Whats up gearheads, I have a few questions about the tone quality of tube preamps compared to a full tube units

I bought my Vox AD100VT a few months ago and i love the sound, but i've never owned a full tube amp, and ive kiiind of wanted to upgrade so i can get that full tube feel when i play.

I'm by no means gigging now or any time soon, but im a real tone freak

My question is, do you think it would be worth putting another $2-300 into an amp after i sell this one?
would i be able to get a good amp & cab for 500-600?

Some sounds i play around with are high gain, SRV slightly driven tones, Hendrix tones, and rockabilly cleans.

TL;DR I have a Vox AD100VT, but i want the full tube half stack sound. Can i get a good one for $5-600 that can produce my preferred tones?
Also, preferably under 100 watts so i can get that cranked tone without blasting out my windows
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Mar 24, 2011,
hmm, i dont know i just like the look of a halfstack i guess.
is there any difference to the tone i would get from a combo?

would 5-6 bills get a good combo? :P
Quote by SKArface McDank
hmm, i dont know i just like the look of a halfstack i guess.
is there any difference to the tone i would get from a combo?

would 5-6 bills get a good combo? :P

yes. there can be a big difference.

The only half decent tube halfstack I can think of for under $600 wouls be a Peavey Windsor. And it's only single channel and the cab sucks. Look used. Craigslist might be able to get you a decent tube half stack in your pricerange
I hate my sig
5 to 600 dollars will get you a pretty nice combo amp - I think a Peavey 6505 is in that range, as well as a Vox AC15C1. And that's just the new ones - the second hand market will get you a VERY nice amp for that price.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
If I were you I would go for a peavey 5150 or 6505 112, they are loud and all tube. Not to mention fairly priced, you can find a used one for around 6-700, depends on where you are, maybe even less than that. Personally, the Vox does not compare to an all tube amp, I had the 50VT at one time and thought it was awesome until I played an all tube amp, now it is almost impossible to go back. make the leap, you won't regret it.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Mar 24, 2011,
i wish there was a bigger music gear market here in bakersfield...its horrible. guess ill start searching through coastal towns
use ebay, as long as you are using paypal it is fairly safe.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
If you like what you have, put the money away and add to it as you spend some time at your favorite music store playing all sorts of different amps, get a feel for what you like, price it out and s\\ave for it. Don't just jump on the tube train just to have all tube, especially if you like what you have. Figure out what you'll like more. i think of an expensive purchase, like an amp as an investment, not an experiment.

Good luck!
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
I recommend being open-minded to any amp in your price range whether it is tube, tube preamp, full tube or whatever. If you are a tone freak, you'll be able to tell the difference. You might find that you like something non-tube or a hybrid better than the "tube feel" or the "tube sound." Peavey did an experiment where they took a Peavey Bandit (look it up it's a 350 dollar amp) to a bunch of studio guitarists in a double blind tone test with four tube amps. They told the studio guys that one of the amps was a solid state and asked them to pick which one it was. They all picked the same amp, but it wasn't the Peavey!

Anyway it's really all about the sound you get--not the underlying technology. Check out this page for just a partial list of great, famous guitarists who have used solid-state amps including Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Johnny Greenwood, and more: http://www.frugalguitarist.com/Frugal.aspx?Issue=15&Page=Solid%20State%20Hate%20%282%29
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
TBH if you're only using preamp distortion and not cranking the piss out of it, I can't see how it would make a giant difference what your output section was.

Provided, of course, that your preamp isn't garbage.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.