I have my guitar currently in E standard tuning with 9-42 strings (Ernie Ball Super Slinky's) and I want to put in in Drop D. I have a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's which are 10-46. Thing I'm wondering is, will the tension stay relatively the same with the floating bridge? I know my 5 higher strings are going to be heavier and thus tighter in standard but I'm hoping that the loss in tension of my low E going down to a D will help keep everything relatively stable. Will I be able to avoid having to redo my intonation and will my neck need to be adjusted? If it will, I won't even bother changing the setup right now. Thanks!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
I think it should be okay. I put my super slinky's in D and don't seem to have an issue. Depending on your action you may get some fret buzz... You could try it and see what happens...
I did that with my ibanez and my neck just did like wtf and told me that my strings were not tuned. So basically my tention on my 6th string whent down so my tension on my other strings whent u so it detuned everything
Quote by Krauser
I have my guitar currently in E standard tuning with 9-42 strings (Ernie Ball Super Slinky's) and I want to put in in Drop D. I have a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's which are 10-46. Thing I'm wondering is, will the tension stay relatively the same with the floating bridge? I know my 5 higher strings are going to be heavier and thus tighter in standard but I'm hoping that the loss in tension of my low E going down to a D will help keep everything relatively stable. Will I be able to avoid having to redo my intonation and will my neck need to be adjusted? If it will, I won't even bother changing the setup right now. Thanks!

I put my 9-42 super slinky's all the way down to Drop B and C# when I played some Machine Head. Played out wonderfully.
And when I put them back to E, everything was normal.
Also depends on your guitar.
Your neck shouldnt need to be adjusted but your trem springs might need to be tightened slightly.

The low e string will be about the same tension as your current one but the rest will be a little tighter, shouldnt affect things too drastically though.
Depends on your guitar.

If you switch from standard to dropped D frequently, I would suggest Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys or something to that effect. Your G B E strings are like a set of 9's, but your E A D strings are like a set of 10's. You'll maintain good tension for your bridge with minimal adjustments
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Ok word. really the only thing I'm concerned about is having to mess with the neck and the intonation. I'm not worried about the trem springs because it's a ZR and it just means turning the wheel a little instead of changing out springs. I'd leave the 9-42's on in Drop D but the low E is just too wobbly haha thanks for the quick responses!
Taylor 214CE

Last edited by Krauser at Mar 24, 2011,
The intonation wont be perfect but it should be good enough to practice with until you are 100% set that you like the strings.
If you're only going to drop D, you shouldn't need to adjust anything. Any lower and you might.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Ok so the 42's are relatively new and I kept them all on but made the low E the 46 and kept the rest the same. Everything is perfect like before. Only thing is, the Low E in D with the 46 is a teeny bit sharp at the 12th fret but it's great. So yeah, I changed one string. I like this the best actually. I liked the tension of the 9-42 set but the 46 on the low E in D is perfect! If I put the whole set on, it would be mad tight now that I think of it.

You think if I go to guitar center and buy a pack of 9-42's and ask for a spare low E in 46 they'll give it to me hahaha because I love this right now! Perfection!
Taylor 214CE

I used to use my Super Slinkys for everything from Drop B all the way up to E Standard, never any problems
Quote by Shinozoku
No, the guitar was built to play metal. Not pussy ass cowboy chords. They won't work on that guitar. Get a Gibson Hummingbird for that bullshit. .
UG'ers of Newfoundland
I have a floating bridge too. Everytime I go to drop D, I have to retune the whole thing. But it doesn't do any damage as far as I can tell.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24