I need to buy a new amp head really soon. I play 60's rock, a bit of light punk/pop-punk.
I have an epiphone les paul standard and gibson melody maker.
Example of bands i like; foxboro hot tubs, green day, ramones..etc.

I've shortlisted to 3 amps and i need your help choosing fast!

http://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_mustang_v_head.htm
http://www.thomann.de/ie/marshall_mg100hfxnew.htm
http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=10772&cid=36

I know you guys will probably say that these amps are terrible cos "they don't hav ze tubez man"...but due to budgetary constraints, and time constraints, these are my options. so out of these three, what's the best bet for me?
Yeah, the MG is a no go, everyone will agree. The fender mustang isnt that bad, its definately one of the better cheap modelers as far as I'm aware, seems nice to use aswell.

How about looking up what your more favourite artists used.. seeing how much those amps, and similar sounding amps go for used. You can try ebay and gumtree, and in the gear ads on here using the search function up there ^^ tons of nice gear on the used market go cheap, you could get lucky!
Mesa/Boogie Studio Pre | Marshall EL34 50/50 Power | Harley Benton 2x12 V30's

How do you like, your mids in the morning?
So buy a combo if your budget is that tight and look for a 2nd hand laney Vc15/30

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
trying......not......to......suggest.........save.......your......money.........gaaaahhhhH!!

seriously though out of those choices. id say the fender. i have played one they arent too bad.

why such a rush? why cant u save up for something that you will like because if you settle with something quick you will be out the cash you could have spent on something worthwhile.
if you have a show soon cant u borrow from a friend?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Yes i have a cab, it's nothing amazing, but it's decent (it's one a family friend built..). Btw, just to clarify, i'm not new guitar...been playing a while, i'm just poor that's all :P

where I'm from (cork, ireland), there doesn't really seem to be many decent 2nd hand prospects (annoying thing about being from a small country i suppose). That's why i was looking at these amps. I know full well that spending money on a decent tube amp will garner better results, but for now i need an amp, as my old amp head has been robbed from me, and my band has a couple of gigs booked..

So to keep things on the topic of the three amps i've selected, for the sort of music outlined....the fender is probably the best so?

edit; just read somebody suggesting to borrow an amp from a friend...that's a no-go i'm afraid...as none of my friends play guitar (one of these days i must enlighten them)
Last edited by Stuie2081 at Mar 24, 2011,
Look into Bugera. But I would say the Fender out of the ones your looking at.
I'm sure you could get something used from Northern Ireland picked up and delivered to you in the time it would take to get one of those amps to you.

BTW, Cork is my favorite Irish county
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Please
Noobs - if you want real 'What Amp' help please provide the following:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
I looked into bugera, their v55hd head sounds good, and i love their 1960 head, but i've heard of so many horror stories that i don't think i could comfortably buy one..
Quote by Stuie2081
I looked into bugera, their v55hd head sounds good, and i love their 1960 head, but i've heard of so many horror stories that i don't think i could comfortably buy one..

As long as you dont buy used you'd be fine
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Just like to give an update....i managed to come across a very nice guitar player at a jam session at my local bar...he was using a vox ac30vr, which my melody maker and i had to try...he heard about my problem and promptly let me borrow it (which was sound in fairness). And once i have the cash, i can buy it off him for 400....very sweet sounding amp in my opionion, and perfect for the sound i want.

So, that's it, problem solved by a rather lucky turn of events Thanks for all the input dudes, even though i didn't choose between the 3 in the end, i'm pretty sure this thread'll help some other ug'ers
The world's best-selling music artists lists artists with claims of 50 million or more record sales in multiple third-party reliable sources. The sales figures within the provided sources include sales of albums, singles, compilation-albums, music videos as well as downloads of singles and full-length albums.
I can honestly say I have not had any problems with my Bugera and they have great customer support (or so Ive heard)