Hello UG,

I am going to be buying a new guitar soon. I have some questions about what guitar with what style.

I play Radiohead, QOTSA, U2, The White Stripes, STP, ect.

I already own a SSS strat. So I would wan't something with humbucker or p90s. (but its not a must.) I would like to keep it under $500, and I can buy used.

I was thinking a tele would be great. Are the blacktop teles any good? Or the blacktop jazzmaster? And would they sound good for the bands I listed?

I was also thinking about a hollow body. I tried the grestch g5120 and was not that impressed. What about the ibanez artcore stuff? or the epiphone hollows? And will a hollow body sound good for the bands I listed?
I don't know the answers to a lot of your questions but I have a regular Tele that has a Seymour Duncan Li'l '59 pickup in the bridge, which is a humbucker in the size of a single coil. It has a really good distorted tone that is great for QOTSA, The White Stripes, Radiohead, etc. It's one of my personal favorite guitars. The Li'l '59 as you might guess, is a brother to the Seymour Duncan '59 so if you have a humbucker guitar you can put that pickup in (or some guitars come with it) and achieve a similar sound.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Maybe you could consider having your strat modded an have a humbucker placed in bridge position
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Quote by rawkandrowl
I don't know the answers to a lot of your questions but I have a regular Tele that has a Seymour Duncan Li'l '59 pickup in the bridge, which is a humbucker in the size of a single coil. It has a really good distorted tone that is great for QOTSA, The White Stripes, Radiohead, etc. It's one of my personal favorite guitars. The Li'l '59 as you might guess, is a brother to the Seymour Duncan '59 so if you have a humbucker guitar you can put that pickup in (or some guitars come with it) and achieve a similar sound.

Cool, i will check that out!

btw, was there something wrong with the way i asked the questions?
Quote by guitardWARf
Maybe you could consider having your strat modded an have a humbucker placed in bridge position

yeah, but i want my strat with single coils. I would prefer to just get another guitar.
Quote by Radiohead_u2
Cool, i will check that out!

btw, was there something wrong with the way i asked the questions?

No not at all I just didn't know the answers. I've never played the Blacktop tele or the Jazzmaster, etc. =)
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0262000520

I've got one of these and I love it, Have a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set in it and it's great, has a push pull tone pot for a coil tap or phase switch, set net with a really comfortable neck heel. Maple cap over a Mahogany body, pretty vintage cream binding on the body and fret board, weighs about 5 pounds with nice sustain, fast neck good tuners, and it's Korean made. It's rock solid. That said there is a Mexican made Swamp Ash Tele Custom that is almost exactly the same. The Neck Heel is the same design as the one developed for the Mearle Haggard Custom Shop Signature Telecaster, which I've heard is one of the reasons behind the $5K Street Price...

All that said not very Fender-ish for a Fender, but the Quality is behind it. I like to tell people it's how Fender would have made the SG...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Fender+Custom+Telecaster+FMT&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

James
I have played some of the PRS SE models and they are pretty versatile, I have always thought of them as a mix between a strat and a les paul. They are very well made.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by IronFeliks
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0262000520

I've got one of these and I love it, Have a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set in it and it's great, has a push pull tone pot for a coil tap or phase switch, set net with a really comfortable neck heel. Maple cap over a Mahogany body, pretty vintage cream binding on the body and fret board, weighs about 5 pounds with nice sustain, fast neck good tuners, and it's Korean made. It's rock solid. That said there is a Mexican made Swamp Ash Tele Custom that is almost exactly the same. The Neck Heel is the same design as the one developed for the Mearle Haggard Custom Shop Signature Telecaster, which I've heard is one of the reasons behind the $5K Street Price...

All that said not very Fender-ish for a Fender, but the Quality is behind it. I like to tell people it's how Fender would have made the SG...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Fender+Custom+Telecaster+FMT&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

James

THANK YOU!!! That is a sweet guitar!
Quote by bobafettacheese

have played some of the PRS SE models and they are pretty versatile, I have always thought of them as a mix between a strat and a les paul. They are very well made.

Yeah, i looked at that too. I am not really looking for a les paul sound. though I have not played that prs yet. I will try it out next time I go to Guitar Center.
Last edited by Radiohead_u2 at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by tmcdaniels
Telecaster is not a bad idea.

With hollowbodies and semi-hollowbodies, the guitar can feed back a lot on stage.

The telecaster sounds like a better overall match.

What kind of tele would you say to get?

Is there a way I can control the feedback on stage?