I have a problem that I'd like solved.

In November, I was walking down the road and got hit by a car from behind (from a 55 mph zone to a 35mph zone). The sheriff on the scene was completely biased as I think she knew the person that hit me. The guy got no citation or anything else. wasn't drug tested. nothing.

In accordance with the report, the guys says he hit me at 20 mph. I call BS, because I could still hear his foot on the acelerator when I got hit and he didn't brake until after I was hit.

my question is, can someone give me a rough estimate as to how fast he was going with the possible information I can give?

I weigh 330 Lbs, but I'm 6'2 and carry it well.
I was flung 5-6 ft. from the vehicle upon the driver hitting brakes.

How much speed and force would that take to do throw a person like me that far?

Serious responses only please. Will be willing to give more info if needed.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to hit a pedestrian with a car even at 20 mph. Why are you just bringing this up now if it was in November?
So, in useable units, that makes your mass approximately 150kg and means you were flung between 1.5 and 1.8 meters, with the guy claiming he hit you at 32.2 km/h, which would be about 53.7 m/s.

And what SG Dave said. Any idea what model car it was? We need its mass as well.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
I'd say a normal car including driver weighs about 1200 kg, that's enough to not really have any impact on the hit with something as light as a person. 5-6 feet, that's 150 to 180 cm, thereabouts. I'd say you were flung forward with about 10 mph. Collisions with that sort of speed usually have an about 3:1 ratio between vehicle speed and hit object speed. I'd say the car drove about 30 mph.
If I'm high, does that make me a Flying Dutchman?

Legal weed, windmills, clogs, and speed cameras. Welcome to the Netherlands!
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Over 9000 mph

Oh, and a serious response - if this happened in November of last year, the statue of limitations is past for any legal action. Sorry.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by MAC2322
So, in useable units, that makes your mass approximately 150kg and means you were flung between 1.5 and 1.8 meters, with the guy claiming he hit you at 32.2 km/h, which would be about 53.7 m/s.

And what SG Dave said. Any idea what model car it was? We need its mass as well.

The model of the car was a 2004 Toyota Celica.

Quote by zdh
I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to hit a pedestrian with a car even at 20 mph. Why are you just bringing this up now if it was in November?

Have had a lot of healing to deal with.

Last edited by kurt_cobain9 at Mar 24, 2011,
inb4 the pit physicists apply the material point model to an incredibly complicated problem.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Curb weight of one of those is 1100 kg, that means including american driver it weighs about 1400 kg. My bad.

edit @ above: 1800 kg is quite a LOT. A 65 Buick Riviera weighs in at about 1900 kg, and that's more of a boat than a car.

Last edited by McGryphon at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by kurt_cobain9
The model of the car was a 2004 Toyota Celica.

According to wikipedia, that would make its mass about 1,100 kg, not including the driver.

EDIT: What ^ said.
Quote by MAC2322

Hahaha in "useable units" Metric System FTW
Quote by MAC2322

It's not as simple as that.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
It's not as simple as that.

I'm well aware, but that's what we have to work with. If only real physics was as simple as the formulas are.
That's why what I said isn't calculated'it's extrapolated from my own experiences.

Quote by McGryphon
Curb weight of one of those is 1100 kg, that means including american driver it weighs about 1400 kg. My bad.

Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by MAC2322

32.2 (km / hr) = 8.94444444 m / s

Also, without knowing the compression ratios of the material and whatnot, you won't get a meaningful result. Assuming that the car took no energy into deformation, and assuming 1200kg for car mass, that you skidded a bit and using an average value of the concrete friction as .3, I'm getting that he couldn't have been going much more than 25mph.

So if you assume that there was some deformation, you are looking at about 30mph.
Really really rough estimate.
Quote by ZanasCross

Also, without knowing the compression ratios of the material and whatnot, you won't get a meaningful result. Assuming that the car took no energy into deformation, and assuming 1200kg for car mass, that you skidded a bit and using an average value of the concrete friction as .3, I'm getting that he couldn't have been going much more than 25mph.

So if you assume that there was some deformation, you are looking at about 30mph.

How the dick did I miss the mark by that much? I guess I'm out of practice
My calculations say you'd have travelled 4462 metres if you got hit at 20 mph.
That's not taking into account the lift off of the floor, or the decelleration you undertake.

Someone can check my maths if they want.

150kg X (TS Speed)= 1200kg X 44.7 (speed of car in Metres per Second)
So TS' speed would have been 160mph when he rebounded off the car.
Distance travelled = 357 metres per second X 5 (seconds travelling) / 2
4462 metres which is about 1500 feet

I think my maths is off here. I haven't done mechanics in a long time.

Edit: I can't be bothered to take this to pen and paper, so i'd use someone elses guesstimate.
Last edited by SG_dave at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by SG_dave
My calculations say you'd have travelled 4462 metres if you got hit at 20 mph.

Looks like our physics isn't too good today.
Quote by ZanasCross

at any rate, that is much faster than he "thought" he was going. When the sheriff asked me my estimate, this is what I figured he was going. between 25-30MPH. The guy said he thought he was going 15-20 mph. I had to call BS on that.

Quote by kurt_cobain9
I have a problem that I'd like solved.

In November, I was walking down the road and got hit by a car from behind (from a 55 mph zone to a 35mph zone). The sheriff on the scene was completely biased as I think she knew the person that hit me. The guy got no citation or anything else. wasn't drug tested. nothing.

In accordance with the report, the guys says he hit me at 20 mph. I call BS, because I could still hear his foot on the acelerator when I got hit and he didn't brake until after I was hit.

I weigh 330 Lbs, but I'm 6'2 and carry it well.
I was flung 5-6 ft. from the vehicle upon the driver hitting brakes.

How much speed and force would that take to do throw a person like me that far?/B]

I'm not too good with physics, I prefer chem and bio (MED SCHOOL FTW)

So we're looking for speed of the force hitting you? To even move you it would have to be 3300 N, supposing friction with the ground is not taken into account.

For something to throw you six feet I'm not really sure... but I think it would be 6 ft/s (that's to move you 6ft in 1 second) + the force required to move you... which is already 24.6 mph + the force required to move you in the first place
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by SG_dave
I've just spent all day ****ing about with radioactive decay, i really can't be bothered to model a mechanics eqaution properly.

either way, I appreciate the effort.

I think Zanas summed it up, there's not enough information to really make an educated answer.

But I prefer SG_Dave's answer.
Quote by ZanasCross

This is about as close as you'll get. So the guy was doing around 25. Maybe even 20. I can tell you with certainty that if he was going much above 30 you would not have survived it and the damage to his vehicle would have been extensive.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
How fast were you walking? I assume you were walking in the same direction as the car, and then got hit in the back?
Quote by kurt_cobain9
Serious responses only please.

Welcome to the pit
████████████
████████████
████████████

RNLAF

I Like Planes
Quote by vagelier
How fast were you walking? I assume you were walking in the same direction as the car, and then got hit in the back?

I was just walking normally. 2-3 mph? I was taking my time.

and you assume correct.

Quote by Gammas1
Welcome to the pit

practically impossible to get. lol

i may be super off because we dont have the measurements but i calculated you would leave the car around 7 m/s at the speed he says he hit you at.

take this with a grain of salt..
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
Thank you, everyone who helped me with this. Much appreciated.

I'd say 25-30ish. At 20mph you won't go flying that much. Much more than 30 would probably be quite lethal, if only because he would run you over rather than hit you in most cases.
[/beentheredonethat(not running over, just being run over)]