Hello all,

I am getting back into playing after a break and decided I need a new amp since all I've been using are small modeling amps.

Some basic info:

I play classic rock/classic metal or trash (Megadeth, Metallica, David Gilmore, Marty Friedman, etc).
I'm looking for a combo, I don't have the space or cash for a head and cab.
My budget is about $800, but I can push it if need be.
Will be running it through Gibson guitars, one with EMG's, and some effect pedals.

Was looking at a Peavey 6505+, which I got to try for a bit at a Guitar Center and was pretty impressed by the tone. But after some research it seems that amp would be more suited for a metalcore sound which isn't really my style, and that the cleans aren't as good. I'm more concerned about the distortion since I use that more and I can use some pedals to improve the clean sound.

Overall, I would like to hear others opinions on this amp and if it will fit my style, or if there is another amp in my (limited) price range that would better suit my needs.

Thanks!
Last edited by Brob556 at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by Brob556
Hello all,

I am getting back into playing after a break and decided I need a new amp since all I've been using are small modeling amps.

Some basic info:

I play classic rock/classic metal or trash (Megadeth, Metallica, David Gilmore, Marty Friedman, etc).
I'm looking for a combo, I don't have the space or cash for a head and cab.
My budget is about $800, but I can push it if need be.
Will be running it through Gibson guitars, one with EMG's, and some effect pedals.

Was looking at a Peavey 6505+, which I got to try for a bit at a Guitar Center and was pretty impressed by the tone. But after some research it seems that amp would be more suited for a metalcore sound which isn't really my style, and that the cleans aren't as good. I'm more concerned about the distortion since I use that more and I can use some pedals to improve the clean sound.

Overall, I would like to hear others opinions on this amp and if it will fit my style, or if there is another amp in my (limited) price range that would better suit my needs.

Thanks!

Don't rely on what you read; trust your ear. I love the 5150 for it's distortion sound (but then again, I play metalcore) but EVH used it for his music (not metalcore). The only thing that might turn you away from it is the cleans. They are just so-so. But also look in some Mesas. You can find them used within your price range. Or if you're looking to save some money, I would highly suggest Bugera. They might not be made with as "high quality" components but they sound great especially for the price. They have very useable distortion tones and the best cleans I've ever heard (I'm not much of a Fender guy)
I hate my sig
i'd say judge the cleans yourself. with anything but the actives it should be fine. i didn't think they were as bad as others say tbh.

other things to look at if you are only considering new amps would be the blackstar ht40 and jet city 50 watt.

used options vary by location if you are ok with buying used.
I tried out that 6505+ 1x12 combo and was not that big of a fan...the head though is a completely different story. The Bugera 333xl combo was pretty impressive. If you go for the Bugera it might be good to make sure its biased correctly and everything is set up right.
Twitter

LTD EC-1000 (Vintage Black)
Schecter Damien-FR
Crate Flexwave 120W

INDECISIVE AMP FUND: $500/$
Quote by gregs1020
i'd say judge the cleans yourself. with anything but the actives it should be fine. i didn't think they were as bad as others say tbh.

other things to look at if you are only considering new amps would be the blackstar ht40 and jet city 50 watt.

used options vary by location if you are ok with buying used.

I feel like I'm the only one but I didn't really like Jet City. My friend got one, it didn't work right out of the box, got it replaced, had a hard time finding a decent tone and a few months later it broke again. But everyone else seems to love them. I have heard people get good tones out of them, just didn't like them personally
I hate my sig
Quote by QuantumMechanix
I feel like I'm the only one but I didn't really like Jet City. My friend got one, it didn't work right out of the box, got it replaced, had a hard time finding a decent tone and a few months later it broke again. But everyone else seems to love them. I have heard people get good tones out of them, just didn't like them personally

i didn't like the 20 at all, but the 50 i did. there isn't much in that price point that's decent.

used is another story if that's an option.
Thanks for the input everyone!

Quote by pto654
I tried out that 6505+ 1x12 combo and was not that big of a fan...the head though is a completely different story.

Now that you mentioned it, I played the head, NOT the combo. Does anyone have experience with both? And does the combo differ?
Last edited by Brob556 at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by Brob556
Thanks for the input everyone!

Not that you mentioned it, I played the head, NOT the combo. Does anyone have experience with both? And does the combo differ?

I haven't tried the combo, but I've hearn mixed reviews. I play through the head all the time and it sounds great. I'd definitely recommend it
I hate my sig