I'll be purchasing a new guitar on Wednesday, planning to get the Ibanez EGEN8, but wouldn't mind some other ideas, just incase any of you know of something more suited

(I'm assuming you can guess what kind of player I am from the guitar )
Go buy Herman Ri's geetar or he's gonna shit on your head!

Well, I would tell you to look at some other Ibanez guitars - signature guitars are almost always over priced.
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.
An older Prestige s.

Similar money, but far superior hardware.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
An older Prestige s.

This. Oh so very much.

To clarify, the EGEN8 has an Edge III bridge - the only bridge available now that you desperately want to avoid from Ibanez.
If you pit that against a regular S series with the ZR trem... Let's just say the S series comes out on top every time.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0
An older Prestige s.

Unless my googling's gone badly, it's not really similar money :P

But thank you all for the quick responses, i'll have a gadge at them
It's $800 for a guitar with the trem that most people on this forum say is terrible. (The Edge III can also be found on some sub $500 Ibanez's too if thats any indication)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/ibanez-guitars-pedals-gear-solid-body-electric-guitars?N=100001+201105+306241+12

Maybe an equivalently priced S series or RG Prestige instead?

I saw an S series on that list for the same price and the ZR trem which may be better? I'm not an Ibanez expert.

But I agree with testes, Sig guitars are usually overpriced.
Hmm

Fair points from you all, i'll take that on board, get back to you with what I end up buying Thanks again
Quote by Seddon1707
Unless my googling's gone badly, it's not really similar money :P

But thank you all for the quick responses, i'll have a gadge at them

Go 2nd hand.

You can find them for under $800 all the time. Find one with an original Edge and you have one of the best bridges ever designed and put on a guitar.

Old MIJ prestige s guitar blow the current range of Made in Indonesia/China guitars away.

For the price you pay and the spec you get. The egen is a ****ing joke.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Go 2nd hand.

You can find them for under $800 all the time. Find one with an original Edge and you have one of the best bridges ever designed and put on a guitar.

Old MIJ prestige s guitar blow the current range of Made in Indonesia/China guitars away.

For the price you pay and the spec you get. The egen is a ****ing joke.

This.
Honestly, the Egen is overpriced because its a signature model. It just isn't up to the quality of any older MIJ S (Pre-Prestige S's also blow them out of the water)
The hardware isn't good, and they bump the price up because its got an artists name on it.
You can find early-mid 90's S's for less than $500 that will destroy the Egen in terms of tone and playability.
If you were really trying to buy new, an Ibanez S570 would be a wayyyyy better option than an EGEN8. Although, I have to say that I really like the finish on the EGEN8.
i'd stay away from pretty much any signature really, most of the time you're paying extra money for a different finish and the artists name which is never really worth the money IMO

i would say as the others have, look into an old 90s MIJ S series Ibanez. one of the best guitars ever made, but if you like the EGEN8 and dont think any other guitar will do then thats totally your choice. play it and if you like it go for it, although that Edge III bridge is known for being rather shit
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Get the E-GEN 18, or don't get the sig at all. The E-Gen 8, as Tom said, is a ****ing joke. I don't know why they even have that. Its crappier than a normal S series, and yet it costs more. About 90% of its price is Herman Li's name.
See, this is why I posted this in the first place Ya'll know your stuff

Don't feel like you have to limit it to Ibanezs', if you know anything else that might suit me, i'd be glad to hear it

But, can you clarify to me what you mean by shit? I.e., is it tuning stability or...?
Last edited by Seddon1707 at Mar 25, 2011,
Its made of soft metal, so the knife edges wear pretty quickly (meaning the tuning stability isn't very good)
Quote by littlephil
Its made of soft metal, so the knife edges wear pretty quickly (meaning the tuning stability isn't very good)

Ahhh, right well that would be an issue (seeing as how I plan on keeping this for quite a while), thanks