Do you guys have any tips on how to get better at playing in the standing position? I like to wear the guitar fairly low. Playing chords and simple riffs is pretty easy, but when it comes to more challenging leads and stuff, it feels wierd. It kind of feels like I'm "seperate" from the and thats what makes it so uncomfortable.

Thx.
Either raise your guitar up a little bit so that it's more comfortable playing lead, or you can prop one of your legs on something like a chair or something during solos the raise your guitar up for the solos.
Raise your guitar up. Playing with it low may look cool but if you can't perform with it that way then don't.
Don't lower you guitar to look cool if it effects your playing. Go look at how high Tom Morello plays his guitar. And he still looks badass!
Don't play with it hanging at the lowest possible height, even just raising it a few inches can make a huge difference on the difficulty of standing up!
Oh boy the great high vs low debate. My dad plays with his guitar down by his knees and calls me a grandpa for having mine just above my stomach. I'm sure you don't have to guess who is the better player.

Moral of the story is. Just raise up your strap until its comfortable.
you should keep your guitar at the same height as it would be sitting down.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Practice, Practice, Practice!! I play with mine fairly lower than it is when sitting, and I'm just as good standing. This comes from...practice! It's really odd at first, but try to always stand when you play, and get into the habit of how it feels.

But on the other hand, if you simpliy cannot play some things standing due to the guitar height, or if your back or neck is stooped unnaturally, then you may want to raise it. Poor posture can cause injury over time, and nothing's less cool than a humpbacked guitar player without his axe to lean on!
Get strap locks if you don't have. Also it's just practice, you have go get used to it
Alexi Laiho also plays up in a very comfy position and IMO it looks so much better than down at your crotch. Something about the Rhodes style guitar just looks good that way and very metal.

Edit: Was looking over google for an example and maybe not the best example because apparently live he has it low.

Though check out where he has it for downfall on youtube. (Official vid)
Last edited by Ēzio at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by Radiohead_u2
I love that you can see the TV twice.

What is this magic?

Just above my waist suits me, but it's all about the shape. I play an Explorer and they're meant to go pretty low, but a Tele looks fine riding around your nips and you can even get a Start to look good there too.
john petrucci,andy james and almost all shredders play high and ...
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Google Randy Rhodes and copy him. He has it fairly high, but more importantly he has the neck pointing up so that he can reach easily.
The question is, why are you practicing sitting down all the time anyways?

Practice like you preform.

Haven't been to many rock shows where the band is all seated.

Also you don't need to crank your strap WAY high in order to have great technique and feel comfortable. I play a bit above the hip. Have a look at Guthrie Govan playing live to get a great idea of where that sweet spot of comfort is. I used to be into having the guitar cranked up way high on my body, but I realized I was much more comfortable playing with it just a bit lower.
okay. this is what you do. throw out everyone elses ideas.

-Standup.
-what style do you play? For Blues, progressive, instrumental. Sit back down. buy a lick video and start listening to dream theatre. You may even one day make a flawless cover for the youtube. this is the arc of of your guitar playing journey. Use your college degree and find a 9 to 5.

-If you play pop,alt,rock, or the metals. keep standing.
-adjust your strap for the following. Metal gets a picking point next to your Tool. your crotch. this assures the only practice you EVER need to do is masturbation.
- For the rest raise it slightly from heaviest to poppy music. Never put the pick point much higher than belly button.
-if its uncomfortable to play at low slung positions remember you were probably taking shortcuts by sitting down making false progress with no renewable values for live situations. You need to stand up and get it done.
Play high. If your guitar is high then it is the same as sitting down. Tosin Abasi plays high.
Too high for me is bad, even up to my chest level caused nerve problems for me, but sitting down I can play anything.

When the guitar is around my belly button or a bit lower, I find it easier to play. For solos and stuff I just bend over a lot or step on something.

Too low is horrible, I can't even play when it's too low (or when it looks 'cool').
: )
Any ideas as to why someone's wrist would hurt while playing standing up? I try to play at the same level as sitting, and while i'm sitting i have no problem. Then when i stand up I immediately start to cramp. I know when i stand the guitar has a tendency tilt with the neck down. Could that be the problem?
Quote by ibugppl
Oh boy the great high vs low debate. My dad plays with his guitar down by his knees and calls me a grandpa for having mine just above my stomach. I'm sure you don't have to guess who is the better player.

Who...?
Quote by SirenOfTitan
Any ideas as to why someone's wrist would hurt while playing standing up? I try to play at the same level as sitting, and while i'm sitting i have no problem. Then when i stand up I immediately start to cramp. I know when i stand the guitar has a tendency tilt with the neck down. Could that be the problem?

Which hand? Guessing it's your fretting hand, in which case you may be bending your wrist when you're standing up. If it's your picking hand I honestly have no idea.
Ha, yeah it was my fretting hand. I actually tried moving the guitar up anyway. Now it is actually slightly higher up than when I'm sitting, but it allows me to play comfortably.