i really want an od pedal but im not sure which one is the best.
i was thinking an ibanez ts9, a mxr zakk wylde overdrive or the boss sd-1

which is the best? are there any other suggestions with the price of under $150?

also, should I get dimarzio cables?
i use the Digitech CM-2 Tube Overdrive as it is very versatile. you cn use it as a boost or use the 2 diffferent ovderdrive setting to up the gain and it has a really good EQ system.
I don't think you could ever go wrong with a ts9 but in the end it all depends on how you play, the sound you want, your gear etc.....try them all out side by side and let your ears be the judge. hope that helps
I have maxon OD9 Pro Plus. It's basically a ts808 with a bit more versatility. I got it for $110 used. They're not overly common, but if you see one on CL it's worth checking out.
I use the TS9 and its awesome! It really tightens up the leads and gives me a great volume boost. I also have a Boss Blues Driver which is very simular to the TS9 and I use that one for different songs. I would not use the Boss SD-1 for a overdrive because it's a distortion pedal and should be used only on the clean channel, unless you want to replace your tubes often because it will fry them fast on the overdrive channel. Hope this helped.
Quote by MaXiMuse
It seems like we get this question every week!

That's because we do.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Save a lityle more and get an xotic fx ac booster or bb preamp pedal
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Do you need it to boost volume or tighten up the tone? For tightening up the low end, the classic TS9 in front of the amp is the best option. For an actual volume boost, you'd want something transparent in the FX loop. Something like the CAL MK 4.23, Xotic RC booster, ZVex SHO, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I would suggest you a Visual Sound pedal. Extremely reliable and The Strokes use them.

Jekyll and Hyde (OD and Distortion)
Route 66 (OD and Compression)
or Route 808 (OD with bass boost switch)
Quote by jlaflamme
I use the TS9 and its awesome! It really tightens up the leads and gives me a great volume boost. I also have a Boss Blues Driver which is very simular to the TS9 and I use that one for different songs. I would not use the Boss SD-1 for a overdrive because it's a distortion pedal and should be used only on the clean channel, unless you want to replace your tubes often because it will fry them fast on the overdrive channel. Hope this helped.

Fail. fail. fail.

The SD1 is not a distortion pedal. In fact it is a great overdrive pedal that works great for boosting the front end of an amp for leads. Has just enough bass cut, compression, mid range and clean boost to give you a nice screaming lead sound, and it will not color your tone all that much either. Its also a good pedal for boosting rythyms as well.

And on top of everything else youll save a few bucks whether you go new or used.
Didn't even see that. The SD-1 is almost exactly the same circuit as the TS. The TS was Ibanez's rip off of the SD-1 with a few different values. The idea of it somehow eating tubes is hilarious too.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Try the MXR (custom audio electronics MC-401) boost pedal. Its $100 on GC and very easy to use as a clean/volume boost
i have a ts9 and a fulltone OCD, and i use both for different things. i boost my rhythm with the ts9 because i use that a lot of my playing, unless im the only one on uguitar for a song. its more transparent(to me) and middy, so i cut more mid now , and i use the ocd on my lead channel because i think it makes that channel thicker and meatier and i can use less gain.
plus using two ods and two channels songs sound different, and i like that :]
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by forsaknazrael
ಠ_ಠ

If you can find a Version 1 Danelectro Transparent Overdrive, great pedal for boosting a lead. It's a clone of the venerable Paul Cochrane Timmy. I used to use one all the time. Actually, I'm looking to sell it.

-_0
Check out the Jet City Afterburner Overdrive. I picked one up a few weeks ago.

I keep it on all the time to keep everything tight, then hit the boost when I need to for leads.
Quote by TheCalvinator
Fail. fail. fail.

The SD1 is not a distortion pedal. In fact it is a great overdrive pedal that works great for boosting the front end of an amp for leads. Has just enough bass cut, compression, mid range and clean boost to give you a nice screaming lead sound, and it will not color your tone all that much either. Its also a good pedal for boosting rythyms as well.

And on top of everything else youll save a few bucks whether you go new or used.

SD-1 stands for SUPER DISTORTION! Obviously your are someone who has no clue! LOL
Quote by forsaknazrael
LOL do you even know the difference between a distortion and an overdrive?
a distortion uses diodes for clipping, often times.
an overdrive often uses diodes for clipping.

wait. that's like the same thing! LOL

I would check out a MXR 10-band EQ. Great for a gain boost and lead tone shaping.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Boss SUPER OverDrive SD-1 Pedal
is what its called
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I like the sd-1 alot and its pretty close to a tubescreamer. I reccomend it if you want to spend as little as possible, you can get them for as low as $25 used
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by forsaknazrael
LOL do you even know the difference between a distortion and an overdrive?
a distortion uses diodes for clipping, often times.
an overdrive often uses diodes for clipping.

wait. that's like the same thing! LOL

All I'm saying is that there is a difference between a distortion and overdrive pedal. I used to have a SD1 a few years back and used it on my gain channel and it kept frying tubes. I brought the amp (Marshall) to a tech and he said to use a overdrive pedal like a TS instead of the SD1 because it was overpushing the tubes.
Nope, the SD1 IS a Tube Screamer. Your tech is retarded. Both circuit do NOT have that much gain to them....

The difference between an overdrive and a distortion is in how they are voiced. Generally, distortion pedals can completely change your voicing.
What if I told you that a Proco RAT is just a stone's throw away from a Fulltone OCD?
Or if I actually showed you the circuit topology for a SD1 and a TS808?

It's okay to be wrong.
Quote by jlaflamme
All I'm saying is that there is a difference between a distortion and overdrive pedal. I used to have a SD1 a few years back and used it on my gain channel and it kept frying tubes. I brought the amp (Marshall) to a tech and he said to use a overdrive pedal like a TS instead of the SD1 because it was overpushing the tubes.

lawl
Quote by jlaflamme

Th' ****? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Especially since the SD-1 and TS might as well be the same pedal.

But Jon already has that covered.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nope, the SD1 IS a Tube Screamer. Your tech is retarded. Both circuit do NOT have that much gain to them....

The difference between an overdrive and a distortion is in how they are voiced. Generally, distortion pedals can completely change your voicing.
What if I told you that a Proco RAT is just a stone's throw away from a Fulltone OCD?
Or if I actually showed you the circuit topology for a SD1 and a TS808?

It's okay to be wrong.

Won't be the last time I'm wrong! But they sound totaly different to me. Thanks