Hey there forum, I haven't posted anything in a long time, but I'm finally happy enough with a creation to share it with you guys.

It's a song I wrote for my band, and after a couple of tries finally got it recorded well. It's one of my first mixes ever, so any advise on that or the song would be really welcome.

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtpaXrFeP6Q
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Nice song, though theres some things you can work on.
Work on improving the guitar tone a lil bit its ok right now but it can be improved. How are you recording them? If you're using a mic experiment some with different positions. Once you find a sweet spot you'll be good. I found the vocals a bit too loud, lower them a bit. Also sometimes the vocal levels fluctuated some, try to keep them at the same level.

Now on the song writing itself, really nice opening intro and solo/instrumental part at the end. the only thing I would change is after the singer finishes singing in the part around 1:25 it doesn't transition that well back into the guitar. Maybe if you didn't change the drum track i might work a lil better. So just work with it and once you're done you'll have yourself a awesome song.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425045
Hey cool song man!

I liked the structure and the song itself, but the levels weren't that great. I would advise you to make kick drum and overheads louder, and bring the vocals down. The vocals were ok, but they sounded really flat or something, I can't quite describe what I mean, it just sounds kinda emotionless.

The solo was badass, sounds really good with the chugging in the background
I'd have to say, the song was pretty dang good. my concerns.

The kicks were a little quiet, guitars were missing that punch that the kicks bring.

The vocals sound like the singer was a little embarassed maybe? not sure, a little lifeless. Vocals did come in and out tho, maybe try a bit more compression.

The solo was really well written, but that area of the song sounded a bit empty, maybe throw a *slight* delay or reverb on the guitar, and maybe have the bass walk around the melody a bit, to liven things up.

All in all tho, really really good. i enjoyed it. BTW, i'm gonna rerecord mine, so hopefully your have a listen to the second one and crit again? would be much appreciated
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Duuuuude, I'm just listening to it now and I've gotta say, the guitar solo in it is f*cking siiick. If that's your playing, then good job man!!

Quote by Gundamnitpete
The vocals sound like the singer was a little embarassed maybe? not sure, a little lifeless. Vocals did come in and out tho, maybe try a bit more compression.

I agree with this statement. Your singer is trying not to sound loud. He needs to sound as loud as he can, haha! He's got a good voice, but sounds like he's singing into a Rock Band microphone and trying not to wake his parents in the other room.

The lead guitar at 00:28 NEEDS reverb and/or delay. Add that, turn it down a bit, and pan it hard to one side, and it'll sound killer. Overall, you should experiment with reverbs. They'll bring a lot of life to this track. Don't put much, if any, on the rhythm guitars, bass, or drums...but on lead guitar lines and vocals, reverb/delay is a must.

Also, pan the vocals around in different parts to create emphasis on different phrases. Add multiple vocal parts and harmonies. Vocals are one of the most fun things to play around with, so try it! You'll find some cool sounds.

I also really like the guitar tone. Like, a lot. The tone itself is killer, the other instruments need to come together around it, and you'll have an insanely good sounding song! Keep at it, man!
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Can't add anything other than what has been said but Boy is that song awesome.
Your singer is trying not to sound loud. He needs to sound as loud as he can, haha! He's got a good voice, but sounds like he's singing into a Rock Band microphone and trying not to wake his parents in the other room.

this.

your singer doesn't sound terrible, but he can do better takes, don't just settle for an "okay" take, keep recording the same line over and over until you think "yeah, he nailed that, he gave it real balls" he sounds like he's talking in tune, and his timing needs some work.

the riffing is pretty decent, some places it feels like it needs a couple more takes to tighten it up, and maybe a little less gain and a little more attention to muting it for the stops (espescially in the snare and bassdrum synced bits (if that makes sense)

crit would be appreciated on my cheesy metalcore ep :-)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1425727
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
What'd you use to record everything?

At first it reminded me of Megadeth, then of early Trivium in places. I'd say drums would need to come up a bit. I didn't really like the vocals, I can only assume it was a shitty mic, no pop shield? I do like some parts of the vocals, like at 2.13 - something about opening fire? I don'tt overly like the solo, maybe it needs re-done/make up a new one, I like the part after that, it shows that the singer knows what he's doing, but maybe he needs to belt it out more. Vocals are too high, they aren't clear, drums needa be brought up. Good enough song, reminds me of when Megadeth were my favourite band
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
The mix is really quiet. The vocals come in too loud, but the singer sounds like he's trying not to overpower the mix (and is failing, thanks to someone leaning on the volume control).

The guitar tone is really good. The drums are good. However, despite being the best parts of the song, those two are too quiet. The vocalist sounds embarrassed to be singing and overpowering the mix - get the man to just sing out and mix it down as necessary. The song was good, but poor mixing got in the way of things. I hear some early Trivium in there mixed with a helping of Iron Maiden in places (especially the Bailey era). It's a good combination, but it could be better if you spent a little more time on the mix.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26784175
Thanks for all your helpful comments everyone, I'll try to take all these things in account with further things I recorded,and they will definitly help with improving this mix, but I think I'll have to rerecord the vocals. Your tip on using a pop-shield is a pretty good one ilovepepsi! As are most of your comments.

Many thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment on my song!

Here is what I used for recording:
Guitars:
ESP LTD-M200FM with stock pups through an Engl Powerball
ESP LTD KH-202 with EMG's through an Engl Powerbal.
Drums are done with Drumkit from Hell together with samples for snare and bass.
Bass is some kind of Squier through an Ashdown MAG EVO II
Recording interface used was my Phonic Helix Board
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4