I was just wondering how I could turn an active pickup into a passive one. I'm about to get a pair of EMG 85s but I don't have a lot of 9Vs and I don't like wasting them. I still need the high output maintained but if anyone can suggest ideas to ONLY REMOVE THE NEED OF THE 9-VOLT BATTERIES that would be appreciated. If you want to say no, then keep that to yourselves. Please and thank you.
There is no way to turn an active EMG pickup a passive pickup. The 9 volt batteries last forever anyways, so you will not be wasting them. If you want a high output passive pickup, you shouldn't have gotten EMG's...
Buy some EMG HZs if you're really intent on using EMGs but still go passive, otherwise it's not happening.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Buy a X2N or something
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
You can't make active pups passive and vice versa. Just how they're made. Really, the 9 volt isn't something you replace every other week... they last quite some time... many months... and still, if you reallllllyyyy can't have 9 volts in your pups and want em very hot, go with an X2N or such. There is a large abundance of passive pickups with very high output. Still, nothing really sounds like an active pickup so, if you can put up with the 9v's being changed out every half a year, than get the EMG's.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
With just 2 pickups a 9v battery should last a long time. For example if you were to play 3-4 hours a day with that particular guitar, the average 9v battery should last over a year.
I accidentally left my guitar plugged in for three days without realizing it, and have had that same battery in since last August. You have to try to kill them from overuse.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I'm about to get a pair of EMG 85s but I don't have a lot of 9Vs and I don't like wasting them

Thanks, that gave me a huge laugh. You could always build yourself a power supply and plug it in the wall and just put a power jack on the guitar somewhere.
Quote by Syriel
You could always get rechargeable 9v batteries.

I'm pretty sure EMG advises against using rechargeable 9v batteries with their pickups. I believe it's because the pickups are designed for use with alkaline batteries where as most, if not all, rechargeable batteries use nickel-metal hydride (which allows them to be recharged) and EMG does not advise the use of anything other than alkalines.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
^Yeah, I've heard that too.
Batteries will last for months anyway, and they aren't expensive. You should really only have to replace them 3-4 times a year if you're playing a few hours a day.
I've got three active guitars and in the last year I've only had to change two of the three batteries. Even when I only had one active guitar that was taking up all my time, a battery would last for the majority of a year, about 10 months or so. Even if you went all-out and were playing the guitar for several hours every single day of every week then a battery will last at least six months. Just use them as they're intended; not that you have a choice, you can't make active pickups passive regardless. It's simply not possible. If they could turn an active pickup passive while keeping the same power, why would they even make active pickups? Where do you think active pickups even get their output from, what do you think their preamps are powered by?
Quote by Tzuqris
Thanks, that gave me a huge laugh. You could always build yourself a power supply and plug it in the wall and just put a power jack on the guitar somewhere.

Lol I was actually going to say this. Randome power wire from the battery compartment to the outlet, assuming it's even possible.

Why bother getting EMGs if you don't want to use batteries?
Quote by siverstorm
Why bother getting EMGs if you don't want to use batteries?

You can't be brutal without EMGs!
Think of the batteries as sacrifices to Satan for letting you rock so hard.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Krauser
I'm pretty sure EMG advises against using rechargeable 9v batteries with their pickups. I believe it's because the pickups are designed for use with alkaline batteries where as most, if not all, rechargeable batteries use nickel-metal hydride (which allows them to be recharged) and EMG does not advise the use of anything other than alkalines.

the Construction of the batteries makes no difference, all the guitar cares about it volts. A ni-mh putting out 9 volts is the same an an akaline putting out 9 volts.

OP, LOL!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
You are talking one or 2 batteries a year. Thats maybe $3 - 8 per year. And if the other poster is correct & you dont need alkaline which I am inclined to agree with, you can get them at the dollar store. They may not last as long, but a dollar.......!!!!
Quote by joonhoahn01
I was just wondering how I could turn an active pickup into a passive one. I'm about to get a pair of EMG 85s but I don't have a lot of 9Vs and I don't like wasting them. I still need the high output maintained but if anyone can suggest ideas to ONLY REMOVE THE NEED OF THE 9-VOLT BATTERIES that would be appreciated. If you want to say no, then keep that to yourselves. Please and thank you.

If you really want to turn an active pickup into a passive one I'd suggest just making a new pickup from scratch. As that is essentially what you will end up doing except you'll be adding many steps like opening it up, unwinding the copper, remove the remaining electronics, then work back up from there. [that would essentially kill all value the pickup has]

Imo, it's too much work when i could just make a new pickup. That would sound relatively the same to the 85,

But if you really want to. There are no bars holding you.

EDIT:
Quote by Gundamnitpete

the Construction of the batteries makes no difference, all the guitar cares about it volts. A ni-mh putting out 9 volts is the same an an akaline putting out 9 volts.

OP, LOL!

Reason being is Ni-Mh material batteries don't have a constant amperage and voltage. Instead they fluctuate which during a show would cause some slight differences. (though you might not notice them at all )
Alkaline batteries though are near constant thus more reliable.

Plus they wouldn't just recommend against them for a slight reason.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Mar 24, 2011,
Quote by Krauser

I've never really understood the reasoning behind companies recommending this. In my experience rechargeables provide a more consistent voltage however it is a different voltage than acid/alkaline disposable batteries.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Quote by Deadlock Riff
If you really want to turn an active pickup into a passive one I'd suggest just making a new pickup from scratch. As that is essentially what you will end up doing except you'll be adding many steps like opening it up, unwinding the copper, remove the remaining electronics, then work back up from there. [that would essentially kill all value the pickup has]

Imo, it's too much work when i could just make a new pickup. That would sound relatively the same to the 85,

But if you really want to. There are no bars holding you.

EDIT:

Reason being is Ni-Mh material batteries don't have a constant amperage and voltage. Instead they fluctuate which during a show would cause some slight differences. (though you might not notice them at all )
Alkaline batteries though are near constant thus more reliable.

Plus they wouldn't just recommend against them for a slight reason.

suit yourself, rechareable= cheaper in the long run (they're like nothing from harbor frieght) and i can hear no difference.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by nitestick
I've never really understood the reasoning behind companies recommending this. In my experience rechargeables provide a more consistent voltage however it is a different voltage than acid/alkaline disposable batteries.

Voltage is the same, there are two types of voltage, more and less.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I was told by a tech not you use rechargeable batteries in audio equipment because instead of slowly dying they just cut out, which would be tragic at a gig. If this is true or not I don't know because I'v never needed to change my battery for my EMG
@jecox ssssoooo ssweeeet that whole set up is so sweet. If I had any distortion/delay setup it would be the akai headrush and BM. Awesome set up.

Quote by Somekid94
There is no way to turn an active EMG pickup a passive pickup. The 9 volt batteries last forever anyways, so you will not be wasting them. If you want a high output passive pickup, you shouldn't have gotten EMG's...

I definitely told you to keep that to yourself.
Quote by Tzuqris

That's what I mean! I'm planning on using an AC adapter just like the way I could to my pedal! Anyone with a some sort of a mod guide? I also could use a ridiculously long adapter as well, if only I can find out how to make one.
Quote by Pink Muse
You can't be brutal without EMGs!
Think of the batteries as sacrifices to Satan for letting you rock so hard.

Er... not exactly... although I like their maximum output...
Quote by grohl1987
I've got three active guitars and in the last year I've only had to change two of the three batteries. Even when I only had one active guitar that was taking up all my time, a battery would last for the majority of a year, about 10 months or so. Even if you went all-out and were playing the guitar for several hours every single day of every week then a battery will last at least six months. Just use them as they're intended; not that you have a choice, you can't make active pickups passive regardless. It's simply not possible. If they could turn an active pickup passive while keeping the same power, why would they even make active pickups? Where do you think active pickups even get their output from, what do you think their preamps are powered by?

Every second you say that, I can see a 9V draining out all of a sudden the very next day.
Quote by Krauser
You can't make active pups passive and vice versa. Just how they're made. Really, the 9 volt isn't something you replace every other week... they last quite some time... many months... and still, if you reallllllyyyy can't have 9 volts in your pups and want em very hot, go with an X2N or such. There is a large abundance of passive pickups with very high output. Still, nothing really sounds like an active pickup so, if you can put up with the 9v's being changed out every half a year, than get the EMG's.

Even on pedals they drain too quickly that I ended up getting a 9v adapter. Seriously, they only last a day.
Quote by Syriel
You could always get rechargeable 9v batteries.

I can see that working, too, if only I could buy a charger for it.
The edit button is there for a reason...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
WAIT

This thread is NOT DEAD as I did not get my answer yet.

Also, it is not even that old.
Last edited by joonhoahn01 at Nov 3, 2011,