
You can take it off. My LP looks great without it.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
Quote by paruwi

epiphone les paul standards have a thin maple veneer that doesn't contribute much to the tone.. last time i checked, anyway. because it is maple they are allowed to pretend it's a real maple top and not just a veneer.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
epiphone les paul standards have a thin maple veneer that doesn't contribute much to the tone.. last time i checked, anyway. because it is maple they are allowed to pretend it's a real maple top and not just a veneer.

.....and have a maple cap below the veneer, which the customs don't have...

a veneer doesn't affect tone - the maple cap does

While all Les Pauls share common design features, the Les Paul Custom differed from the Les Paul Standard in that it's body was solid Mahogany without a Maple cap. Epiphone's LP Custom follows that tradition by using a solid, carved Mahogany body giving it a slightly mellower tone. Like the originals, attached to the body is a solid Mahogany neck with a hand-fitted, glued-in joint for optimum neck-to-body contact and acting almost like one continuous piece of wood. The neck features a very comfortable and fast "SlimTaper(tm)" neck profile that has become the most popular profile found on Les Pauls today. The result is a tribute to Les' timeless guitar design with the sound and feel that you can only get from a real Les Paul.
Quote by paruwi
.....and have a maple cap below the veneer, which the customs don't have...

a veneer doesn't affect tone - the maple cap does

And why the hell should they put a maple veneer on it, if it already had a maple cap?
Quote by JesusCrisp
And why the hell should they put a maple veneer on it, if it already had a maple cap?

Multi-piece maple

If you've ever seen a sanded LP standard - you would probably know

They do it just like other brands do it....

Quote by nickdohle
Epi Lp standards do not have maple caps

Than the company is wrong - and you are right

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1908

Solid Mahogany Body/Maple Top: The Epiphone Les Paul Standard features a Solid Mahogany Body and Maple Top that deliver the classic tone and sustain that can only come from a "real" Les Paul.

I'm quite sure they know that tone doesn't come from a veneer
I would go for a standard. For me having a center pickup especially on a Les Paul spells big trouble for my picking hand.
Quote by nickdohle
Well it contradicts the sites that sell them. My Epi is to dark to have a maple cap. But maybe it does. Who knows.

most epiphone les pauls are darker sounding than my LP studio faded which has a mahogany cap and no veneer or anything like that.

i'm pretty sure there's some kind of loophole somewhere that means epiphone can call a maple veneer a "maple cap" as much as they want even if it is just a veneer. there is a certain extent at which you can get away with bending the truth.

of course, since they moved to their own factory in qingdao they might've changed things, my knowledge of epiphone specs is about 5 years out of date

no matter, the difference in quality between the standard and the custom is nonexistent and if the standards do have maple caps now that's probably beneficial given the overly dark, boomy sound that epiphone les pauls produce, it certainly would help give them some more clarity...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
of course, since they moved to their own factory in qingdao they might've changed things, my knowledge of epiphone specs is about 5 years out of date

The links I've posted are from July and December 2010...............