Hello!
I have made a very similar thread last week but this time it's for the Blues Jr.

I would like to know if there is a big gap between a Fender FM212R (solidstate amp) and a Fender Blues Jr. (15w tube).

Because I don't have a ear for the tone it seems, so I was wondering if it was worth it.

Thanks!
major difference.

get the blues Jr.

you won't regret it.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
There is a huge difference. I've played both extensively. The Blues Jr is awesome. The FM212 sucks.

there

BTW - the Blues Jr will be just as loud. It is a loud amp. Don't let the 15w fool you. The only time I'd rec the FM212 in this case is if you play mainly Jazz or really high gain metal and are using a MFX pedalboard or something.

What kind of music do you play and are you strictly down to buying 1 of these 2 amps or are you open to other things?

Edit: sorry Darkflame. I owned a FM212 and used a MFX pedal and it was OK - but not tone worthy.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 24, 2011,
I already have the 212R, and I'm planning on buying the Blues Jr. but I'm a bit scared that the difference would not be significant! (But you kinda convinced me!)

I play Interpol, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, David Bowie...
Quote by alans056
I already have the 212R, and I'm planning on buying the Blues Jr. but I'm a bit scared that the difference would not be significant! (But you kinda convinced me!)

I play Interpol, The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, David Bowie...

It'll be a massive difference not just in terms of the sound which will be far more organic and rich, but also in terms of how the amp will respond to things like picking dynamics. It's a good choice for replicating the raw, raunchy tones of the bands you've listed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Edit: sorry Darkflame. I owned a FM212 and used a MFX pedal and it was OK - but not tone worthy.

no worries, I am very aware that I'm one of the very rare persons to like the Frontman :P
the thing is, I find the blues JR, just like the hot rod deluxe and every modern production Fender amp I've played, to be VERY bright. It is a good amp, but I like dark tones. I actually scoop the mids on my Twin when I gig (and I don't use much distortion)
I like the frontman because it sounds kind of dirty, it's sterile but I like its sterileness, it's very far from being versatile though, it's not a clean sound that will sound good for everything

EDIT: have to say though, saying this makes me sound like a huge fender know-it-all, but I haven't played that many of them xD as far as I remember, the blues JR kind of sounded like a low-wattage hot rod deluxe
Last edited by Darkflame at Mar 24, 2011,
the tweed ones sound better.

not really but they look a shitton better.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Meh. Super Sonic and Vibro King blow the Blues Jr out of the water but they cost more. The Blues Jr is a definite improvement over the FM212 though I'll agree with Darkflame it's a bit bright. It needs a speaker swap or even a cab swap to sound its best. It's a bit boxy and thin though not that bad once you have it up to gigging volumes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Current Fender productions do sound amazing with some modding though
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Yeah, no, I'm not going to change speaker let alone the cab xD I buy it as it is... But yeah sounds good from what you tell me!
The speaker change is almost necessary IMO. I put the original back in before I sold mine and it was noticeably thinner and boxier than with the Greenback I had in there. Of course, it was still much better than my Frontman but nowhere near as good as it could sound. I'd especially recommend the speaker change if you only play at low volumes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ugh, I HATE going tp buying cool stuff and then read that "you should upgrade this, change that"...

And let me guess, a good speaker costs more than 100€ right ? No way I'm spending money on upgrading something that is already supposed to be AWESOME.
It's not supposed to be awesome. It's a low-mid range tube amp made in Mexico. It's supposed to be passable. I sold my Greenback for $50 when I quite using it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Well to me it is, if The Strokes use it, that's all I need to know!

I might look into a new speaker someday
Quote by mmolteratx
It's not supposed to be awesome. It's a low-mid range tube amp made in Mexico. It's supposed to be passable. I sold my Greenback for $50 when I quite using it.

^ This

This is exactly what I was going to say Alan. Listen to Matt. The speaker is its only limitation (true for lots of lower end amps)

PS: Yes, the SuperSonic is awesome - forgot about that one Matt
I had a 212r now I have a super sonic. it is the best product that i think fender offers right now.

and anyone who is familar with them can verify the burn channel on the super sonic is epic once you dial it in. its got 5 knobs so desired tones are easy to find.

I personally never liked the blues jr. i have heard some modded ones that are killer though.
buy the Jr. now, and don't replace the speaker if you like its current sound. I was very happy with my HRD until i got my Twin Reverb. With my speaker change and different eqing, it sounds a heck of a lot better
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by alans056
Because I don't have a ear for the tone it seems, so I was wondering if it was worth it.

Thanks!

yeah then that speaker issue may not be an issue for some time then.

later on if it's an issue, find a decent replacement speaker.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Don't worry, it will sound fine for your styles. If you say you don't have a good ear for tone, then the difference will be enough without the speaker swap. Later on, you might feel like it could be better and that's when the speaker swap will come into play. By then, instead of buying another amp, you could take the time to do a much cheaper speaker swap. I digress, that's farther down the line though. I played both version of the Blues jr. and it was definitely nice for a low priced tube amp. It had to have the volume up for the best sound, but then it was a cool sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5