Page 3 of 59
I can't grow a beard or a moustache
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Quote by stellar_legs
My beard has been my identity for years. I've shaved a few times but immediately grew it back. My friend works at the job I'm applying for and he recommended I do a moustache because they all had one. It worked.
That's just stupid, though, if you ask me.

In my religion, some of the people consider a well-trimmed goaty beard to be unacceptable, while a mustache is fine and quite common.

The logic of that is just bewildering. In fact, there is no logic to it, it's simply people believing they're still living in the 60's, where woman are only allowed to make sandwiches and computers are the size of my house.

Quote by mouthofsky
animal collective fans out there still?

i just saw oddsac, and i ****ing loved it.
Hmmm.. I'll have to look into them.

Quote by Sticky Tissues
my beard's kind of been my thing the last year- I started growing one (nothing huge, just elevated scruff essentially) last semester and I've been getting really good responses so I'm keeping it for a while. it was kind of something I did for myself after breaking up with my ex last spring (we used to have this thing about how I'd only shave when i saw her) and growing out my beard makes me feel really independent. I find them to be kindof polarizing though- some girls tell me they adore it but I have some guy friends who detest it. it's odd. I haven't run into the job problem yet though, so we'll see.

sometimes I like to take a trip in the time machine and shave it all off. its strange- like seeing a different person in the mirror. but it definitely suits me, at least for now, so its going to stay for a while.
I did that, too. But I kinda did the opposite.

My ex girlfriend used to prefer my hair long but I always kept it short because it's what I prefered. Then when we broke up, I grew my hair long and grew my beard properly as well. I haven't shaved since then and only get my hair 6 times a year.
I once quit a job because they demanded that all employees be clean shaven. They let me get away with a lot of stubble because I was their best employee... but one day I came in and said if they wouldn't let me grow a beard I was quitting and that I already had another job lined up if they weren't willing to bend the rule.

It's about the only time I've ever done something as bad ass as calling out the boss and I flipped a table on the way out (given it was a tiny end table in the common room... and then I felt so bad I had to go back and reset it and apologize to the boss for letting my adrenaline get the best of me ) </story time>

Seriously, if you could only do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be (job, hobby, whatever... just that's the only thing you can do besides eat bread, drink water, sleep/other essentials for being alive)?
Last edited by ZanasCross at Mar 28, 2011,
I've always had aspirations of being a writer or a musician, but in a more doable sense I've always loved the idea of opening a bar with live music. Dayton's a dead city but the cool bars here that have bands on the weekends do well and the owners at all of them are great and enjoy what they do. The entire staff at the bar I help around at are like a big family and some of the best people I know. I would like that - running a bar, making drinks, booking bands, building a community.
Poor advice.
I agree with Randy. There's something about running a bar. Unfortunately I think it would be much less romantic than I envision it.
Quote by stellar_legs
I've always had aspirations of being a writer or a musician, but in a more doable sense I've always loved the idea of opening a bar with live music. Dayton's a dead city but the cool bars here that have bands on the weekends do well and the owners at all of them are great and enjoy what they do. The entire staff at the bar I help around at are like a big family and some of the best people I know. I would like that - running a bar, making drinks, booking bands, building a community.

In the words of bukowski, "you don't want to be a writer. you want to be succesful at writing." you are already a writer.
Quote by ZanasCross

Seriously, if you could only do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be (job, hobby, whatever... just that's the only thing you can do besides eat bread, drink water, sleep/other essentials for being alive)?

Smooches!
I'd be a chef. I want to be a lawyer rather than a chef (I want my hobbies to stay hobbies) but if I had to choose between being a lawyer and never cooking again vs. being a chef, I'd choose being a chef.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
That's just stupid, though, if you ask me.

In my religion, some of the people consider a well-trimmed goaty beard to be unacceptable, while a mustache is fine and quite common.

The logic of that is just bewildering. In fact, there is no logic to it, it's simply people believing they're still living in the 60's, where woman are only allowed to make sandwiches and computers are the size of my house.

Hmmm.. I'll have to look into them.

I did that, too. But I kinda did the opposite.

My ex girlfriend used to prefer my hair long but I always kept it short because it's what I prefered. Then when we broke up, I grew my hair long and grew my beard properly as well. I haven't shaved since then and only get my hair 6 times a year.

hahaha man I used to worry that the beard was the reason for it, but I kinda woke up and realized I was doing it for myself. very empowering in an odd way. like taking control of who you are, even if its with something little like a beard.
Quote by clichealias
In the words of bukowski, "you don't want to be a writer. you want to be succesful at writing." you are already a writer.

(sorry for the double post)

I love you.
Quote by BleedAway

You have the same name as my beard?!?!

Quote by rd93
THERE HE IS!!

*pokeball*

Quote by ZanasCross

Write.

I could do so much more if all I had to worry about is essential living. I despise money. It's probably the most useless human invention.

Whoever first said "Hey... I'll buy that shiny rock for three sea shells..." should be shot in the face.
Quote by ZanasCross

I would be a subsistence farmer and I would farm. I would build my own little house on a big ol' field and grow all my food and have a gigantic library and read and write and eat the food I grow, and have a nice, intelligent, pretty farmer wife and little farmer children and teach them stuff about life.

And I wouldn't have internet, so if I disappear one day, you guys will know I'm off farming somewhere and maybe you can drop by and try some of my margherita pizza or stuffed squash, all of which I grew and made myself. It's quite tasty, hypothetically.

Really though, that's my ideal life. Alas, I'm going to be a doctor because I don't know shit about farming and I do know shit about science and people and helping them. Maybe I'll have a little garden in the side yard of my modernist house on the edge of a cliff, and a wife who has read a book about farmers once, and children who know what farming is, and their 15 year old lip gloss digital babysitter will show them Saw III and 40 Year Old Virgin and teach them about life...
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Last edited by Ganoosh at Mar 28, 2011,
Randy, my brother and I have had serious conversations about starting up a bar in my town/city. The selection we have that regularly plays good music, even just on a jukebox, is ridiculous. We don't have any, to put it bluntly. Considering that most people view Ireland as the drinking capitol of the world, you'd think they'd be at least one bar that regularly played good music and had the right atmosphere.
Quote by ZanasCross

Seriously, if you could only do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be

does sitting and wanking count as two things?
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
Hey fellow S&L'ers. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of the band Cymbals Eat Guitars? They're very Pavement-esque and they write the best lyrics of any band I've heard in a long time...
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Hi S+L, thought I'd get out of the pit more often.

Quote by ZanasCross

Theoretical physics, I absolutely love physics.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
hi

Quote by UncleRemus
Hey fellow S&L'ers. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of the band Cymbals Eat Guitars? They're very Pavement-esque and they write the best lyrics of any band I've heard in a long time...

yeah theyre awesome. I saw em last fall with the pains of being pure at heart and depreciation guild and they killed it. plus the new tracks from the upcoming album are really good too.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by jiminizzle

yeah theyre awesome. I saw em last fall with the pains of being pure at heart and depreciation guild and they killed it. plus the new tracks from the upcoming album are really good too.

Man, am I excited for that new album. Those guys are pretty damn talented.... Pains of Being Pure at Heart are good, too.
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Quote by 剣 斧 血
Hi S+L, thought I'd get out of the pit more often.

We've had a few Pit dwellers stop by S&L recently. It's cool.
I don't think he's really a savant. He certainly has limitations, but Asperger's is being eliminated and rediagnosed as mild autism. And mild autism and social issues are often confused. He seems to be able to function and deal with people, so I think he's fine.

Also, people who are this precocious often have social issues because they don't fit into any social group but their own. They're far too advanced for their age group, or even significantly above their age group. The only people who can talk with them are older men/women who are experts in the field. This leads to poor social development.

The only part that hints to mild autism is the lack of early development, but that's not uncommon.
Quote by 剣 斧 血

Experimentalists are where it's at. Not that I'm biased or anything....

Also, hopefully the kid solves the big bang contradictions before 15yrs old. A lot of times, kids that gifted lose a lot of their gift during puberty when the brain chemicals shift and start producing differently. Neuroscience hasn't pinned down what shift makes them lose the gifts... but they have certainly confirmed the losses.
He's a smart kid, there's no doubting that.

However, I wonder what allows him to remember like that, and if we all have that ability to remember, or is it more in his personality?

Regardless, he has a bright future.
Quote by skagitup
hell hath no fury like a woman's snore

...or a roommate's snore. Mine sound's like a tractor running over a deer.
Quote by skagitup
hell hath no fury like a woman's snore

YOU. where are you??
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Regarding the physics kid. I hope this kid will actually do something with this talent. I'm just skeptical because you see quite a few people in the media that stir up a lot of reaction then just dissappear.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Ireland is now approaching 14% unemployment. Apparently, if it hits a certain statistic something very bad sounding is going to happen. I can't remember the phrase it uses, but it doesn't sound pleasant.