so awhile ago i bought a behringer guitar link just for the heck of to try out vst's. it sounds like absolute ballsack. it has lag and is digital and just sounds like crap. if i purchase a better interface, will that be the end all solve all to my problems? i want a nice practicing tool on the go so that's why.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
Quote by natehimself
so awhile ago i bought a behringer guitar link just for the heck of to try out vst's. it sounds like absolute ballsack. it has lag and is digital and just sounds like crap. if i purchase a better interface, will that be the end all solve all to my problems? i want a nice practicing tool on the go so that's why.

no way to get around that if you're running vst

what plugins are you using? the lag is probably the guitar link's fault but it could also be because of the computer
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I've never actually tried the Behringer guitar link, but I've tried using vsts and never had much luck. I know my friend uses the exact same one as you and gets some pretty good tones though so I know it's possible and I'm also curious about it.
I hate my sig
I'm gonna do a bit of self promoting here and show you my bands songs

clicky

All the guitars were recorded with a Line 6 Toneport UX2 and the inbuilt vsts. I'd say your either using bad vsts or that interface isn't doing you any good.

Once you get a good sound out of a vst (which can be done) it is so much easier to do than mic up an amp
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHad_3j5rRM

this guy gets awesome tones out of revalver. i know it's possible to get really good sound out of vst's...i'm just curious as to how. there has to be something that's different..?

also...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHad_3j5rRM

sounds pretty damn good.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
well what don't you like about the tone your getting?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
well what don't you like about the tone your getting?

it sounds thin, the highs sound incredibly digital, it lags, it's not punchy/real enough, etc.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by natehimself
it sounds thin, the highs sound incredibly digital, it lags, it's not punchy/real enough, etc.

well, make sure it'd not clipping, also make sure your using a Cab impulse. just the raw amp will sound like shit.

as far as the lag, download the latest driver, or try to find a ASIO driver for lowest lag.

Alot of guys using the mic input on thier PC's to do VST recording. You'll need a 1/8" to 1/4" converter, so you plug your guitar straight into your PC.

An interface would be your best bet tho. Here's what i get with VST amps and my M-audio Fast Track:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Gundamnitpete/music/play916393
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
well, make sure it'd not clipping, also make sure your using a Cab impulse. just the raw amp will sound like shit.

as far as the lag, download the latest driver, or try to find a ASIO driver for lowest lag.

Alot of guys using the mic input on thier PC's to do VST recording. You'll need a 1/8" to 1/4" converter, so you plug your guitar straight into your PC.

An interface would be your best bet tho. Here's what i get with VST amps and my M-audio Fast Track:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Gundamnitpete/music/play916393

i tried using impulses, but suprisingly it made it sound a little worse? and i have the asio drivers, etc. how do the line 6 interfaces sound?

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by natehimself
i tried using impulses, but suprisingly it made it sound a little worse? and i have the asio drivers, etc. how do the line 6 interfaces sound?

Half of a VST amp sim is the impulse. If the impulse made it sound worse, you did it wrong.

The raw VST is like th eline out from your amp. Ever listened to it? it sounds like shit, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x60G9C09UnE&feature=channel_video_title

In the Description he gives you links to everything you need, aside from the impulse loader itself.

google "Lecab" for an impulse loader, it's pretty good; While your there, you can pickup "Lextac" <---which happens to be my favorite VST amp sim.

Also, make sure your about 6DB away from the top of the volume gauge thingy (db meter) when recording. you want about a 6DB cut, when your HAMMERING the strings.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
the line 6 interfaces are good. I suggest a Presonus Audiobox tho. I have a fastrack pro which has low gain preamps, so i need to crank my preamp gain to get a usable signal. It made my recordings sound thin and fizzy.

I just bought a Presonus tubePRE pre-amp, and it's saved the day the fizzyness and hollowness are gone.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Half of a VST amp sim is the impulse. If the impulse made it sound worse, you did it wrong.

The raw VST is like th eline out from your amp. Ever listened to it? it sounds like shit, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x60G9C09UnE&feature=channel_video_title

In the Description he gives you links to everything you need, aside from the impulse loader itself.

google "Lecab" for an impulse loader, it's pretty good; While your there, you can pickup "Lextac" <---which happens to be my favorite VST amp sim.

Also, make sure your about 6DB away from the top of the volume gauge thingy (db meter) when recording. you want about a 6DB cut, when your HAMMERING the strings.

i have all the "lepou" vst's. i'm not new to vsts i just recently started getting into them again. (youtube videos interested me)

and i used the lecab, again it sounded mediocre at best...so are you saying basically all my sound problems are from the interface? which one is the best for the money audio quality wise?

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
even with lecab you still need quality impluses like red wires, etc. What impulses are you using with lecab?

Bad impulse with a cheap interface could spell godzilla tone disaster.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by natehimself
i have all the "lepou" vst's. i'm not new to vsts i just recently started getting into them again. (youtube videos interested me)

and i used the lecab, again it sounded mediocre at best...so are you saying basically all my sound problems are from the interface? which one is the best for the money audio quality wise?

Which impulses where you usig? what where your settings on the amp?

The best way to go about this is to load a clean file (just the guitar signal) without at impulses or amp sims. If that sounds like shit, it's your interface polly.

Like i said, i recomend the presonus Audiobox for an interface.

I use reaper to load my amp sims.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
i made a clip, this is the exact same track (copy and pasted), one totally clean with no effects or anything, just raw signal. the one after that is distorted using Solo_C and KeFIR impulse loader, with catharsis studio's Sprez-8 impulse.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8449636/tonetestVST2.mp3
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
i think your interface is holding you back. or your computer. especially if it's laggy.

dsp processing takes a lot of computer power.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
no my computer is pretty good, it has lots of CPU power. i think it might be my interface...but i'm not sure. i've looked this up a lot. lots of people say its all in the interface, and some say it makes marginal difference..

for my impulses i'm using mesa oversized impulses loaded onto "kefir" i think it is. sounds okay, but it's scratchy and fake sounding.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Last edited by natehimself at Mar 25, 2011,
if you aren't using impulses, your going to sound like shit with the best interface and preamps in the world. So you gotta use them.

Do you clean tones sound as clean as mine?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
if you aren't using impulses, your going to sound like shit with the best interface and preamps in the world. So you gotta use them.

Do you clean tones sound as clean as mine?

well actually i found some impulses and it sounds better now. but it's still in the "shit tone" category. theres lag. and it doesn't have that individual note clarity, etc.

Peavey Triple X Head
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
these VST amps are hard to dial in, you gotta EQ then differently than a normal amp.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps: